Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm surprised that there's even an issue today with parents not vaccinating their children. I recently had my first child and overheard at least 4 or 5 parents telling their doctors that they do not want their child vaccinated without the doctor even asking them.

I think vaccinations should be a legal obligation and if you refuse to vaccinate your poor child, you should not be allowed to send them into the public school system. What makes it worse is the parents that have the mind set that if I vaccinate my child that their unvaccinated child shouldn't affect mine. Vaccines don't make you immune to getting sick, they give your body the tools to fight disease. A room full of children with the measles will give a vaccinated child the measles.

To think this crap all stemmed from a study that has been proven false about vaccines giving children autism.

To this, I summarize, vaccinate your children, if you don't you're an a** and an idiot and your child will grow up to hate you for all the disease you've blessed them with.

Greedy Giver

I'm for sure against the typical vaccination schedule, its just not right to give babies as many shots at a time as they usually do, they need to be spaced out more.

Which, do you think its a possibility that a few of these parents you overheard were more against the normal schedule of vaccinations than they were just completely against their child getting vaccinations?
Most parents do vaccinate, only about 5% don't. And schools do require it, however in most states there is a religious exemption and a medical exemption and a few allow for philosophical exemptions. Which is, basically you give your signature when your child enrolls in school saying this is your reason for not vaccinating your child against [whateveritis].

Also, its not just because of the idea that the mmr vaccine may have to do with a rise in autism (its very possible that it had something to do with it about 20 years ago when there was a sudden rise and if you know anything about autism a child will be developing normally, if not ahead of their peers and all the sudden one day its like they're gone- they no longer speak or make eye contact and its a horrible thing for parents to see happen to their children.. anyway around 20 years ago there were many, many parents that witnessed this RIGHT after their child was given the mmr vaccine and while I consider it safe now idk about saying that its completely false in the time-frame for when this idea first came about)

There is also reason to believe that vaccinations can lead to auto-immune disorders and allergies, which I would tend to believe but so does a slew of other things our children are exposed to (oour food being all genetically modified to be resistant to super-duper fertilizers and pesticides and drowning our fields in them which washes into our water supplies and the patients to these GMOs along with the fertilizers and pesticides all belong to the same chemical company that produced agent orange during the vietnam war so isn't it just a great idea to give them control of all our food???? ) but I think an alternative vaccination schedule may help curb the risk of children developing allergies and auto-immune disorders.

There is also very real serious, though rare side effects that any child can get from a vaccine, and I'm not just talking lethargy or a rash, there is a small percentage that suffer from seizures or paralysis or even death. When were talking about requiring 100% of a huge population to do something that ~.00001% may die from, then children will die from it, thats just basic math. And a government should NEVER have the power to do that, parents need to have rights when it comes to their own decisions as to how to raise their kids in what they see to be the healthiest manner.

Furthermore, drug companies are evil and run on profit and I can't possibly believe that they would ever be as benevolent as the guy who invented the polio vaccine and even if I'm wrong about them being evil and all that, I still don't have much trust in them, let alone enough to put the life of my daughter at risk and support legislation that requires all parents to do so.

Also, we spaced out my daughter's shots a lot when she was little and she is currently vaccinated for everything except chicken pox, for which I had to file a religious exemption for when she started kindergarten this year. Previously the state I lived in allowed for philosophical exemption, which is MUCH more true than saying I'm a crazy-religious nut-bar, but missouri supports its bible thumping more than its academics...

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Only thing I dont agree with is giving babies all those shots at one time.

Enduring Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
People have the right to choose not to vaccinate their children, though I don't agree with it.

Once my son is born, I'll have to be careful about having him around other children when he's too young for vacs. I plan on vaccinating him once he meets the age requirements.

Lucky Star

I don't do flu shots, or chicken pox shots.

But polio and s**t definitely....I don't want my son getting polio
If other parents want to take that risk that's their.choice

Enduring Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
Faerie Dreams

I'm still debating whether or not I want to get my future son the chicken pox vac. On one hand, chicken pox can cause dangerously high fevers, yet when I had it, I had a not-so-bad case of it. Fever, spots, itching... that's about it.

I dunno, I might get it for him.

Demigod

10,350 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Flatterer 200
its 100% irresponsible for a parent not to vaccinate their children.
i believe it should be mandatory for vaccinations in children.
children shouldn't have to suffer being of their idiotic and retarted parents.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Halseleh
People have the right to choose not to vaccinate their children, though I don't agree with it.

Once my son is born, I'll have to be careful about having him around other children when he's too young for vacs. I plan on vaccinating him once he meets the age requirements.

I am so glad I re-read this carefully, I was prepared to be less courteous than usual and call you an irresponsible t**t, and I would have looked very silly.

Though, that whole thing about people having a right to not have their kids vaccinated is, to me, complete and utter bullshit.
See, while I believe there are a lot of 'rights' we should have, the pure and simple truth is that people shouldn't have the right to choose if their kids need a vaccination. The only person who doesn't need a vaccination, has either had them, or is one of those ones with the poor immune system that kind of needs everyone around them to be vaccinated so they might not die of Measels, or Meningitis or whatever the ******** these anti-vac dipshits think is healthy to expose to a young person regardless if it kills them or not.

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
As far as I knew there is a law preventing children from entering public school without the proper vaccinations and I have known people suspended from school for not getting vaccinations done.

Liberal Receiver

It just annoys me because nobody ever looks up that the guy that claimed they caused autism was proved to be full of s**t and lost his medical license.

Pink Plaid
As far as I knew there is a law preventing children from entering public school without the proper vaccinations and I have known people suspended from school for not getting vaccinations done.

I thought there was too.
I know back in the neolithic era when I went to school, you could not attend if you didn't get your MMR.
And this was elementary school, not college.
But that may have just been my school, and not the law.

I'm also pretty sure that MMR and Varicella or MMRV are required for when my son starts kindergarten.

EURRRRDURRRT: Kalen has most of his vaccines. He didn't get the pertussis vacc, but I told anyone that would handle him had to get it.(Myself included.)
He is however due for his MMR, Polio, Diptheria and Tetanus boosters.(He didn't get DPT, the got them separate. Well, not pertussis.)

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Unable to identify Vimeo video URL.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

My kid is up to date on all of his shots. I won't skip any of them unless there is some medical reason. I don't like being sick so I am up to date on my shots too.

I don't agree with spacing out shots. There are so few antigens in them that the shots are way safer compared to the ones in the 80s and before.

I do think unvaccinated kids should be barred from public school unless they have a medical exemption.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Faerie Dreams

Its irresponsible, not just a personal risk.

There are health conditions that make it so you can't get vaccinations. Those people rely on heard immunity to not get sick. Someone chooses not to vaccinate, their kid gets sick, it puts the people who couldn't get vaccinations at serious risk.

and you should vaccinate for chicken pox. It has a chance of being really deadly, which gets worse as you get older. My grandfather almost died from it when he caught from 3 year-old me.

Enduring Phantom

Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit. You know another really good business? Teeny tiny baby coffins. You can get them in frog green or fire engine red. Really. The antibodies in yummy mummy only protect the kid for 6 months, which is why these companies think they can gouge you. They think that you’ll spend whatever they ask to keep your kid alive. Want to change things? Prove them wrong. A few hundred parents like you decide they’d rather let their kid die then cough up 40 bucks for a vaccination, believe me, prices will drop REALLY fast. Gribbit, gribbit, gribbit, gribbit, gribbit.
Pink Plaid

Parents are allowed to refuse to give their kids shots, but they have to sign a contract that states that they're aware of the risks and stuff. I always thought that kids have to have their shots up to date before being enrolled in a school, but nope.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff