Welcome to Gaia! ::

One of my oldest friends is deaf. I only know how to sign the alphabet.

icarv5's Wife

Business Elder

6,575 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Market Browser 100
Hi, Gaians!
Are any of you English and Deaf/Hard of Hearing?
I'm doing a project for my ASL class (I'm in school studying interpreting) and I need some information on English Deaf Culture/Community.

Any of you have some handy info?
Websites?

All my searching just turns up generic things, so I want some more detail, or if it's similar to Deaf Culture in America.

Sexy Turtle

Demonical_Jester
Hi, Gaians!
Are any of you English and Deaf/Hard of Hearing?
I'm doing a project for my ASL class (I'm in school studying interpreting) and I need some information on English Deaf Culture/Community.

Any of you have some handy info?
Websites?

All my searching just turns up generic things, so I want some more detail, or if it's similar to Deaf Culture in America.
Not many gaians is Deaf, they keep them as hidden so,

America? You mean, North America or USA itself?

What kind Websites are you looking for?

just in case, if you dont know, I am Profoundly Deaf.

5,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I've had quite the experience with deaf people. My first one was in kindergarden, when we had a new student and he was deaf. Been friends with him since then. Then teacher showed us some kind of video about an elephant and how he had trouble listening and always had the TV very loud and his mother took him to get a hearing aid. But that wasn't the case with the new student. . I figured out after about 8 years that his mother was addicted to crack and was just born deaf and lives with his grandmother because his mother is in no condition to raise him.

Me and the same guy are in high school now, and I've probably met about 7 more deaf people since then and they're really nice and friendly (but if they feel like your messing with one of them, they will go mafia on your a** and try and stuff you in the janitor's closet). Also, they're speech is a bit jumbled and slurred.

Sexy Turtle

Demonical_Jester
I will probably look it up on my own.
As for my project, I was assigned a country, so I have to stick with England.
Have you found out which town in England since there is always similar ASL sign language but more of home language in each towns. I grew up in Nova Scotia which I use Maritime Sign Language with my family, derived from British Sign Language.

BSL is from UK, isnt England in UK?

(And I use ASL in sociality parts, my family dont really like ASL haha.
My husband has two cousins who are Profoundly Deaf. They have been since they were born. (I felt the need to add they are brother and sister) I've been learning ASL since about a year before I got married. I am amazed at the things they notice though. They are 10 and 13. When I got pregnant, I went to tell them and the girl looked at me and tells me you're going to have a baby. I don't know alot about the Deaf community though. They deaf school around here was too far for them to be home every day, so they go to public school with interpretors. I do have a question though. How hard is it when you are writing or typing to not write in ASL? That may not have been the best wording, I hope the way I asked didn't offend you.

Sexy Turtle

Spikey Mama
My husband has two cousins who are Profoundly Deaf. They have been since they were born. (I felt the need to add they are brother and sister) I've been learning ASL since about a year before I got married. I am amazed at the things they notice though. They are 10 and 13. When I got pregnant, I went to tell them and the girl looked at me and tells me you're going to have a baby. I don't know alot about the Deaf community though. They deaf school around here was too far for them to be home every day, so they go to public school with interpretors. I do have a question though. How hard is it when you are writing or typing to not write in ASL? That may not have been the best wording, I hope the way I asked didn't offend you.
I am very glad you ask me.

i grew up go to public school with an Interpreter as well. Learning English was challenge because Interpreter did not use those small words which why most of their Grammars is really bad. Best way to learn english is read books.

Write down ASL is like this.

store us go. (Want to go to the store with us?)
candy you want (Would you like some candy?)
out here now (Get out of here now!)
5 late. (You are five minutes late!)

Do you see any different between ASL and English?

That why many Deaf people who have low or no education have hard time understanding people who use English very well. I have a good friend who had a very bad education and she never understood my English which I, everytime have to use webcam to use ASL so she can understand me fully. annoying but no choice since we are good friends.

Fact: Most Deaf people HATES reading because the books they read confuses them with all those details and they like to "listen" stories in ASL so they can get the idea what it is about.

I was not like those because I grew up with a oldest sister whom is also Deaf and our mother use Exact English Sign which we sign every single of a word, and made us fall in love with reading books which my English is pretty good but Grammar is my weakness. haha.

Hope it answers your question. :]

icarv5's Wife

Business Elder

6,575 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Market Browser 100
Black Lust Perfume
Demonical_Jester
Have you found out which town in England since there is always similar ASL sign language but more of home language in each towns. I grew up in Nova Scotia which I use Maritime Sign Language with my family, derived from British Sign Language.

I wasn't assigned a specific town, just England in general. And USA is similar, too, in having different "dialects" of sign language.
And yes, England is in UK. So the UK use BSL, and other students were given Wales and Scotland, so I'm just in charge of England (even though they're all pretty similar.)

Sexy Turtle

Demonical_Jester
Black Lust Perfume
Demonical_Jester

I wasn't assigned a specific town, just England in general. And USA is similar, too, in having different "dialects" of sign language.
And yes, England is in UK. So the UK use BSL, and other students were given Wales and Scotland, so I'm just in charge of England (even though they're all pretty similar.)
America uses ASL, UK uses BSL, not "Every town have its OWN Language of sign Language" It is starting to be very common for a places such as UK, Canada, USA, ASIA, etc.
What I think about deaf people? They can't hear. I've never met a fully deaf person. But I can't imagine them being any different than ''normal'' people, except that they can't hear.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

I am too lazy to read other responses, what exactly is the difference between deaf and Deaf??
-Dagmar

Sexy Turtle

Sovereign Pestilence
I am too lazy to read other responses, what exactly is the difference between deaf and Deaf??
-Dagmar
To be honest, I dont know, even that I am Toned Deaf haha.

Witty Genius

9,600 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Contributor 150
I used to have a deaf neighbor. He was really nice. The only problem I had was sometimes I'd forget that he was deaf and I'd have to remember to use my hands. I know some ASL.. And my sister was(or is?) taking a course on ASL. : ]
When I was in elementary school, I used to go to a school where deaf children took classes as well, so we had the option to stay after school to learn ASL as an extracurricular activity, so we could communicate with the deaf kids in school. It was fun. We all used to hang out together, play during recess and what not. Sadly I didn't stay there long, so I couldn't master ASL. :c

Sexy Turtle

CaseyCrazed
I used to have a deaf neighbor. He was really nice. The only problem I had was sometimes I'd forget that he was deaf and I'd have to remember to use my hands. I know some ASL.. And my sister was(or is?) taking a course on ASL. : ]

Haha, my fiancée sometimes forgot that I cannot hear which I find it funny. But he is now improving his ASL so we can communication much better and easier.

In my thoughts, Deaf or not, still a Human. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Athier
When I was in elementary school, I used to go to a school where deaf children took classes as well, so we had the option to stay after school to learn ASL as an extracurricular activity, so we could communicate with the deaf kids in school. It was fun. We all used to hang out together, play during recess and what not. Sadly I didn't stay there long, so I couldn't master ASL. :c

Haha I know what you mean, back then I was in Deaf class and I also was teaching after school to the students who was interested in learning ASL. It was fun until I got bored of it and cancelled it haha. Never liked to teach. But at least you know a very little ASL if you can remember. Heh.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff