Yes. 0.49206349206349 49.2% [ 31 ]
Not yet. 0.28571428571429 28.6% [ 18 ]
Not for a while. 0.015873015873016 1.6% [ 1 ]
NEVER!!! 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 7 ]
POLL!!! 0.095238095238095 9.5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 63 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Invisible Senshi

A while ago, I got a text message from an ex I never wanted to see again.
Long story short: he told me to grow up and be an adult.

After that, I really wondered what it meant to be an adult.

This is what I think:
An adult is simply a human who is at least 18 years old.
There is no correct way for an adult to act.
Many of them party and drink/do drugs.
The difference between an adult and a kid is the adult is stressed and worn out from life.
One thing adults and children have in common is that you can expect that in every group, there is a at least one bully/"powerful" person somewhere...
Many adults are not responsible. (I've heard that they are.)
You have to have a kid to be an adult.
You have to be happy to see everyone from your past in order to be an adult.

What exactly IS an adult? A human who is 18 years and older?

What do you guys think? =)
Do you have a list of ADULT characteristics?

(I will not include a SURVEY.
Surveys seem to upset some users on Gaiaonline.com.)
Not throwing tantrums. Not being an immature t**t. Children are generally selfish, insolent & awful. Not all of them mind you, & plenty of "adults" act that way too, but I think what's considered "adult" behavior would be "mature" behavior, regardless of age. Kindness, consideration for others, etc.

Wealthy Hoarder

Here is a question? What happened to make him say that..

In order to answer though, and adult is a person who is old enough to make decisons and simply, put, must go work x amount of hours so they can gain money.

That money is than used to purches important objects such as..Car, house, and mayb pay for their own children.

An adult is a person that must show maturity (or not) in some situations.

Pretty simply being an adult doesn't mean you have to give up things you love to do.

Invisible Senshi

Srintella Tiagara

I thought I hinted at it ^_^"
An ex I never wanted to see again.
He wanted to hang out and I did not want to. He got upset and told me to grow up. It's that simple.
Zultim
Srintella Tiagara

He wanted to hang out and I did not want to. He got upset and told me to grow up. It's that simple.
You don't owe him anything; telling him no doesn't make you immature, hon'. At all.
An adult is someone who is responsible and can own up to their mistakes. They learn as oppose to making excuses. They understand what is and isn't important and have the self control to choose what's needed over what's wanted.

Invisible Senshi

Foxydoe
Zultim
Srintella Tiagara

You don't owe him anything; telling him no doesn't make you immature, hon'. At all.

I thought so, too...but I guess he won't see it that way.
After that message, I'm really wondering what an adult is. lol That's why I'm asking everyone xD

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
He sounds vague and nutty and hardly old enough to lecture someone else on adulthood.

Being an adult is setting your own bedtime and actually reading the mail you get in the mailbox. Everything else is subjective.

Don't over-complicate it. It'll be okay. emotion_hug

Invisible Senshi

British Tourettes
An adult is someone who is responsible and can own up to their mistakes. They learn as oppose to making excuses. They understand what is and isn't important and have the self control to choose what's needed over what's wanted.

It sounds like you are onto something!
The needed/wanted thing is something I never really thought about...

Invisible Senshi

MemoriesOfGreen
He sounds vague and nutty and hardly old enough to lecture someone else on adulthood.

Being an adult is setting your own bedtime and actually reading the mail you get in the mailbox. Everything else is subjective.

Don't over-complicate it. It'll be okay. emotion_hug

Aw, thank you! I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm bothered by the message. I got bothered by the definition of a word... sweatdrop

Your idea of an adult is interesting!
(I wish I knew about the mail part a few years ago lol)
Discovering that adults don't really know what they're doing either.

Wealthy Hoarder

Zultim
Srintella Tiagara

Well he's mature isn't he?

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I reckon it means you know you aint gonna get what you want sometimes
or ever

so you jus remember whats good
even if it aint what you wanted

Blessed Prophet

I think being an adult is keeping an open mind, wanting to learn, being able to love and have compassion for others, to put others before yourself (as in the case of having children for example), to be able to not give in to peer pressure, to stand up for yourself and what you believe in. I could keep going...

Age doesn't always determine whether someone is an adult either, you could be 50 and still act/be like a spoiled child. Legally, 18 is the age of adulthood in this country, but adulthood is also determined by culture and customs. There are places where the age 16 is considered an adult. Some people/children are forced into adulthood, such as those that are in a poor family and must help take care of/are the sole provider of younger siblings/family members.

Adulthood is both a mental and physical state in my opinion.

Tiny Tipper

to me, adulthood is responsibility and accountability.
you are responsible for handling your life and the affairs about it - bills, food, relationships .. and you are accountable for the mistakes you make in regards to these things.
your hobbies, interests, and mindset has nothing to do with adulthood or not. IMO I will always be a child 4laugh

you shouldn't have to be an adult to be respectful and understanding of your fellow humans - being a child doesn't give you an excuse or a get-out-of-jail-free card. :T

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff