Welcome to Gaia! ::

SWL PacStar's Significant Otter

Vegans are weird. I love me some sweet beef and some eggs for breakfast, but to each his own I suppose. That's not quite what this topic is about.

I have some friends coming over tomorrow. There will be four of us. all of them have been friends for a long time but there is an issue. One is a vegan and none of the rest of us are. While she will make cakes out of the box (because replacing it with fake eggs and soy oil combats the powdered milk in the mix or something...yeah, silly), wont eat chicken eggs but is pro-choice, and thinks a cow doesn't need to be milked, if we don't have something she will eat, she just wont eat. That is no good. We were going to order pizza, make some popcorn and all sorts of stuff. This wouldn't be an issue if she were a vegetarian or something, skip out on the meat, east enough, but she wont eat the cheese, milk, butter, any of it.

Anyway, onto the question. I was wondering if there are any vegan friendly snacks that I could pick up in an average grocery store. Something kinda fun, party-like food, that wont break my wallet. I would appreciate the help very much.
Cyerena
While she will make cakes out of the box (because replacing it with fake eggs and soy oil combats the powdered milk in the mix or something...yeah, silly)

Uh, some cake mixes are entirely vegan. I've come across a few that have milk in them, but many brands don't so all you need to do is add vegetable oil, per usual, and some kind of egg replacer.

Cyerena
wont eat chicken eggs but is pro-choice

Vegans aren't against eating chicken eggs because they think there's an embryo or something in them worth saving. Eggs that are sold in grocery stores aren't fertilized.

Cyerena
and thinks a cow doesn't need to be milked

And cows don't need to be milked, they eventually dry up. What do you think other ungulates do in the wild, die of exploded udders? It is true that it can be quite painful for dairy cows to go unmilked, but that's because we've selectively bred them to have larger then normal udders and enhanced milk production.

As for food, your friend should buy her own if she has diet restrictions. I do. It's kind of rude to expect someone to go out of their way to buy you special things. If you insist on buying for her, there are tons of pretzel and potato chip brands that are vegan. You'll have to do some label reading to make sure, though. There are also vegan frozen pizzas, like the roasted vegetable pizza made by Amy's Kitchen, and a bunch of flavors of vegan ice cream made by Dream.

And it depends on the vegan, but I absolutely love some hummus and pita bread for a snack. Why don't you ask her what she likes, since she'll be able to give you a detailed list?
My friend's pretty much vegetarian, so whenever he's over we get him a fruit/veggie platter and he LOVES it. Also, popcorn shouldn't be a problem if you get it without butter, or seperate some for her that has no butter.

Also bread is good. You could get her (and this may sound gross to us omnivores, but delicious to her) bread and put tofu and mustard sprouts on it. They LOVE that over in Germany, so I bet a vegan would too.

I'm no vegan, but I hope that helps a little bit.

Veggie soup might be a good idea as far as an actual stable meal and not snacks, too.
oreos are vegan.
;]
dont know how good they'll be without milk though D:

damn now i'm hungry for some over-easy eggs
Cyerena
Vegans are weird. I love me some sweet beef and some eggs for breakfast, but to each his own I suppose. That's not quite what this topic is about.

I have some friends coming over tomorrow. There will be four of us. all of them have been friends for a long time but there is an issue. One is a vegan and none of the rest of us are. While she will make cakes out of the box (because replacing it with fake eggs and soy oil combats the powdered milk in the mix or something...yeah, silly), wont eat chicken eggs but is pro-choice, and thinks a cow doesn't need to be milked, if we don't have something she will eat, she just wont eat. That is no good. We were going to order pizza, make some popcorn and all sorts of stuff. This wouldn't be an issue if she were a vegetarian or something, skip out on the meat, east enough, but she wont eat the cheese, milk, butter, any of it.

Anyway, onto the question. I was wondering if there are any vegan friendly snacks that I could pick up in an average grocery store. Something kinda fun, party-like food, that wont break my wallet. I would appreciate the help very much.

We're not that weird! xd heart I'm a "nearly vegan" too. I'm probably like a 95% vegan b/c I eat things like honey and I generally don't interrogate waiters on what's in bread at restaurants. Not eating eggs most likely for her has nothing to do with potential baby chicks, but rather the treatment of egg-laying hens is extremely cruel. There are people on both sides of the abortion debate in veganism, but being pro-choice isn't necessarily hypocritical. I'd be pro life, but I really don't think that banning abortions will reduce the amount of abortions that happen, just the level of safety that they have. (think coat-hangers in back-alleys by shady medical practitioners). And some people just shouldn't have children, hands down. No one should have to be born into the world to a hostile environment that reminds them daily that they were a mistake. But I digress. (you brought it up! biggrin ) I've found a good number of vegan treats:
Red Vines or Twizzlers,
air heads,
nerds,
lemonheads,
BBQ and Garlic Soy Crisps (they are so nummy!),
graham crackers,
popcorn packages that don't contain milk, whey, casein, or other dairy derivatives,
virtually all sodas,
apple cider and juices,
potato chips! (just not sour cream and onion or cheese flavors or anything like that)
Salsa,
fruits and veggies!!! (sorry but I love healthy food)
teddy grahams,
regular oreos,
Some guacamole's (most include dairy though, but if you like mashing avacados, lemon juice, and salt together...voilà!)

And, it might be too expensive, but in the frozen foods section there is "no cheese" pizza by the brand name Amy's that is quite delicious and is vegan.

Hope this helped! May compassion prevail!
Ellyn
oreos are vegan.
;]
dont know how good they'll be without milk though D:

I forgot about oreos. They're great with soymilk. :p

Oh yeah, and there's chocolate soymilk you could get, Cyerena. Good stuff.

SWL PacStar's Significant Otter

thank you for the replies, and I apologize. I must sound terribly ignorant. These are all things that she has said to me. That the chicken egg is a chicken, That a cow (naturally) doesn't get engorged things like that. She also still wears her knee length leather trench coat and leather boots. She's just very silly and gets upset when we call her out on it.

Thank you for the food ideas. I will try to look into them.
Order a pizza with no cheese or half a pizza with no cheese.

You can pick up vegan shredded cheese at most Wal-Marts, Hy-Vees, or No-Frills. It tastes exactly like cheese, but is made from vegetables.

Most snack foods are vegan, just check the ingredients to make sure no eggs or milk was used.
Oulgut Pleu
Cyerena
While she will make cakes out of the box (because replacing it with fake eggs and soy oil combats the powdered milk in the mix or something...yeah, silly)

Uh, some cake mixes are entirely vegan. I've come across a few that have milk in them, but many brands don't so all you need to do is add vegetable oil, per usual, and some kind of egg replacer.

Cyerena
wont eat chicken eggs but is pro-choice

Vegans aren't against eating chicken eggs because they think there's an embryo or something in them worth saving. Eggs that are sold in grocery stores aren't fertilized.

Cyerena
and thinks a cow doesn't need to be milked

And cows don't need to be milked, they eventually dry up. What do you think other ungulates do in the wild, die of exploded udders? It is true that it can be quite painful for dairy cows to go unmilked, but that's because we've selectively bred them to have larger then normal udders and enhanced milk production.

As for food, your friend should buy her own if she has diet restrictions. I do. It's kind of rude to expect someone to go out of their way to buy you special things. If you insist on buying for her, there are tons of pretzel and potato chip brands that are vegan. You'll have to do some label reading to make sure, though. There are also vegan frozen pizzas, like the roasted vegetable pizza made by Amy's Kitchen, and a bunch of flavors of vegan ice cream made by Dream.

And it depends on the vegan, but I absolutely love some hummus and pita bread for a snack. Why don't you ask her what she likes, since she'll be able to give you a detailed list?

Hummus with pitas, vegetables, or wheat crackers is so incredibly yummy it should be illegal.

Another great snack is fruit dipped in soy yogurt.

blaugh
Somnolent Insomniac
Order a pizza with no cheese or half a pizza with no cheese.

You can pick up vegan shredded cheese at most Wal-Marts, Hy-Vees, or No-Frills. It tastes exactly like cheese, but is made from vegetables.

Most snack foods are vegan, just check the ingredients to make sure no eggs or milk was used.

You have to be careful about ordering pizza, though, some places put eggs in the dough.

And I've searched all over for vegan cheese, but I haven't been able to find any cheese substitutes that don't have casein/rennet in them. sad

Oh yeah, and be on the lookout for gelatin in labels. It turns up in stuff that you wouldn't expect, like frosted pop tarts and candy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff