Welcome to Gaia! ::

What is beauty?
Im feeling pretty discussive... and this didnt seem worthy of the chatterbox...
give me your thoughts about this

Its defined in the dicitonary as: the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).

But is that really it?
how about posting pictures? to your liking or not,
what is beauty? Can we understand it... why are we drawn to it?

this is me about a month ago
what is it im trying to achieve in this picture? what are we all trying to achieve?
User Image
Perhaps this is too deep of thought of a question
why are we drawn to it? beauty brings us pleasure. when something gives you pleasure, you are drawn to it.

and in any picture where a person poses: you are trying to be accepted.
every single human being on this planet is trying to be accepted by someone or the rest of society in one way or another.

as the great quote goes: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
there is no set "this is beautiful and this is not"
it will alway be different to different people
Koji_magyar
why are we drawn to it? beauty brings us pleasure. when something gives you pleasure, you are drawn to it.

every single human being on this planet is trying to be accepted by someone or the rest of society in one way or another.

i suppose, but still... why do we shun those who are not to our liking?
and we do we shun those who are different?
it takes a lot for me to call someone beautiful.

it takes a blink of an eye just to call someone cute, or hot.

to call someone beautiful, means you see the real them.

many people are ******** hot as hell, and gorgeous, but i dont necessarily see them as beautiful.
they can still be ugly if they're horrible people.
Ellyn

many people are ******** hot as hell, and gorgeous, but i dont necessarily see them as beautiful.

true, there are different types of apeal, thats interesting, i wonder if feeling someone is cute is a natural or learned response
my own definition of beauty is: something that brings a great feeling of happiness and belonging.
like: I think a rose is beautiful because the smell of it and the touch of it's petals make me feel happy.
or I think a woman's body is beautiful because its curves, its softness, its fluid look makes me feel happy and one with the world.

it doesn't even have to be an object but just a simple situation like: seeing a baby smile, or the feeling you get when you're with your friends without a care in the world.
Kazuuya
Ellyn

true, there are different types of apeal, thats interesting, i wonder if feeling someone is cute is a natural or learned response

I usually call people cute if they have a certain naive quality to them, or if they seem younger than me physically.
I believe it's sort of a natural response.
babies need lavishing attention to them, and to gain attention, they need to be cute.
ugly babies are often seen as unhealthy and tossed aside.
like spartans, and many other civilizations before that, any sort of mishapement or disgusting quality to them-they'd be deemed as bad spawn and killed.
Koji_magyar
my own definition of beauty is: something that brings a great feeling of happiness and belonging.
like: I think a rose is beautiful because the smell of it and the touch of it's petals make me feel happy.
or I think a woman's body is beautiful because its curves, its softness, its fluid look makes me feel happy and one with the world.

it doesn't even have to be an object but just a simple situation like: seeing a baby smile, or the feeling you get when you're with your friends without a care in the world.

I really like this thought, beauty is another way of saying happiness...

there is also that feeling of wanting to be perfect though... where has that come about, who said that this is perfect and that isnt...
This brings us to the question what is affection, as you feel affection towards a baby, why not a dirty hobo?

Do we more turn to those that appeal than those who many not be visually appealing?
Kazuuya
Koji_magyar

i suppose, but still... why do we shun those who are not to our liking?
and we do we shun those who are different?

it's human nature to stave away from something that brings us great displeasure or something that is not completely "for the good of the human race"
way way back when: anything different or not to the rest of society's liking, was shunned simply because they did not want that trait to be bread to the next generation, and we still have that:"if it's not good for the human race, it must not be accepted" mentality
hopefully most humans evolve to get over that primitive instinct someday.

you should ask yourself: why are you attracted to one girl and not the other? what makes the one so much more likable than the other? but when it comes to the opposite sex, the little things called "pheromones" comes into the picture.
mmm,good point...

pharamones(sp?)... i guess it comes down to the body's natural repsonse after the concious checks of beauty, cuteness, sexual appeal... judgement
Kazuuya
Koji_magyar

I really like this thought, beauty is another way of saying happiness...

there is also that feeling of wanting to be perfect though... where has that come about, who said that this is perfect and that isnt...

media, people in power, the majority of powerful people decided that a long time ago. what they liked was the ultimate thing to strive for. so probably one day a rich man or a famous person decided that they liked half starved women instead of fat ones (like back in the colonial days and way before that, fat women were beautiful because that meant they were from a family wealthy enough to have that much food.) odd

kind of like hitler thought only white skinned, blond haired, blue eyed, athletic people were beautiful and that was what was to be the thing to strive for
thank you, this has been enlightening biggrin , im off to bed now good night

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces