Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think?

it's great that people can use make up to be more confident 0.51063829787234 51.1% [ 48 ]
it's okay 0.34042553191489 34.0% [ 32 ]
ew 0.1063829787234 10.6% [ 10 ]
wtf 0.042553191489362 4.3% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 94 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Chahklet
SamaSenseiSenpai
Chahklet
SamaSenseiSenpai
Chahklet
SamaSenseiSenpai
Ever notice how women will say that makeup boosts their confidence, but they will NEVER explain why? It's because they want to be looked at as a sexual object. Women are the only ones treating themselves like that's all they are worth. Cosmetics are skyrocketing while fatherless homes are also on the rise. Anyone else notice the pattern? Women are sluts.
Dont ever get laid then.

I don't "get laid". That's something that frat-boys and savages do. I respect people for who they are, not what they can give me.
You just contradicted yourself. You can't respect people for who they are and then call women sluts because they are not who you want them to be.

Not at all. Calling a spade a spade is not disrespectful. It is what it is. If you want to be a slut, it would be nice that you at least be an honest slut. But either way, you are who you are. I don't see a contradiction at all. I respect sluts, someone has to chain these wild dudes down to a child support payment.
Slut is a negative word by definition, so no, you do not respect them.

Boy do I know of some feminist pirates in the LD that would let you have it for that comment. And no, it is not. Promiscuous actions are not negative by definition. That depends who is the judge. A slut is a slut. It would be negative to not be honest with the person.

Magical Tree

Welcome to my life in South Korea - where it's expected someone would get plastic surgery just to look better.

So wearing makeup every day is a given. You don't dare go out of your house without it. Even men sometimes wear makeup (BB cream) and get manicures, and use fancy lotions and stuff.

I wear BB cream to work every day, unless I'm tired or sick. See.. not wearing it.. I look worse, and because I'm already not feeling good - it's like a quick visual cue to my co-workers (who notice these things) that I'm sick. Actually, they'll ask me before I even say "I'm sick" and it gets me a lot of leeway, and they'll tell me to go to the doctor. It's really amusing to me.

Tipsy Smoker

SamaSenseiSenpai
Chahklet
SamaSenseiSenpai
Chahklet
SamaSenseiSenpai

I don't "get laid". That's something that frat-boys and savages do. I respect people for who they are, not what they can give me.
You just contradicted yourself. You can't respect people for who they are and then call women sluts because they are not who you want them to be.

Not at all. Calling a spade a spade is not disrespectful. It is what it is. If you want to be a slut, it would be nice that you at least be an honest slut. But either way, you are who you are. I don't see a contradiction at all. I respect sluts, someone has to chain these wild dudes down to a child support payment.
Slut is a negative word by definition, so no, you do not respect them.

Boy do I know of some feminist pirates in the LD that would let you have it for that comment. And no, it is not. Promiscuous actions are not negative by definition. That depends who is the judge. A slut is a slut. It would be negative to not be honest with the person.
I'm going to save the reply for my computer where I can back up my sources.
i wear make up most of the time.
but if i'm going to the grocery store
or something trivial like that it all
depends on how my skin is acting that day.
if it's good and clear i have no need.
but if i have some acne i'll throw on some
bb cream.

Tipsy Ladykiller

3,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
milkycokr
i wear make up most of the time.
but if i'm going to the grocery store
or something trivial like that it all
depends on how my skin is acting that day.
if it's good and clear i have no need.
but if i have some acne i'll throw on some
bb cream.

There are just some days when ur skin feels icky emotion_8c

Wicked Sweetheart

I've had really bad self image all through highschool and years into my college career. I refused to be seen without make up which meant it was a daily routine for me in order to cover up my "shame". I got really GOOD at make up and enjoyed it for maybe the wrong reasons but that much makeup use made it ridiculously expensive to buy mid to high tier brands so I kept to cheaper, drugstore brands (my namesake was revlon) that weren't good for my skin.

It's been months now since that very long, humiliating phase of my life.

I met a guy who, more than any man I have ever met seemed to really 100% want me to cut back on wearing it, not for his own personal preferences but more because he saw how I was using it as a crutch emotionally. I went 30 days without which was a HUGE challenge and an enormous deal for me. I became reclusive during the early parts of this but towards the end began to like my face...a bit more, slowly but surely. I still didn't have anywhere close to a good self image but I could notice it was improving a bit.

After my successful completion of 30 day no make up challenge I have since investigated brands and made the upgrade from drugstore cosmetics to mid to high tier cosmetics and tend towards ones that are animal friendly and gentler on my skin. I have since DRASTICALLY decreased my make-up use, wearing it only on "special occasions", like going out for dinner and a movie, or a concert or other date like activities and for work related events. My skin is MUCH healthier and I have a better relationship with how I see myself and why I use make up.

Now it's a creative outlet and I use it to accentuate features, rather than HIDE away the parts of me that I think are horrible. In fact, I don't feel so horrible at all anymore. It's been months and a long time coming but now I catch myself not done up, in comfy clothes, in the mirror and think look particularly handsome, different, but good!

I don't mock people who use make up heavily, I've been there, but I also recomend if they continue the use of makeup they ar least try and shift their reasoning behind it and budget out a plan to get off of drugstore to higher grade stuff. It really IS worth it.

User Image

This is me wearing:
Smashbox Photofinish Primer.
Urban Decay's Naked (in 1) foundation as a base.
Hourglass Immaculate in Pearl as a highlight and blemish concealer. <- highly recommend!
Urban Decay Naked Ultra Definition finishing powder to set.
Tarte's Airblush Maracuja Blush in Shimmering Poppy. <- highly recommend!
Ulta brand pen eyeliner & NYC liquid eyeliner to fill and darken.
Maybelline: The Colossal mascara.
Lime Crime Velveteen (lip stuff) in Suedeberry. <- highly recommend

Tipsy Ladykiller

3,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
bee pollen

Aw emotion_bigheart thank you for sharing! emotion_kirakira
I used to do drugstore cosmetics daily just a year before. Nowadays I just go out with powder, mascara, and lip balm. When I first went out without make up after a long while I noticed that my skin was really dry and pale. I looked like I just got out of the hospital... or maybe like I'm about to faint or something, that kinda pale.
I didn't realize that all my cheap make up made my skin dull until that time. Now I just use thick make up when I'm doing photoshoots or on other special occasions emotion_c8
I wear some type of makeup if I'm leaving the house. If my skin is wearied or I have a breakout, I'm wearing skin makeup (foundation/concealer). I feel the makeup I wear is flattering and necessary in cases were photos will be taken. I'm into vintage looks so my clothing is put together and my face needs to match the level of formality.

Wicked Sweetheart

SamaSenseiSenpai

I agree with you that slut does not have to be a negative word. That's an entirely different conversation however.

I do believe the danger in your statement lies with your naivety on the reasons women wear make up and your use of over generalization. Allow me to explain and please take note I am open for a discussion - NOT an argument, let's throw out any potential use of troll like behavior or demeaning comments shall we?

1. Saying: "all, always, never, none" are very easy ways to throw out your argument, however valid and worth elaboration it may seem to you (I personally do not find it valid but that's regardless for this particular point) as invalid to the opposing party. It articulates a poor grasp on the reality of the subject matter and an inability to look at things wholly. As most situations, this one included, rarely justify their use.

THAT said, I'd like your resources, if any on the association between the rise of make up sales and broken homes.

2. I'd also like to mention that the institution of make up has been largely perpetuated by our male counterparts, meaning that would imply in a patriarchal society that men want to look at WOMEN as sexual objects, not the other way around. Holding women to ridiculous beauty standards and normalizing these standards is a method to still confine women and limit them since the boom in women leaving the home for work and the end of the typical 50's housewife. I don't have a qualm as much with sexualization as I do objectification and it's this type of objectification that emotionally cripples women who can not escape the reach of the media, images of women held to these standards are everywhere, and it weakens us. It was intended to.

Now, I am all for wearing make up and feeling empowered and I think that this does not have to be a sexual thing. It can be, very easily, but it isn't always in my case and since I am a regular human girl I assume I am not alone in this. It's fighting fire with fire. It means having these things super imposed on us, without our choice, does not necessarily mean I would not have had the same aesthetic for it originally, especially as a creative type.

I certainly don't feel like this means I want to be looked at like a sexual OBJECT, I may want to be looked at sexually by certain people (just like some males, with or without the use of cosmetic aids do.) but it doesn't warrant the objectification of everyone, or their approval.

If you are interested in the mindset and history of all this from a female perspective, I suggest reading The Beauty Myth by Naomi Watts...I believe? I don't agree with ALL that's written within it but if you do take pride in respecting people and accepting them for what they are (hopefully as individuals, not predetermined stereotypes) it'll offer a unique insight into a world and a problem that as a man, you are, by definition - immune to.

Invisible Humorist

Do you watch Face Off?
Last year I would wear makeup everyday, but now I don't bother because it's too time consuming. I save my makeup for going out to a party, an event, or if I feel like looking nice for my boyfriend

Loyal Senshi

Personally, if someone is beautiful naturally, they don't need the enhancements of make-up. But it's so bold and it makes what we want to pop out, pop. Like our eyes, a little eyeliner and them purties be glowin' now! A little foundation, no more pimple! But, proper removal and skin care is necessary for those who wear it daily. I don't wear it anymore. Used to in High School, but only eyeliner. :3 I have a good complexion and skin tone, so I don't want to ruin what's already good.

Chatty Smoker

I don't see why not. The only time it's odd is if it's an excessive amount, like eyeliner and eyeshadow and lipstick and foundation and this crazy a** winged eyeliner stuff that takes a long time.

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I wear eyeliner a few days out of the week because I love eyeliner
I always wear make up every day from force of habit.
I couldn't imagine not wearing it though...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff