Welcome to Gaia! ::

Raddish_Head
deathpixie
[.My Fabricated Love.]
Vegans are idiots to the highest degree. I hope they all die of malnutrition.
Seriously, you are cutting out a ton of nutrients that you need. Supplements have animal by-products in them wink
It is not a healthy thing to do to become a vegan, dumbasses. It's incredibly UNHEALTHY. Have you ever seen a fat vegan?
Yeah, that's because they have no ******** PROTEIN. I'm surprised they don't snap in half from lack of calcium..
Oh yeah, and the animals are still suffering. Just because you don't eat the cow doesn't mean the cow doesn't still die. I don't know why the hell people think that being vegan saves the animals.. IT DOESN'T! They're still ******** DEAD, and you look like an a** because your nutritionist is smacking you around the head.

Vegetarians are idiots as well but not to the same degree

Something every last one of you should understand:
WE ARE OMNIVORES.
Do you think that a lion is humane about it when it shreds a gazelle to bits eating it?
NO, it's not humane at all! We need the damn meat. You don't feel all offended when a fox eats a rabbit, so why should I feel bad for the cow that I'm eating?

I'm sorry you feel this way, but please do some proper research before you make such inflammatory statements, as they are incorrect.
Protein is found in ample amounts in peanuts, tofu, various grains and beans to name a few things. We eat plenty of those things. Calcium is found in various leafy greens, calcium-fortified orange juice, sesame seeds, broccoli and many other vegetables. We also eat plenty of those things.
Cows have to get their protein, calcium and other nutrients from somewhere. Guess where? From plants!
There are also supplements out there that do not contain animal by-products. Don't take it from me, though. Just see for yourself right here.

My doctor thought it was great that I went vegan. wink
She even gave me a list of things I should look out for and things I should be eating. I had already been doing most of the stuff on the list.

I do know a few fat vegans and several borderline chubby ones too.
We won't die of malnutrition because we do take care of ourselves, and it is possible to do so without being dependent upon animals.

Thank you for that. I hate it when people bring up that kind of argument, because all i have to point out is that there are still vegans in the world, and they've been there for years, so obviously they're not dieing off now. Also, I use my friend, whose a vegan, as an example. She does martial arts, and she's super healthy and fit. She's a black belt and she's not skinny at all, but she's really in shape, and not overweight. Not to mention, its not like she has lost a whole bunch of pounds since she became vegan, because its obviously possible for people to surrvive on other things. Easily, especially with modern technology. Myself, I'm only a vegetarian, but ive given some serious thought to becoming vegan.

You should totally go for it! It's alot easier than you might think. I thought it would be really hard, but it didn't take long to adjust at all once I decided to just do it.
I'm a dancer. I dance several hours a day and if I was unhealthy, I would not be able to do that! I am a walking stick figure I have to admit, so I contribute to the "emaciated vegan" stereotype, but I was like that before I even went vegetarian, so it cannot be blamed on my diet. One thing I have noticed is that my skin has definitely been alot clearer since I gave up the dairy. I'm pretty sure I can blame that one on my diet since I haven't broken out since.

8,400 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
gosushoujo
I am Vegan, actually Fruitarian. I eat botanical fruits, nuts, beans, legumes, soy dairy, etc... Its really complex to explain yet simple.

Go you. If you're going to do it for moral reasons, then at least go all the way. I consider anything less to be hypocritical.
I'm a vegetarian but honestly I hardly ever eat vegetables eek

8,400 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
deathpixie
Shadow_Prowler
deathpixie
Shadow_Prowler
That is my point. The deer does not exist for the sole purpose of feeding the wolf. However, in the wolf's mind, that's all it sees. Even though we raise animals for food, that does not mean that is the only way they see their lives. We both feed off the animal to survive, and that is the animal's legacy in death. However, that's not all the animal's life was.

Killing the animal for food is a natural cause. We all need to eat to survive. With pills and processed foods and other unnatural substances, we might manage to live off other things. However, this doesn't mean those of us who do eat meat did not use them for our survival.

You mention natural and unnatural. What is natural and unnatural? A cow would not exist had we not bred them and domesticated them for thousands of years, modifying them constantly to further suit our needs. Is that not unnatural?
Deer existed and evolved on their own. That cow was bred to exist only as food. That is the truth about it's "legacy."

I was referring to your concept 'natural death'. Our killing them is a natural death. If you're against the idea of agriculture and domesticating animals, then you're basically promoting the extinction of several species, including pets. Natural selection modifies animals over time to fit their environment. I don't see our modifying them as being that different.

By legacy, I was referring to what happens to the individual animal after they die. I was not talking about the nature of cows as a whole. If you want to look at cows as a whole, they have been modified by external factors (us) to fit a niche in the environment where they consume food and are used as food. The only difference between that and the evolution of the deer is we had more influence over the evolution of the cow, and other predators and environmental factors influenced the deer's evolution. Just because humans had a hand in it does not mean it's unnatural.

Animals evolve for their own benefit and we force-evolve animals for our own benefit. It is very different.

You also said "With pills and processed foods and other unnatural substances, we might manage to live off other things."
That is what I was addressing with the natural and unnatural. Humans had a hand in these substances too, so why would you call those unnatural and the domestication of cows natural?

Yes, I do support the extinction of domesticated animals, including pets. We have proven that we are irresponsible and cannot handle these animals. Our shelters are in crisis. They're euthanizing animals by the hundreds because they cannot find homes for them. Cats and dogs are being abused or abandoned, freezing, starving and dying on the streets because of our consumerist attitude towards these animals. Shelters are overflowing with homeless animals and yet we are still breeding more and selling them? We bred them to be dependent upon us and we are letting them down. I love my two cats dearly. Both of them are rescued, and I do not want to think what would have happened to them if I hadn't taken them in and honestly, I would rather their species not exist than to have other sweet personalities like them suffer. I will continue to take in homeless animals and support the phasing out of the species through spaying and neutering. To keep them going just because they're cute, cuddly and funny would be selfish of us.

Animals evolve not for their benefit, but in response to environmental factors. Rather, they are shaped by what is advantageous for their survival through natural selection. The cow has been shaped by what is advantageous for his survival as a species. We care for it, provide it with food, protect it from predators, inoculate it to diseases, etc. If it weren't for these advantages, it would never have found a niche with us. Realistically, both species are benefiting.

I do consider a dorito less natural than a steak. It's manufactured. You could say we manufactured the animal, but the entire process it went through to become the way it is really isn't something you couldn't see happening in the natural world. The dorito requires fossil fuels, the breakdown and rearrangement of molecules for artificial flavoring, machinery, and a ton of other stuff to make it the way it is. I wouldn't say one is completely natural and the other completely isn't, but I do see one as being more more natural than the other. Plus meat, in general, is something you can find in the natural world without any human manufacturing. Potato chips aren't.

If you support the extinction of domestic animals, then you should be out there trying to exterminate every cat and dog you find. What you're doing right now is trying to help them. When you have a child that you can not handle, the answer is not to exterminate it. What you do is own up to it and try to take care of it in the best way possible (technically you could give it up for adoption but there is no other species out there to take care of domestic animals). We need to grow up and take responsibility for the other animals out there who depend on us. Not destroy them all as 'mistakes'.

IRL Gawker

7,150 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Regular 100
I am a newfound vegetarian for health and humane reasons.

Perhaps you should try watching the video on meat[dot]org? Be warned, it is graphic.
vegitarian is good but idk i think vegan is a little extream but personal oppinion .. i likemeat so...
Kaiiea

Perhaps you should try watching the video on meat[dot]org? Be warned, it is graphic.

Seen it, and I still eat meat.

You should know where your food comes from and immunize yourself to shock tactics.
Nojitsu
I've always wondered about the whole hunting issue with vegetarians who gave up meat solely because of the whole slaughterhouse issue.
Do you still see hunting deer as exploiting animals? They lived their lives in the woods, natural, not bred exclusively for food or anything else, and were killed by a hunter, is that just as bad? Would you eat that meat?

But nothing enjoys being killed. But it has to happen, one way or another, and death to support life is better than death for nothing. One person giving up meat isn't saving anything. No one is sitting behind a desk at a slaughterhouse counting the amount of converted vegans and killing cows accordingly. They kill what they kill. It gets eaten, or it gets thrown away.

To think that they're cutting down the amount of animals that are being slaughtered because I've stopped eating animal products would be naive. I would like for that to happen obviously, but I do it so that the blood is not on my hands. I don't want to contribute to it, so I don't.
However, in numbers vegans would definitely have an effect on the industry, so I can only hope that there are enough of us one day to make a difference. I will continue to try even if it seems to not make a difference.

I do not need animals to survive, so I don't believe in hunting them. If you are an Inuit living in the Arctic, you have to hunt and eat animals to survive. They have no choice. There is nothing else for them to eat. We, on the other hand can easily avoid it.
Most hunting today is done for sport. It is never "I have to hunt this deer or I will starve and die." Sport is not an acceptable reason for killing an animal. That is exploiting animals.
hwoarang99
We are superior to all animals
Sweet like candy to my soul

This is actually one of the biggest myths of civilized society.
Most people believe they are superior to all other organisms because they're exposed to the belief that an all-powerful being placed them on this planet with the purpose to rule it.
This is why most societies feel no remorse when cutting down forests or destroying natural habitats. Humans feel privileged, and this feeling has led to most of the destruction of our planet.

Humans are not superior to animals.
We have a higher intellect, but that does not constitute superiority.

We can not build a dam with as much precision in as little time with no tools as a beaver can.
We do not have the agility to scale large trees with accurate balance in seconds.
We can not build entire underground cities in days using only our hands.
We can not hold our breath under water for more than a few minutes.
We can not smell a dangerous predator who is 100 yards away.
We have no ability to see clearly in the dark.
We can not walk within minutes of our birth.
We can not run as quick as a cheetah.
We do not have radar hearing.

I think you get the point.
Superiority is subjective.

Sweet you rock and sweet you roll.

IRL Gawker

7,150 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Regular 100
Abstract Nonsense
Kaiiea

Seen it, and I still eat meat.

You should know where your food comes from and immunize yourself to shock tactics.

It is just what came to mind as far as the extremists.

And I do agree- people should be informed in more ways than one and use their own mind to decide their own diet.
Very random obscure question: Does eating less meat reduce sex drive?

xp
I'm totally fine with vegetarians and think that it' a totally noble cause, as long as you don't take up that holier than thou attitude. You are no better, or worse, than someone who eats meat. Remember that.
digivixx
hwoarang99
We are superior to all animals
Sweet like candy to my soul

This is actually one of the biggest myths of civilized society.
Most people believe they are superior to all other organisms because they're exposed to the belief that an all-powerful being placed them on this planet with the purpose to rule it.
This is why most societies feel no remorse when cutting down forests or destroying natural habitats. Humans feel privileged, and this feeling has led to most of the destruction of our planet.

Humans are not superior to animals.
We have a higher intellect, but that does not constitute superiority.

We can not build a dam with as much precision in as little time with no tools as a beaver can.
We do not have the agility to scale large trees with accurate balance in seconds.
We can not build entire underground cities in days using only our hands.
We can not hold our breath under water for more than a few minutes.
We can not smell a dangerous predator who is 100 yards away.
We have no ability to see clearly in the dark.
We can not walk within minutes of our birth.
We can not run as quick as a cheetah.
We do not have radar hearing.

I think you get the point.
Superiority is subjective.

Sweet you rock and sweet you roll.

Or irrelevant if you base your ethical system off of sapience instead of sentience.
I'm 18, I've been a vegetarian/kind of vegan besides I use dairy products since I was 10 years old. I'll be 19 in a little over a month, and this summer will be 9 years...

I have no idea how to tell you to get away from meat...I guess I already didn't like it. It wasn't my favorite part, I was very picky... there were a series of events and a number of reasons...and from the moment I decided to stop, I stopped, and it was completely over.

For others, it's a bit struggle.

It was easy for me because being a vegetarian...is just who I am.

It sucks sometimes though when you go to events where there is nothing that you eat or whatever.

I lost like 35 pounds after spending three and a half weeks in Europe because the "vegetarian meals" the group set up for me were all MUSHROOMS and I find them disgusting razz

I eat too much pasta...I'm really a pastarian haha that's not very healthy.

I would love to tell you to stop eating meat. I would love to tell the world that! But there are sooo many issues that come along with it.

Be careful, be smarter than me, eat healthy, and enjoy it. It has it's perks smile

biggrin
Shadow_Prowler
Animals evolve not for their benefit, but in response to environmental factors. Rather, they are shaped by what is advantageous for their survival through natural selection.

Is that not benefiting them? They evolve so that they can survive.

Shadow_Prowler
The cow has been shaped by what is advantageous for his survival as a species. We care for it, provide it with food, protect it from predators, inoculate it to diseases, etc. If it weren't for these advantages, it would never have found a niche with us. Realistically, both species are benefiting.

If a species cannot survive on its own they go extinct. We are forcing them to survive. Without us, they probably wouldn't. I don't see us modifying cows for their survival as a species for the sole purpose of consumption as them benefiting. Who wants to be bred into a life of slavery?

Shadow_Prowler

I do consider a dorito less natural than a steak. It's manufactured. You could say we manufactured the animal, but the entire process it went through to become the way it is really isn't something you couldn't see happening in the natural world. The dorito requires fossil fuels, the breakdown and rearrangement of molecules for artificial flavoring, machinery, and a ton of other stuff to make it the way it is. I wouldn't say one is completely natural and the other completely isn't, but I do see one as being more more natural than the other. Plus meat, in general, is something you can find in the natural world without any human manufacturing. Potato chips aren't.

But it was made by humans and humans are a part of nature. Fossil fuels are a part of nature. Molecules are a part of nature. Rearranging them to create something is no different from modifying genes of animals. If you consider a dorito artificial, you have to consider a cow as the same level of artificial as well.

Shadow_Prowler

Plus meat, in general, is something you can find in the natural world without any human manufacturing. Potato chips aren't.

But not the kind of meat most of the world actually eats.
The kind of meat you find in the natural world is much different than the kind that we breed.

Shadow_Prowler

If you support the extinction of domestic animals, then you should be out there trying to exterminate every cat and dog you find. What you're doing right now is trying to help them. When you have a child that you can not handle, the answer is not to exterminate it. What you do is own up to it and try to take care of it in the best way possible (technically you could give it up for adoption but there is no other species out there to take care of domestic animals). We need to grow up and take responsibility for the other animals out there who depend on us. Not destroy them all as 'mistakes'.

That is pretty much what I said. Just killing all the animals we created is unethical. Spaying and neutering them, putting an end to breeding them and instead adopting and rescuing them is the responsible thing to do. We have to take care of them until every last one of them has lived out their lives to the fullest, ensuring that no more are bred. It is not killing them all and destroying the evidence. It is cleaning up our mess in the most ethical way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff