Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sexy Turtle

The New Headmistress
Black Lust Perfume
Lady Peverell
Oh my gosh, it is SO nice to finally meet someone who has a disability such as myself!!

I'm deaf in my left ear, and hard of hearing in my right. I was born this way. I LOVE your avatar! And I admire this thread you started! You're the first Gaian I've ever met who I could connect with! Would you like to be friends? (:
Honestly, I find that a very insulted when you named Deaf people "Disability".

While it may be insulting to some, some people learn it's a disability and some people think differently, there's no need to feel insulted or judge based on ones intelligence of what they have. This person was trying to connect with you in a way she hasn't had with anyone before. She is my best friend although we can't speak properly on the phone, when I visited her we wrote notes, but it all made it seem much more secretive, more personal than speaking. My great grandfather is also partially deaf, I see nothing wrong with deaf people.

To avoid an argument and drama, I've said my piece and took up for my best friend, as I should have, I'll no longer post in here, so please just ignore this message.
Disability shows that we "Cant" do much things. Im against that word- I CAN do anything. I hate it when Government labelled us that, that why I refuse vote.

Quote:
A disability may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental or some combination of these.

Deaf is based on ears that is not working. That called Disability? Dont think so.

We al humans are same, but we cant hear. We can do anything really. There is Deaf people who is Musician, Doctor, Social Worker, Lawyer, etc etc. Many Disability people dont have that success jobs.

We just cant hear, or not fully, we still chase our dreams and we dont let government stop us and tell us to "Stay home and be on welfare" ******** that.
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

That's what they say as well. My ears just keep rejecting them.
That is very weird, i know many people who had to get their tubes fixed, became perfectly fine and dont needed more surgeries on that tubes. To me, sound like the surgery ******** something in your tube and want to use your family for money. Maybe you should research more to find out?

Naah, the reason this happens in the first place is that the tilt of the eustachian tubes is wrong. It's very common in children, but almost always corrects itself naturally as you grow up. The drainage tubes are for temporary relief when you're having problems, not a permanent fix. I've never heard of someone having surgery on the eustachian tubes themselves to correct the tilt.

This sounds very much like the same problem I have, but it sounds like Pandora has it even more severely. I had so many ear infections and surgeries as a kid and young teenager that my eardrums are very badly scarred -- so scared that it freaks out medical residents and interns when they have a look, hahahahahaha! I have limited natural drainage, so my ears are always kind of gummy and my hearing's a bit off -- things don't sound clear to me, and I often have to rely on lipreading to work out what's actually being said.

Depending on your ears, the drainage tubes can last anywhere between a couple of months to a couple of years. You usually need them for at least a year solid. I've had them three times, and they've lasted a year or two each time.

Sexy Turtle

Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

That is very weird, i know many people who had to get their tubes fixed, became perfectly fine and dont needed more surgeries on that tubes. To me, sound like the surgery ******** something in your tube and want to use your family for money. Maybe you should research more to find out?

Naah, the reason this happens in the first place is that the tilt of the eustachian tubes is wrong. It's very common in children, but almost always corrects itself naturally as you grow up. The drainage tubes are for temporary relief when you're having problems, not a permanent fix. I've never heard of someone having surgery on the eustachian tubes themselves to correct the tilt.

This sounds very much like the same problem I have, but it sounds like Pandora has it even more severely. I had so many ear infections and surgeries as a kid and young teenager that my eardrums are very badly scarred -- so scared that it freaks out medical residents and interns when they have a look, hahahahahaha! I have limited natural drainage, so my ears are always kind of gummy and my hearing's a bit off -- things don't sound clear to me, and I often have to rely on lipreading to work out what's actually being said.

Depending on your ears, the drainage tubes can last anywhere between a couple of months to a couple of years. You usually need them for at least a year solid. I've had them three times, and they've lasted a year or two each time.
Last time when I had ears infected was at age 7. Which was... almost 17 years ago.
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

Last time when I had ears infected was at age 7. Which was... almost 17 years ago.

Last time I had my ears infected was... about six weeks ago. Before that, about six months, before that, probably about a year. But because the tilt of my eustachian tubes have improved, they only lasted about a week. Before, the fluid and crap didn't drain away, so they could stretch for weeks, even with strong antibiotics.

Sexy Turtle

Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Pandoras Locks

Last time I had my ears infected was... about six weeks ago. Before that, about six months, before that, probably about a year.
Guess every person is differently.
Black Lust Perfume
Guess every person is differently.

Yeah, but I (and Pandora, I believe) have a structural problem that means that's just what happens. That's why she keeps needing the drainage tubes re-inserted, and I have to do daily preventative treatments to avoid getting problems.

Devoted Hunter

Black Lust Perfume

Okay, I'm sorry, I had to come back. I'm not trying to argue, really. I know these things. Before my Mom passed away she was on disability. For years she couldn't work because she was on dialysis. She was forced to be on disability, her body gave out almost two years ago. I know how it feels to be labeled with the word disabled when you aren't and when you're fully able. It's upsetting, yes, but in the end we're all just human and we all make mistakes and say hurtful things. emotion_bigheart

Sexy Turtle

The New Headmistress
Black Lust Perfume

Okay, I'm sorry, I had to come back. I'm not trying to argue, really. I know these things. Before my Mom passed away she was on disability. For years she couldn't work because she was on dialysis. She was forced to be on disability, her body gave out almost two years ago. I know how it feels to be labeled with the word disabled when you aren't and when you're fully able. It's upsetting, yes, but in the end we're all just human and we all make mistakes and say hurtful things. emotion_bigheart
That why I felt so Insulted by your best friend.
Since she was a few weeks old my sister has been deaf. It was never explained to me fully, but something like she got really sick when she was little and lost her hearing. Unfortunately, due to the age difference of me and her (It's about 9 years) I never really learned ASL and my parents would always translate if I needed to ask her something. I do understand a fair amount of sign language though. My parents would talk and sign at the same time so after watching them for a while you start to understand more and more.

I grew up around deaf people all my life. With my sister and her friends it doesn't make me view them differently. I do remember one thing that I would just do automatically without realizing. I would move around a lot when sitting down on a couch or something, and my sister would always get mad at that. So having to be aware of that would be a bit different. Oh and having captions on when watching TV. Apparently that bothers a lot of people or something, but I never understood that. If you're not reading the captions then they're really easy to ignore plus it's nice to read them if you can't have the TV loud. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Liberal Lover

sign language is cool
I have a friend who is 40% deaf. It's hard to communicate sometimes, but she is just like any other friend

3,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
it is nothing wrong with being around a deaf,they are human,and have feeling like any body else.i love everybody heart

Sexy Turtle

I think they appreciate the beauty of life more
than those who can hear because they are
able to concentrate more on sight rather than
sound. I feel bad though because they can't
hear things we normally do that we take for
granted; the voice of a loved on, the honk of
a nearby, speeding vehicle, a friend calling your
name from afar, the simple 'meow' of a kitten.

unless they've heard it before & have become deaf
for what ever reason later on. which would suck,
knowing what it's like and no longer being able to
experience it. but then there are hearing aids....

idk, >:c I just feel they experience life differently.
I just know i'd feel weird. I mean, I can't even watch
a movie on mute with subtitles. It annoys me.

& without the joy of music. ohmyyy, how sad i'd be gonk

Fashionable Man-Lover

11,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Timid 100
I'm myself deaf. It's nice to see few people in the thread who actually are.

Althrough... I've yet to meet any deaf guys who is gay because well... yeah. I'm myself gay as well.

x=

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image
"One of my best friends is deaf. Deaf people are just people, they just can't hear. It makes it slightly harder to communicate, that's about it."
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces