Welcome to Gaia! ::

My father was diagnosed with cancer last year. Ever since then I've had a hatred of holidays and even special occasions.
Christmas, my friend died and I was sad about it for some time. I acted completely normal, however.. But my mum yelled at me that it was dad's last christmas.
Birthdays are the same. What the ******** do you get someone who is dying? How do you celebrate them?

Well next week is my mother's 50th and my father's 70th.
And suggestions of what to get them are needed.

I'm fifteen and work casual part time so funds are quite low right now. Uh, almost non-existant. biggrin

So please feel free to chip in ideas..
Discuss whatever you can from this topic, etc.

Dapper Man-Lover

Being diagnosed with cancer technically isn't a death sentence; there's always the possibility of remission.

Having had a mother who died of it, though, I can tell you that it's not a good idea to act somber around him or ever refer to ANY occasion as "his last." The fact of the matter is that people who are sick want to be treated as though they are not. They want to be able to enjoy the rest of their life without having people constantly crying, acting sympathetic, showing pity, looking depressed, etc.

Just ask him what he wants for his birthday or pay attention to him for a bit and get him something he likes.

Accept the fact that he MAY die eventually/soon (which, to be quite honest, you should have already if he's seventy), but don't treat him as though he is going to. Get him something nice that he's hinted that he would enjoy.

Seeker

get him a card that says don't be sad, i'll see you in hell.

Dainty Doll

Then make them something!

Costs less money, and parents usually prefer that kind of thing anyway.

What about baking him a birthday cake?
Shadow Coon II
Being diagnosed with cancer technically isn't a death sentence; there's always the possibility of remission.

Having had a mother who died of it, though, I can tell you that it's not a good idea to act somber around him or ever refer to ANY occasion as "his last." The fact of the matter is that people who are sick want to be treated as though they are not. They want to be able to enjoy the rest of their life without having people constantly crying, acting sympathetic, showing pity, looking depressed, etc.

Just ask him what he wants for his birthday or pay attention to him for a bit and get him something he likes.

Accept the fact that he MAY die eventually/soon (which, to be quite honest, you should have already if he's seventy), but don't treat him as though he is going to. Get him something nice that he's hinted that he would enjoy.

It is a death sentence though.
It's in the late stages and there's no chance of remission, it's spread far too much.
I got offered bereavement counselling (from the hospital) on the second day since we'd found out.
I'm not stupid.

I don't act somber around him, I don't refer to things as his 'last'. Only when I think about it.
I don't act like that, my friend died and it didn't phase me that much.

My parents are passionless and lack real interests. surprised

So he hasn't hinted at anything. My parents are the type of people who always b***h about not wanting anything. biggrin
A Queen Of Snow

Are you retarded or something love? surprised
Tute Sweet
Then make them something!

Costs less money, and parents usually prefer that kind of thing anyway.

What about baking him a birthday cake?

A lot of people suggested that but I'm not artistic so I don't know......

...And I can't cook either. At all. Even the premixed cakes and stuff. Doesn't work out for me. xd

Ladykiller

User Image

Although I'm not your father, if I were in his position, I'd honestly just want to spend as much time with my daughter and loved ones as possible.

Kind of a cheesy cheap-o cliche answer that doesn't help you but perhaps you can buy a small gift and DO something versus buying something. If he can't get up, perhaps you can rent movies, color stuff, draw, paint, really, there's many possibilities.

If he's bed ridden (which I assume he is, if not there's a lot more you can do) then I suggest something with small crafts.

If he's not, perhaps go out to a park and celebrate his birthday?

I don't know if I'm any help but that's all I can come up with. sad User Image
I suggest a jigsaw puzzle.
My great gran is 86, she loves to do puzzles.
She also likes doing these little things where you sew a picture into a frame, i'm not sure what they're called.

Does he like doing constructive things do you know?

Seeker

Euphoric Whore
A Queen Of Snow

Are you retarded or something love? surprised

unfortunately, only around people who are very condescending. neutral
Q: How do I bought my dying father a present?
A: Under no circumstances should you get him a jig-saw puzzle. That was just baaaaad advice.
Nostalgia.

I know if I had cancer I would love to relive moments with the ones I loved.

Get hims something nostalgic, put together something that holds memories. Make a family picture collage if you have lots of family pictures... DONT BE AFRAID OF BABY PICTURES!! They are the cutest.

To someone who may not be in this world much longer, things probably dont hold much value. The life they have lead though does a lot. Let him know how much of a difference he has made in your life.

Because, for a parent, I think that is what they would like most from their child.

Just a thought.
Make a scrapbook with lots of pictures&things. Just memorable things. Yes, it will bring tears. There is no doubt about that. But it can be nice to look at pictures to bring the good times back and everything.

Good luck.

'End
Buy a simple sponge cake and icing and some icing pens and decorate his cake.
Maybe get plain photoframes and decorate one for your mum and one for your dad and put pictures of each of them in both.
i would suggest a gag gift...you and him already know that you are going to be sad....why spoil the moment, reminiscing and saying get well....MAKE HIM LAUGH! i suggest a blow up doll or an exotic dancer....well...maybe nothing that extreme...but there is nothing greater than the memory of both of you laughing together.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff