Welcome to Gaia! ::

Noob

Everyone's probably gotten one sometime in their life. If not, stare at a light bulb for a good while then look away. You'll see a big large mass of light and it will follow you everywhere. Can you remember your reactions to these as a kid?
I just found out I have this condition called visual snow where my vision is basically static. I always thought this was normal, I used to think as a kid it was me "seeing molecules". But one of the related symptoms to this are floaters. When I read this my immediate thought was how freaked the ******** out I was whenever I got these. I thought the red ones and black ones were dark spirits, and the blue and light-colored ones were fairies. Whenever I saw a red or a black one I used to bolt for it, and go crying to my mom. Please note: I was about 5 or 6. Forgive me for being afraid of weird floating red things.

Discuss: Visual floaters and your reactions to them as a child, or your children's reaction to them?
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A STATIC VISION? ;~;

Timid Raider

Oh, yes, I have that too. Never knew it was a real diagnosis though. I just figured it was a normal vision thing.

As a kid, I thought the floaters were ghosts in the clouds.

And I thought the grainy fast moving things that I could see against the sky on overcast days were atoms.

I just ignore it these days, though it sometimes impairs my vision on bright days if I look at a row of windscreens in a carpark and they're all reflecting the sun. Then I get a whole lot of brightly coloured floaters that overlay everything else.

Girl

I've had floaters since the 5th grade; I thought it was normal to happen as your eyesight became worse. Floaters used to really annoy me, not so much anymore.

I have visual snow too. It's only really noticeable in dark areas for me.

Hygienic Bloodsucker

6,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Over Easy 100
  • Hygienic 200
My Little Spider Friend
Everyone's probably gotten one sometime in their life. If not, stare at a light bulb for a good while then look away. You'll see a big large mass of light and it will follow you everywhere. Can you remember your reactions to these as a kid?
I just found out I have this condition called visual snow where my vision is basically static. I always thought this was normal, I used to think as a kid it was me "seeing molecules". But one of the related symptoms to this are floaters. When I read this my immediate thought was how freaked the ******** out I was whenever I got these. I thought the red ones and black ones were dark spirits, and the blue and light-colored ones were fairies. Whenever I saw a red or a black one I used to bolt for it, and go crying to my mom. Please note: I was about 5 or 6. Forgive me for being afraid of weird floating red things.

Discuss: Visual floaters and your reactions to them as a child, or your children's reaction to them?
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A STATIC VISION? ;~;

Dude now that I think of it, that isn't molecules. Damn, I had my hopes up. Is visual snow/static supposed to be bad though? Now that my hopes are ruined for thinking that my eyes could see molecules and stuff. emo Sad face.

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
I don't get floaters.

But I do see the standard lights and shapes when I close my eyes in a dark room. Apparently those are called closed-eye hallucinations.

Noob

Tesarus ******** those things

so irritating[/quote]
why are you wearing a bab
jo5gx0xl:0="Tesarus ******** those things

so irritating[/quote]
why are you wearing a baby hat

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
dude first time I ever saw em was when I fell offa somewhere an smacked my head
I passed out anyway so its whatever
I'm no suppose to have floaters because my eye doctor said its a bad sign for me. It would mean my vision is starting to fail completely and I only have ONE eye left. xd

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I had always assumed that static was normal. Everyone I've ever asked about it said that they saw it, too.

I don't really notice it unless I a) stand up too quickly and become dizzy, at which point it becomes so profound that I am entirely blinded for about a second or so, or b) close my eyes and rub my eyelids. I'll see it in darker areas sometimes if I'm looking for it, but it's faint and doesn't impede me.

What you're referring to as a "floater" is actually an "afterimage," by the way.

Invisible Humorist

i don't have that...but at times i would see these weird squiggly lines on the corner of my eyes and when i try to look at it it moves away...i thought this was normal but when i asked around no one knew what i was talking about and i got a little worried...but then family guy showed this scene

I was so relieved lol

Also when i sneeze my vision gets all static-y...not like your's OP but more like a thousand flies or ants all over your vision

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
I have them too.
I would wager to bet that nearly everyone has experienced them at one point or another. I don't remember acting adversely to them as a child. To me, it was likely just one of those things that just happened. Nothing unusual.

Tipsy Tycoon

9,500 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sometimes I'll get static when it's very dark. Other than that, I have floaters all the time and never thought much about it. I did think that I was seeing close ups of different cells and stuff.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff