Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sexy Turtle

It's all in the title! What do you think about (d)Deaf persons?

This thread's purpose is to educate others about the Deaf Community and lifestyle, and hopefully bring Deaf awareness to more people!

Are you curious about Deaf people? Do you have a question about the culture? Do you want to learn ASL (American Sign Language)? Ask here!

Share your thoughts on:
Sign Language
Deaf Culture
Your personal experiences with Deaf people
Your views, or perception, about Deaf people
Poltical controversies of the Deaf Community
The difference between Deaf and deaf

Rules:
Follow TOS
Be nice, or you will be blocked.
Respect each other.
No cold-hearted or rude comments (they will be deleted and you reported)
No flaming.
If you disagree with someone's post, try to discuss it in an appropriate manner rather than insults with no logic applied to your post.

User Image

Resources:

THINGS THAT ONLY HAPPEN TO DEAF PEOPLE [Fact]
When you tell people you are deaf, they ask if you understand Braille.

You curse your cell’s auto correct function when you tell people that you’re “profoundly dead.”

Once in a while, you lose your hearing aids and spend the morning searching for them, before discovering them in the pocket of the pants you are currently wearing.

At an audiology appointment, you try to *beat* the audiologist by watching them moving their hands on the dial. This makes them irate.

You go to a deaf party just for the warm embrace of a hundred ‘deaf hugs.’

When you tell people you are deaf, they SHOUT at you. You don’t mind, even though it makes it harder to understand them, but the other people in the shop look concerned.

You are told by Deaf people – in a group situation – that you’ve put on a lot of weight recently. Everyone nods. This is completely ok.

You have scars on your forehead from bumping into lampposts in the street as you walk and sign.

You wake up on a long train journey to find all the passengers have changed and the train has arrived at the wrong destination.

You worry that the audiologist knows how much you love them piping goo into your ears when you have new earmoulds made. And that they’re enjoying it too.

You are regularly followed around by young children in shopping malls because they’re intrigued by your hearing aids.

You play the ‘deaf card’ in order to get onto the plane before everyone else. You feel slightly embarrassed as you overtake frail old people and families with children to take your seat on the plane. Then you get over it.

Despite changing your voice answerphone message so it tells people that you are deaf and they should text or email you, they STILL leave a voice message. That you can’t hear.

When you tell people you are deaf, they speak to the person next to you instead. Even when they’re not necessarily your interpreter.

You only realize the doctor has called your name out in the waiting room because everyone else is looking at you, bemused by your lack of response.

Halfway through having a great conversation with a Deaf friend at a bar, you’re bemused when the bartender doesn’t understand your order. You then realize you’ve given it to him in Sign Language.

When the lights go out at home, you spend a split second wondering whether there’s a power cut or whether someone’s just rung the doorbell.

You go to your car in the morning, only to find the alarm blaring. You turn it off, then notice angry looks in your direction from your neighbors. When you find numerous abusive messages tucked under your windscreen, you realize two things: 1. Your car alarm has been going off all night. 2. You may need to move house.

You see an interpreter signing a programme on television, but turn to your partner and comment on their recent haircut, rather than the quality of their signing (with the exception of Lydia Callis).

After a party at a deaf house, you realize you spent the entire evening in the kitchen. And so did everyone else.

During long conversations, you notice hearing people getting more and more uncomfortable at how intensely you’re focusing on their lips. You supress a smile and focus even harder.

You argue with your friend as you get on a train, and continue in sign language as you take your seat, even though they’re still standing on the platform. As the train leaves, you look around at everyone else sheepishly. You continue the argument by text.

You notice that some hearing people assume that you are a ‘good’ person when you tell them you’re deaf. You happily let them think that. You later feel disappointed in yourself when they realize you have the same failings as non-deaf people.

You meet a deaf person you’ve never met before, and they instantly ask “are your mother and father deaf?” closely followed by “which deaf school did you go to?”

You say goodbye to your friends at the deaf club, then say goodbye again an hour later, because deaf people always have “just one more thing” to talk about. Always.

Link

Sign Languages
American Sign Language
www.aslpro.com [Video of many American Sign Language, plus quiz]
Alphabet

Australian Sign Language
Video Alpabet

British Sign Language
Alphabet and few words [Gifs]

Chinese Sign Language [Zhōngguó Shǒuyǔ]
Alphabet and more [Make sure you use this on chrome that allow you auto transfer from Chinese to English if you need to.

Flemish Sign Language
Alphabet and more.

Irish Sign Language [Teanga Chomharthaíochta na hÉireann]
Alphabet

Japanese Sign Language [Nihon Shuwa]
Alphabet

Spanish Sign Language [Lengua de signos o señas española]
Alphabet Image

I only met one deaf person. He seemed really nice despite being unable to give us directions due to the inability to communicate with one another. I know very little sign language.

Dapper Fatcat

I think I've never really met someone who's deaf. Sometimes in movies or famous people.

Sexy Turtle

British Tourettes
I only met one deaf person. He seemed really nice despite being unable to give us directions due to the inability to communicate with one another. I know very little sign language.
Thats sucks! Maybe have paper and pen just in case if you bump into a Deaf person?

Sexy Turtle

a s u n r i s e
I think I've never really met someone who's deaf. Sometimes in movies or famous people.
Aww thats sucks, well, you just met one Gaian. xD

8,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Thought:
Only thought is "What language do they think in".

Experiences:
I knew this deaf girl when I was in middle school. Sometimes I passed noted with her but I usually spoke with her through her interpretor. I felt so bad, one day she asked me for my number so we could text and I said no because I didn't have a phone but I didn't know how to tell her that (I had no paper on my nor was the interpetor around). Everytime I think of that I get so upset crying She was such a fun person.
Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
Thats sucks! Maybe have paper and pen just in case if you bump into a Deaf person?
I think I'm going to from now on. As long as we speak the same language there should be no problems with communicating through writing.

Sexy Turtle

British Tourettes
Black Lust Perfume
British Tourettes
I think I'm going to from now on. As long as we speak the same language there should be no problems with communicating through writing.
You expect Deaf people not knowing English? o.O

Charitable Giver

Sing language looks really cool. I love watching people sign.

Dapper Fatcat

Black Lust Perfume
a s u n r i s e

Well actually I do know some people who's about to go deaf or has bad hearing. But not deaf, though.
I've only met one deaf person. She was a horrible, horrible person.

She hasn't clouded my opinion on deaf people in general, though, which is... basically non existent. Pity, I guess. They probably don't want my pity, so I'll call it sympathy.

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Both my elementary school and my current high school have "hearing impaired" programs, so I grew up with deaf people. Never made friends with any of them though sweatdrop

Sexy Turtle

KyuubiCross
Thought:
Only thought is "What language do they think in".

Experiences:
I knew this deaf girl when I was in middle school. Sometimes I passed noted with her but I usually spoke with her through her interpretor. I felt so bad, one day she asked me for my number so we could text and I said no because I didn't have a phone but I didn't know how to tell her that (I had no paper on my nor was the interpetor around). Everytime I think of that I get so upset crying She was such a fun person.
Advice- ask for Email? Heh

Sexy Turtle

a s u n r i s e
Black Lust Perfume
a s u n r i s e

Well actually I do know some people who's about to go deaf or has bad hearing. But not deaf, though.
Yes, you just did met one who is completely Deaf Gaian.... *Look around* Well, ME!

Sexy Turtle

Quinzel
I've only met one deaf person. She was a horrible, horrible person.

She hasn't clouded my opinion on deaf people in general, though, which is... basically non existent. Pity, I guess. They probably don't want my pity, so I'll call it sympathy.
I dont blame you sweetie, Some Deaf people are very rude and mean, some Deaf people are so sweet and open mind just like me. wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff