Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Smoker

I just don't like the ones who are stuck up and treat anyone who got a cochlear implant like s**t. Is it really that bad if someone wants to hear?

6,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
There's this deaf girl in my grade, though she has her hearing aid, she acts just like any typical teenage girl.

7,650 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
one time: i was at an assembly at my school in the gymnasium and this deaf kid was stealing stuff out of peoples' coat pockets. so i kicked his back off the bleachers and then i got yelled at. i was stopping a thief. im a hero dammit.

Sexy Turtle

Vintage Baby Deer
I just don't like the ones who are stuck up and treat anyone who got a cochlear implant like s**t. Is it really that bad if someone wants to hear?
Depends on how old they got it. If they got it when they were under 9 years old, it is kinda of forced by their parents because the doctors dont give the parents enough information about Deaf Culture-

video

Rainbow Smoker

Black Lust Perfume
Vintage Baby Deer
Depends on how old they got it. If they got it when they were under 9 years old, it is kinda of forced by their parents because the doctors dont give the parents enough information about Deaf Culture-

video

I guess what it comes down to is that I see deafness as a disability and they don't. I respect that a culture has grown around it and all but I still think it limits people in certain ways like any disability.
Norman Black
There's this deaf girl in my grade, though she has her hearing aid, she acts just like any typical teenage girl.

Most of them are typical people lol
ninja
Vintage Baby Deer

While I don't agree with the ones who treat people who get the Cochlear badly, I also don't agree with those who get the surgery performed on their baby without getting all the information and facts first. But I understand where you're coming from, while, as Black Lust Perfume said, most kids are forced to get it before they understand what's going on.
GreekPheonix
one time: i was at an assembly at my school in the gymnasium and this deaf kid was stealing stuff out of peoples' coat pockets. so i kicked his back off the bleachers and then i got yelled at. i was stopping a thief. im a hero dammit.

I hope that doesn't affect your perception of deaf people.

As I've seen hearing people do it, too. =] lol

Rainbow Smoker

PwinsezProanamia
ninja
Vintage Baby Deer

While I don't agree with the ones who treat people who get the Cochlear badly, I also don't agree with those who get the surgery performed on their baby without getting all the information and facts first. But I understand where you're coming from, while, as Black Lust Perfume said, most kids are forced to get it before they understand what's going on.

You act like it's not possible to learn all the information and facts and still choose to get it. If I were a parent the first thing I would think of would be to make sure my child had the most possible opportunities and was the least limited as possible... deaf people are certainly limited in the job world and just in communication period. I wouldn't want them to only know sign language and be unable to communicate with most of the general population.

Sexy Turtle

Vintage Baby Deer
PwinsezProanamia
ninja
Vintage Baby Deer

You act like it's not possible to learn all the information and facts and still choose to get it. If I were a parent the first thing I would think of would be to make sure my child had the most possible opportunities and was the least limited as possible... deaf people are certainly limited in the job world and just in communication period. I wouldn't want them to only know sign language and be unable to communicate with most of the general population.
That is your decision, only one thing you need to think about is, what if the power went off for a month and the batteries for CI have died down. How to communication? Sign Language.

Rainbow Smoker

Black Lust Perfume
Vintage Baby Deer
PwinsezProanamia
ninja
Vintage Baby Deer

That is your decision, only one thing you need to think about is, what if the power went off for a month and the batteries for CI have died down. How to communication? Sign Language.

Oh I'm not against them learning sign language at all, I think its a good idea.

Sexy Turtle

Vintage Baby Deer
Black Lust Perfume
Vintage Baby Deer
PwinsezProanamia
ninja
Vintage Baby Deer

Oh I'm not against them learning sign language at all, I think its a good idea.
Then thats good because Today, many parents with their children who have CI dont even learn to sign and I find that very sad.
I sympathise, though know nothing about the "culture".

I do view deafness as a disability, and I think it is ridiculous that "disability" has become a dirty word. A disability is just a thing that makes it difficult or impossible to do something the majority of the population is able to do. So you compensate for or replace that thing. Sign language, lip reading, cochlear implants, alert lights rather than sounds for things like phones and doorbells, all valid compensations or replacements. Disabled =/= invalid. >.<

I have had hearing issues all my life due to a relatively common structural defect among young children wherein the eustachian tubes are too close to horizontal resulting in extremely poor drainage from the middle ear and a condition referred to as "glue ear", causing frequent ear infections. Most children's eustachian tubes correct during childhood, but mine have improved but are still abnormal in their angle, meaning that I always have gluey, gummy ears. As an added bonus, my eardrums are heavily scarred from infections and three rounds of grommet (external drainage) tubes.

As a result, my hearing is extremely muddy, and I rely on a combination of listening and lip-reading. It's not something that would be aided by a hearing aid, as all testing shows my perception of volume is normal or better. It just means that there are some people who I have trouble understanding because of the way they talk -- I have one friend who is almost completely un-lip-readable, so I'm always asking her to repeat things, and I can't understand a word she says if there's any background noise -- and I had problems at school with teachers who could not understand that I couldn't understand them if they had their back to me. One particular b***h kept giving me detentions for asking my neighbour to repeat things to me, despite a letter from my mother explaining the situation. >.< Grr.

So, yeah. My story. In case you care. Probably not. ;p

Sexy Turtle

Beautiful Blue Bomber
Black Lust Perfume
Vintage Baby Deer

video

Why is it bad if the parents make the choice for them? No reasonable person would turn down the opportunity to hear if it was given to them.
You are missing the point- Today, when the doctors find out that their child have a hear loss, all they do is "We can fix it, Cochlear Implant!" without explaining about choices, Sign Language, etc. Can you watch the video again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff