Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Bloodsucker

No matter what I do people refer to me as he/sir, etc. I don't necessarily want to be referred to as she/ma'am or whatever, but I do wish people seemed less confident about my gender. I've tried all kinds of things short of like wearing a dress or something else clearly gendered as female and it's driving me nuts.

It got me thinking about what body characteristics we associate with femininity and masculinity, and that even though I think I have some feminine features (large eyes, soft face, I'm only 5'5", etc.) obviously some other features outweigh those (broad shoulders? long torso? what is it???)

So anyway, I wanted to ask for some input: what features do you see on a purpose and use them immediately to gender someone? If you're unsure, what do you look for to try to figure it out?

Celestial Dog

I don't look for anything. If I'm unsure, I ask.

Dapper Bloodsucker

french cafe scene
aren't you a ftm transsexual though neutral

I was assigned female at birth and identify as genderless.

Dapper Bloodsucker

french cafe scene
Yaminon
french cafe scene

blah blah blah
you were female at birth and now you want to be male whatever

Nah. I was assigned female at birth and I am opting out of gender completely.

Dapper Bloodsucker

french cafe scene
Yaminon
french cafe scene
Yaminon
french cafe scene

blah blah blah

well aren't you the special little cupcake! blaugh
and you weren't 'assigned' anything at birth. your genitalia was female, therefore you were and still are female. yum_coldone

Speaking from a strictly biological POV sex literally has nothing to do with genital formation and only has to do with the amount and size of gametes.

Celestial Dog

Yaminon
french cafe scene
Yaminon
french cafe scene
Yaminon
french cafe scene

blah blah blah

well aren't you the special little cupcake! blaugh
and you weren't 'assigned' anything at birth. your genitalia was female, therefore you were and still are female. yum_coldone

Speaking from a strictly biological POV sex literally has nothing to do with genital formation and only has to do with the amount and size of gametes.
ew gross.
I'm sorry someone's being awful and rude about this. nonbinary identities are apparently way too much for people to wrap their heads around.

Fluff Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
I don't understand why people get so uppity about strangers mistaking their gender. I can understand family and friends using the wrong pronouns, but if I saw you on the street or at my work, I'd call you sir. It's not meant to be offensive, it's just I don't know that you identify as genderless. What would I even refer to someone as genderless? Usually if I see someone who is clearly transgendered (usually mtf), I try not to use ma'am or sir, I'll just call them hun or darling.

Celestial Dog

disney butts
I don't understand why people get so uppity about strangers mistaking their gender. I can understand family and friends using the wrong pronouns, but if I saw you on the street or at my work, I'd call you sir. It's not meant to be offensive, it's just I don't know that you identify as genderless. What would I even refer to someone as genderless? Usually if I see someone who is clearly transgendered (usually mtf), I try not to use ma'am or sir, I'll just call them hun or darling.
it widely varies. some agender people are totally cool with being referred to by things like 'sir', but some aren't

hun darling etc are actually really good alternatives.

Fluff Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Q2k
disney butts
it widely varies. some agender people are totally cool with being referred to by things like 'sir', but some aren't

hun darling etc are actually really good alternatives.

Yeah, I try to use hun and darling more than sir/ma'am regardless. I have called androgynous females sir before and felt bad. I'm a very cis female so I have no clue about this sort of thing.

actual vulcan's Significant Otter

Anxious Fairy

9,100 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Gender Swap 100
You could wear an agendered hat. Otherwise no one in the street is going to assume you're gender less. It's blah I'm sorry but part if things neutral for close people explain it?
My agendered friends told us they are agendered.

I tend not to get upset when people mistake my gender. I can understand I look like one gender and only my friends who know what it is could know. So it's whatever with strangers.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff