Welcome to Gaia! ::

Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
I only met one deaf person. He seemed really nice despite being unable to give us directions due to the inability to communicate with one another. I know very little sign language.
Thats sucks! Maybe have paper and pen just in case if you bump into a Deaf person?
I think I'm going to from now on. As long as we speak the same language there should be no problems with communicating through writing.
You expect Deaf people not knowing English? o.O

If I were to travel out of the country somewhere where English isn't their native tongue I wouldn't expect them to know English. That's what I meant. hehe. I don't know, though. There's a lot of Hispanics in my area that don't speak English so it could still be a problem within my home state. I know even less Spanish than I do sign language.

Sexy Turtle

The Snazzy Hobo
Both my elementary school and my current high school have "hearing impaired" programs, so I grew up with deaf people. Never made friends with any of them though sweatdrop
Just let you know that Deaf people dislike people labelled them "Hearing Impaired" It is somehow insulted their feeling. :]
They are people just like everyone else. No one should ever think less of someone with disabilities. I used to know how to sign pretty well but now I'm pretty rusty.

8,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Black Lust Perfume
KyuubiCross
Thought:
Only thought is "What language do they think in".

Experiences:
I knew this deaf girl when I was in middle school. Sometimes I passed noted with her but I usually spoke with her through her interpretor. I felt so bad, one day she asked me for my number so we could text and I said no because I didn't have a phone but I didn't know how to tell her that (I had no paper on my nor was the interpetor around). Everytime I think of that I get so upset crying She was such a fun person.
Advice- ask for Email? Heh

I don't know her anymore.
According to our teacher, her parents were going to send her to a high school for deaf students.
I was going to though... But I thought it would be too late to bring it up. emo

Rainbow Ladykiller

I've never really seen them as anything different. There's a bit of a communication barrier for most. Luckily I know enough ASL to communicate with them. My uncle was an interpreter for a long time, so growing up I got to be around deaf people. Plus my first language was ASL due to therapists thinking that my older brother and I weren't learning to communicate.

Sexy Turtle

British Tourettes
Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
I only met one deaf person. He seemed really nice despite being unable to give us directions due to the inability to communicate with one another. I know very little sign language.
Thats sucks! Maybe have paper and pen just in case if you bump into a Deaf person?
I think I'm going to from now on. As long as we speak the same language there should be no problems with communicating through writing.
You expect Deaf people not knowing English? o.O

If I were to travel out of the country somewhere where English isn't their native tongue I wouldn't expect them to know English. That's what I meant. hehe. I don't know, though. There's a lot of Hispanics in my area that don't speak English so it could still be a problem within my home state. I know even less Spanish than I do sign language.
Ahh make sense, want to know something funny? Most Deaf people in the world have similar signs. Easy to catch what they are saying. But written language, maybe be different.

Sexy Turtle

Reyna224
They are people just like everyone else. No one should ever think less of someone with disabilities. I used to know how to sign pretty well but now I'm pretty rusty.
Keep practicing wink who knows, you maybe find a lover who is Deaf?

Sexy Turtle

KyuubiCross
Black Lust Perfume
KyuubiCross
Thought:

Experiences:
I knew this deaf girl when I was in middle school. Sometimes I passed noted with her but I usually spoke with her through her interpretor. I felt so bad, one day she asked me for my number so we could text and I said no because I didn't have a phone but I didn't know how to tell her that (I had no paper on my nor was the interpetor around). Everytime I think of that I get so upset crying She was such a fun person.

According to our teacher, her parents were going to send her to a high school for deaf students.
I just remembered. FACEBOOK! Maybe try find her by searching for her on fb?

5,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
My oldest sister was deaf-blind-mute, autistic, and paraplegic. She was one of the sweetest girls I ever met, may she forever rest in peace (she died January 2001). ;-;

Also, my boyfriend and I were at a restaurant when a deaf man set down two pens and a note on each table - the note said that he was deaf/asking for donations and each pen was three dollars. The note also had a drawing of the phrase "I love you" in ASL, it was so sad yet so inspiring at the same time. I bought two pens and cried like a total wuss for the next half-hour. crying

I'm trying to learn ASL, and I'm thinking about becoming a sign language interpreter after I finish the online college program I'm in right now.

Dapper Fatcat

Black Lust Perfume
a s u n r i s e
Black Lust Perfume
a s u n r i s e
I think I've never really met someone who's deaf. Sometimes in movies or famous people.
Aww thats sucks, well, you just met one Gaian. xD

Well actually I do know some people who's about to go deaf or has bad hearing. But not deaf, though.
Yes, you just did met one who is completely Deaf Gaian.... *Look around* Well, ME!

Yeah! emotion_awesome

Sexy Turtle

1tty bitty kitty
I've never really seen them as anything different. There's a bit of a communication barrier for most. Luckily I know enough ASL to communicate with them. My uncle was an interpreter for a long time, so growing up I got to be around deaf people. Plus my first language was ASL due to therapists thinking that my older brother and I weren't learning to communicate.
Neat! Wish I have an person in family who is an interpreter haha, it would be very nice to have a family member who is an interpreter instead of hiring interpreters for getting together families events. haha

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Black Lust Perfume
The Snazzy Hobo
Both my elementary school and my current high school have "hearing impaired" programs, so I grew up with deaf people. Never made friends with any of them though sweatdrop
Just let you know that Deaf people dislike people labelled them "Hearing Impaired" It is somehow insulted their feeling. :]

I apologize gonk
But that is what they truly labeled the program
(I've never actually called anyone.... that)

8,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Black Lust Perfume
KyuubiCross
Black Lust Perfume
KyuubiCross
Thought:

Experiences:

I just remembered. FACEBOOK! Maybe try find her by searching for her on fb?

Not making a Facebook, man. Not going to happen. emotion_donotwant
I don't even remember her name...

Sexy Turtle

The Simple C
My oldest sister was deaf-blind-mute, autistic, and paraplegic. She was one of the sweetest girls I ever met, may she forever rest in peace (she died January 2001). ;-;

Also, my boyfriend and I were at a restaurant when a deaf man set down two pens and a note on each table - the note said that he was deaf/asking for donations and each pen was three dollars. I bought two pens and cried like a total wuss for the next half-hour. crying

I'm trying to learn ASL, and I'm thinking about becoming a sign language interpreter after I finish the online college program I'm in right now.
Aww, *hugs* I am very sorry about your sister. She knows that you love her very much dearly. An interpreter?! That would make your sister very proud sweetie.

Rainbow Ladykiller

The Simple C

Also, my boyfriend and I were at a restaurant when a deaf man set down two pens and a note on each table - the note said that he was deaf/asking for donations and each pen was three dollars. I bought two pens and cried like a total wuss for the next half-hour. crying

To my knowledge, those people asking for donations are actually frowned upon in the deaf community. They are people too, they have all the same abilities as anyone else, minus the hearing, so they should be able to get jobs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff