Welcome to Gaia! ::

Remy is back again....

Please don't kill me. D: 0.13836948391922 13.8% [ 185 ]
I'll be nice, I promise. 0.23186237845924 23.2% [ 310 ]
I'm back for now, we're all good right? 0.14210919970082 14.2% [ 190 ]
Wait... What are you doing with that knife? 0.48765893792072 48.8% [ 652 ]
Total Votes:[ 1337 ]

Loiterer

User ImageI was on reddit earlier today and there was a relationship advice thread. OP was a female with a boyfriend. The boyfriend had an MtF friend. OP refuses to use female pronouns for said friend (but tries to be nice about it). Boyfriend gets insulted and angry with OP. OP makes advice thread on reddit asking 1.) Why her bf is mad at her for her beliefs (she's not forcing them on anyone else)., 2. How to make him not so mad at her.

All the answers are pretty much about what pronouns mean to transgender people, don't really answer her question. I made an interesting (albeit long) analogy about how her behavior makes her and the people she associates with look bad.

My question here is: Is this a good analogy I should refine and keep using, or does it suck/not make sense?

Analogy below:
Everything everyone said here is great, but I feel like it's not really getting the point across in how your actions affect other people (and not just the MtF).

For starters, I'd like to say that I moderately agree with your opinion on transgender people. And you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But as you are entitled to your opinion, your bf is also entitled to his. And his opinion seems to be that you're a bad person (because of your opinion).

But, honestly, it's probably not because of your opinion. It's because of your actions. When you talk about the MtF, you say her male name and male pronouns. When the MtF is in vent, do you continue to do this?

This is bad. And it's not bad just because of the MtF's feelings.

Imagine you are asian, and you are married to an american. You decide to have dinner with some family and friends. There is another asian there.
You, as an asian, have decreed that everything, everywhere, must be eaten by chop sticks. This is the "asian way" and it's how you've lived. You try to be nice about it, so you bring your own chopsticks everywhere so you can eat with them.

Your husband, the american, thinks you're kind of weird, but respects your views, so lets you do whatever you want. He personally could eat with any utensil. The problem occurs when you go out to eat, and there is another asian.

"Finally!" You think, "Another asian to share my chopstick habits with!" You go into the luncheon thinking about all the fun you'll have and how many parallels you can see now that you have someone who eats with chopsticks with you.

The other asian comes, and they start eating immediately with a fork.
"That's not right!" You think. "You're asian, like me! Why don't you eat with chopsticks?!" The other asian says they ate with chopsticks for a while, but they find they enjoy using forks now.

Deeply hurt, you try not to say anything to the individual themselves, but any time the subject comes up, you talk about how it's "Not right" for an asian to not be using chopsticks-- there must be something wrong with this asian-- are they REALLY asian?

Meanwhile, at every outing, you continue eating with your chopsticks.

Now, you may feel like you're not sticking out, and this is personal preference. But do you realize how *silly* it looks to an outsider that you are eating with chopsticks when everyone else is not? And that when you say "They can't REALLY be asian" that not only does it reflect your personal opinion, but it *also* reflects the people who choose to hang out with you?

If OP's BF puts up with OP and her behavior... Is OP's bf thinking the same thing OP is secretly...?

This breeds distrust, and it makes the person being talked about feel isolated.

You should also keep in mind that everyone you eat with, is tolerating your use of chopsticks. It's just personal preference, after all. Why bother to call you out on it and force you to eat with a fork? It would be impolite. As such, it would *also* be impolite to assert that you *were not* an *american*. (You had married an american afterall-- so now you're an american-asian who uses chopsticks. Not *Just an asian*).

So, since your friends/family have always put up with, and tolerated your chopstick eating habits, why is it so difficult for you to tolerate the other asian's lack of chopstick use?

The chopsticks are male pronouns and male name (that you use for the MtF). Perhaps it is best to re-evaluate the situations you are in, and determine that chopsticks are not the best utensils in certain situations.

If you are on Vent/Steam/whatever, and this person sounds like a girl, acts like a girl, has a girl name, and you continue to use male pronouns and name for her, you are only making yourself look silly. Unfortunately your silliness is also reflected in your boyfriend... "Hey OP's BF, why do you date OP? She's really kind of silly."

It's something worth thinking about. Sorry for the huge wall of text.

**TL;DR your behavior does not only reflect you, but also that of your peers. You're likely making them look bad.**

Questionable Bunny

9,550 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Desideraht
theamazingwrabbit
Desideraht
So when I style my hair more "conventional," people think I'm younger. I had my hair combed back in a more sophisticated way and people thought I was a lot younger today. Duly noted, lol. But I still passed as male.

Going to yoga at the LGBT center tomorrow morning. I guess I'll work out at the beach after that. Hoping to go to the weekly support meeting as well. Asked a coworker if he could cover me and he said he could if I asked everyone else and they said no. So basically that's what happened and I don't have his number so I had to message him on FB, lol. We've never had contact online so I hope he gets it... Want to friend him but not sure if I should friend coworkers. IDK, he's really chill. Plus I'm leaving this job in a couple months anyway.

The weekly support groups have really helped. I mean tremendously. And they kind of force me to hold myself accountable, keep track, and face my fears. It's really nice. You know people who have fully transitioned and s**t, they have it all squared off, and they can just live as "normal" men if they want, but I am far from that. So as much as I feel confident in my identity, I still need support because of how I look and s**t. I like to pretend like it doesn't bother me when people say I'm young/feminine, but it does. That being said, I also felt very hit on by some girls yesterday, and was getting a lot of "looks" if you get what I mean. I mean like I was getting checked out. It was refreshing.

Wow im super jealous of you... i told one of my teachers about my transliness the other day and the first thing they commented on was my feminine features... >.<
I went to my old high school and was hit on big time by some underage girls, that felt really good!!
And i know what you mean about knowing you're a man on the inside but looking so un-manly. I have no problems with self-image in my mind, i am uundoubtedly male! But when i look in the mirror is when i start to get all dysphoric and all that s**t...
I wish there was a weekly LGBT center near me ;___; i think there is a monthly one but i havent been able to get at the doctor.
Well, it DOES help that I've been on testosterone. Everyone asks me how long but I can't give them an exact number. I was on, then off, then on again. And my dose is totally... uncertain. I have not had my levels checked so I don't even know if it's working right. That being said, it IS working, just... perhaps not to it's full potential. We'll know when my levels get looked at, which should be relatively soon.

I don't like it when young girls hit on me. It makes me feel like they think I'm their age. I'm 22. >_>

I don't mind being androgynous, though I do wish I looked a bit more my age. I'm slowly getting there.

hmm! i thought you were supposed to be all caught up with that testosterone checking! it's your health! ;u;

At this point, if anyone hits on me i'll be surprised and flattered, so i didnt care. plus im 19, i'm pretty much their age, and on top of that i look like a preteen anyways.

Dapper Phantom

theamazingwrabbit
hmm! i thought you were supposed to be all caught up with that testosterone checking! it's your health! ;u;

At this point, if anyone hits on me i'll be surprised and flattered, so i didnt care. plus im 19, i'm pretty much their age, and on top of that i look like a preteen anyways.
No, sadly... I've been out of luck. There aren't many resources around here. I didn't get my appointment set up today but I'm trying again tomorrow.

I tend to get hit on quite a bit... at least lately. >.< I think it's because T is kicking in AND I'm dressing more in the fashions I like (which are pretty sexy, I won't lie).
xd

Dapper Phantom

Tonight's update:

Tonight was CRAZY.
I had a girl give me her number at group tonight. She isn't really my type, but she's hot. Like I just don't think our personalities would work at all. But I am so flattered. This is literally the first time a girl has handed me her number like that. And in the last couple weeks, I've had a lot of girls say I'm cute/hot.

With another girl, I had this crazy conversation:

Her: I saw how you looked at that girl. You were smiiiiling.
Me: Oh. I just... love tattoos. Her chest piece is so gorgeous...
Her: You like tattoos, eh?
Me: Oh, yeah. They're really great...
Her: So they make you c** super fast, right?
And right there, my head nearly popped. She read my ******** mind, but I was shy to admit it. Somehow she intrinsically knew a philia rousing up inside of me that I wasn't even consciously aware of myself. Right after that she admitted that she's the same way, and I just melted. Like basically we both admitted to each other a huge turn on that we share and it was OMG.

Holy s**t. I just wanted to be like... "Take me." LOL. But she has a girlfriend and stuff. And I barely know her. But something about that conversation was really ********' hot to me and I feel so goddamn liberated.

I was surrounded by girls tonight, lol. Another girl (trans, pre-everything) and I really got along and got talking and I really enjoyed her company. She wants me to hang out with her and her friends and play games and stuff (we talked about DnD and Starcraft and Diablo and stuff like that). It was fun. And it felt good to make a new friend.

There's ANOTHER girl who is super cute, gothic and everything. Though she's only 16. If she was 18 or older, I'd want to bone her so bad, just saying. But yeah, I love her style and she puts together her clothes/make up/hair herself and it looks freaking AMAZING. She's so inspiring and a strong/beautiful person. You could say I have a harmless crush on her. I am wary-- I have felt this way about a young person before. When I was 19 I had a crush on a 15 year old and it sucked. That girl, who is now 18, recently confessed to me that she "still likes me". I had NO idea she liked me back THEN. I'm glad I didn't because I was SO into her that I almost DID come onto her despite her age. But yeah... I try NOT to prey on young girls, 'cos that's ******** up.

In other news... I contacted the clinic but didn't get my appointment set up yet. They aren't all that organized but I'll keep trying tomorrow, lol. I just need someone to pick up the phone. Basically I don't think people are by the phone enough, so it goes to the answering machine. I did leave my number but it was almost 5 PM by that time... so they may call me in the morning. That being said, I am excited to get my levels checked, and on injections.

I've decided my first name is going to be Dante, though in many situations I will still go as Dan (such as with family). But I presented the name at group and people felt like it suited me and agreed with my reasoning. When I said it felt like a silly name they all were saying it wasn't and it's fine. It was reassuring and I feel firm in my decision.

I'm slipping closer and closer to the lifestyle I've been yearning to live, but I am also being cautious. I don't want to lose myself to the culture.

In other news... I don't connect with my BF at all anymore. Like it's like he's a complete stranger. It's really ******** hard to talk to him. I want to work s**t out but his voice and his presence annoys me. I told him we need to be "separated" for a while and see if it makes it easier to talk to him later or something. But I also told him if I want to date other people, I will. And he's "hanging in there". He wants us to stay together but honestly he doesn't turn me on anymore and we aren't connecting emotionally so what is there left? The friendship is getting destroyed too because he's so goddamn codependent and it puts a lot of stress on me. So yeah, I think the relationship is basically ending, and I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so...easy? Like I'd love to see him out of my life but I'm trying to be decent about it and not a complete a*****e. I thought breaking up with him would destroy me but I'm realizing... it really isn't. He just doesn't appeal to me anymore really. And I'm trying not to let his reaction guilt me into staying. I know he's going to melt down and act like it's the end of the world but I can't keep letting him do this to me.

So yeah, life is a little crazy, but I'm hanging in there.

Questionable Bunny

9,550 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Desideraht
theamazingwrabbit

No, sadly... I've been out of luck. There aren't many resources around here. I didn't get my appointment set up today but I'm trying again tomorrow.

I tend to get hit on quite a bit... at least lately. >.< I think it's because T is kicking in AND I'm dressing more in the fashions I like (which are pretty sexy, I won't lie).
xd

Nice! So people are telling me i have a mustache going on, im not sure if im upset at that because now it's giving me away at work or to be happy because i love facial hair...

Do tell me what kind of fashions you're wearing!

Questionable Bunny

9,550 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Desideraht
Tonight's update:

Tonight was CRAZY.

lol, sounds like you had a LOT of fun... where do you go? Is that at a bar, or club, or what?

Man it's too bad about your boyfriend! If i had any relationship experience i'd help you but unfortunately thats not the case...
best wishes.

Dapper Phantom

theamazingwrabbit
Desideraht
Tonight's update:

Tonight was CRAZY.

lol, sounds like you had a LOT of fun... where do you go? Is that at a bar, or club, or what?

Man it's too bad about your boyfriend! If i had any relationship experience i'd help you but unfortunately thats not the case...
best wishes.
An LGBT group. Like... a support group, lol. There was a lot of fun side conversations and stuff after, though.

And yeah, the relationship is... dissolving. Naturally. It's like I can't stop it. I'm not into him anymore. It's weird.

As for fashions... I'm dressing goth/punk/alternative sort of stuff. Really dark stuff. I want to get more leather but it's expensive, haha.

Questionable Bunny

9,550 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Desideraht
theamazingwrabbit
Desideraht
Tonight's update:

Tonight was CRAZY.

best wishes.
An LGBT group. Like... a support group, lol. There was a lot of fun side conversations and stuff after, though.

And yeah, the relationship is... dissolving. Naturally. It's like I can't stop it. I'm not into him anymore. It's weird.

As for fashions... I'm dressing goth/punk/alternative sort of stuff. Really dark stuff. I want to get more leather but it's expensive, haha.

Well i think at this point then the relationship has naturally come to a point where you need to stop u.u GO OUT THERE MAN score some ladies/mans whatever you want.

ah that's pretty cool! I was trying to get into Ouji/Dandy fashions just to wear by myself, but i also wanted to look grown up in public so i should probably get some more button-up shirts. Maybe if i dress like a hipster then I'll pass better...

Dapper Phantom

theamazingwrabbit
Desideraht
theamazingwrabbit
Desideraht
Tonight's update:

Tonight was CRAZY.

best wishes.

Well i think at this point then the relationship has naturally come to a point where you need to stop u.u GO OUT THERE MAN score some ladies/mans whatever you want.

ah that's pretty cool! I was trying to get into Ouji/Dandy fashions just to wear by myself, but i also wanted to look grown up in public so i should probably get some more button-up shirts. Maybe if i dress like a hipster then I'll pass better...
What I WANT... is to ******** a girl or trans guy and get them to climax so I can feel like I can have a good sex life without a p***s. But I don't want a relationship. ******** that. Relationships? Not what I want. Like, ever again. I can't trust people. I want sex without strings attached and with someone open-minded who I'm attracted to. I want the trust to be skin deep-- just provided that we both are STD-free. That's it. I don't want commitment or any other s**t that I have to rely on someone else on.

Honestly I tried the whole dapper thing and I didn't like the way it made people perceive me.

Adorable Fisher

People are still not understanding how important it is to me that I want to be called with male pronouns. One my friend's greetings is "hey, girl!" and I'm like " gonk but...but..." It seems like I talk to them sternly about it and for like a week they're super respectful but then they lapse back into calling me a girl and saying "she". I don't know how to make them stop that. When they do that it makes me feel like I'm stupid and I'm stupid for wanting to transition because I'll always be a girl to people, even to my closest friends. Plus, when I ask them to call me with male pronouns, things get super awkward until they lapse back into girl pronouns.

I know its easy to say "get new friends", but I've made new friends since my decision to transition and they call me with girl pronouns, too... I get that over the anonymity of the internet I come across as a girl because of certain social factors (I squeal and fanboy over guys, for instance, and get buddy-buddy with girls like in a high school clique) but that doesn't mean I am a girl...and people don't get it.

I have the weird feeling that even if I were born a man this same problem would be happening.

Part of me is like, "damn it, why can't you see me as that gay friend girls like to have scream " because that would be better than being called a girl all the time even though that's still not entirely accurate...but at least they'd be calling me "he".

Maybe this will only change if I can say, "enough! This is my picture! Stop calling me 'she'!!" and show them my picture after I've transitioned. But that's years in the making... And forget real life. I currently look so woman that there's no way I'd pass. No one would call me "he" in real life...

[edit]: oh ho ho. I just found a post on my friend's Tumblr advertising my Demon Stories in a loving way, but in it she goes "Check out her blog! She writes amazing!" and I'm like, "I appreciate this soooooo much but you just made your 400 followers think I am a woman." Its a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Part of me is like, "roll with it" but part of me is having a tantrum.

Dapper Phantom

MarigoldMari
People are still not understanding how important it is to me that I want to be called with male pronouns. One my friend's greetings is "hey, girl!" and I'm like " gonk but...but..." It seems like I talk to them sternly about it and for like a week they're super respectful but then they lapse back into calling me a girl and saying "she". I don't know how to make them stop that. When they do that it makes me feel like I'm stupid and I'm stupid for wanting to transition because I'll always be a girl to people, even to my closest friends. Plus, when I ask them to call me with male pronouns, things get super awkward until they lapse back into girl pronouns.
The way I fixed this is I said "he" every time they said "she". So they'd be like, "Yeah, she's great!" and I'd be like, "He's great." I'd say it like an English teacher correcting a child's grammar.

Quote:
I know its easy to say "get new friends", but I've made new friends since my decision to transition and they call me with girl pronouns, too... I get that over the anonymity of the internet I come across as a girl because of certain social factors (I squeal and fanboy over guys, for instance, and get buddy-buddy with girls like in a high school clique) but that doesn't mean I am a girl...and people don't get it.

I have the weird feeling that even if I were born a man this same problem would be happening.
Well your female avatar on Gaia doesn't help. I get "she'd" even with my male avatar sometimes, so I had to make it more obvious that my avatar is male.
Also, while I do know a FEW gay men who "squee" over stuff, most gay men I know are still obviously guys. Some trans guys act "indistinguishably female" online and I must admit, it is a little annoying. I think there is a fine line between GIRL and GAY. And I'm NOT saying you're a girl-- but you are one of those trans guys who acts a lot like one. It will confuse people. I had the same problem and I learned in order to be happy, I had to mellow out just a little bit.

But for the record, yes, a lot of cisgender gay men will deal with this, though not necessarily to the same degree.

Quote:
Part of me is like, "damn it, why can't you see me as that gay friend girls like to have scream " because that would be better than being called a girl all the time even though that's still not entirely accurate...but at least they'd be calling me "he".
This is a potential issue. Don't envision yourself as "someone you would like to be". Think about who you REALLY are, and ease into it. We talked about J-rockers and stuff, and idolizing guys. I don't think we should try to BE those people. I picked Jayy Von Monroe as my BODY idol... Nothing else. I don't want to BE him, though I do know he will greatly influence my path in a lot of ways, along with other tattooed musicians. There's inspiration, and then there's copying. As much as I wish I could be born his twin or something, that's just not what happened. I'm me.

On the other hand, while I don't think we should COPY people, I did realize that I can be WHOEVER the ******** I want. Right now. I don't have to "easy into it", I don't have to meet people's expectations. I literally can change into the man I want to be (personality wise) overnight. And honestly? Ever since I started thinking like that, I've gotten a lot more popular, and people have addressed me as male in a whole new way. Before, I was just a "boy". Now? I have girls hitting on me. It tells me I'm a man.

Quote:
Maybe this will only change if I can say, "enough! This is my picture! Stop calling me 'she'!!" and show them my picture after I've transitioned. But that's years in the making... And forget real life. I currently look so woman that there's no way I'd pass. No one would call me "he" in real life...
I can already tell you, even in pictures where I completely pass, people try to seek out "female" portions of it. They are stubborn. If they think you're a girl, they'll be like, "YOU HAVE FEMALE EYES/LIPS/HAIR" and other random non-gendered parts of you will suddenly be "FEMALE". Additionally... like I said, your avatar, and likely avatars on other sites as well, is really feminine. It will confuse people. I'm not saying "go butch" or something, but as long as you have like, lolita anime girls as your profile pics, people are going to think you're a girl (which is funny because most people I know with that kind of s**t on their profiles are guys, but that's a whole other situation).

Basically if you have to put "I am a boy" in your sig, you're not presenting masculinely enough. I had this issue for a while and I just had to man up a bit so that I no longer needed to say "I'M A BOY!" in my signature. If you look around, most people don't have to specify their gender.

Also worth noting; I understand being a feminine man. I understand being a gay man and a man who occasionally crossdresses and other things. But I make that an aside when it comes to my presentation. If I wear it as a front, and people know I'm trans, they'll just think I'm a girl that wants to be a boy, not a man. And there is a difference.

Quote:
[edit]: oh ho ho. I just found a post on my friend's Tumblr advertising my Demon Stories in a loving way, but in it she goes "Check out her blog! She writes amazing!" and I'm like, "I appreciate this soooooo much but you just made your 400 followers think I am a woman." Its a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Part of me is like, "roll with it" but part of me is having a tantrum.
See, I would just reblog her post and politely correct pronouns. Here's my tumblr: http://desideraht.tumblr.com Not only do I make it clear that I am male, but I also add that I am FtM, to clear up any confusion. But it's a side-note. I don't exactly advertise my transsexuality. I just don't attempt to hide/deny it.

Adorable Fisher

Desideraht
MarigoldMari
The way I fixed this is I said "he" every time they said "she". So they'd be like, "Yeah, she's great!" and I'd be like, "He's great." I'd say it like an English teacher correcting a child's grammar.

Quote:

Well your female avatar on Gaia doesn't help. I get "she'd" even with my male avatar sometimes, so I had to make it more obvious that my avatar is male.
Also, while I do know a FEW gay men who "squee" over stuff, most gay men I know are still obviously guys. Some trans guys act "indistinguishably female" online and I must admit, it is a little annoying. I think there is a fine line between GIRL and GAY. And I'm NOT saying you're a girl-- but you are one of those trans guys who acts a lot like one. It will confuse people. I had the same problem and I learned in order to be happy, I had to mellow out just a little bit.

But for the record, yes, a lot of cisgender gay men will deal with this, though not necessarily to the same degree.

Quote:
This is a potential issue. Don't envision yourself as "someone you would like to be". Think about who you REALLY are, and ease into it. We talked about J-rockers and stuff, and idolizing guys. I don't think we should try to BE those people. I picked Jayy Von Monroe as my BODY idol... Nothing else. I don't want to BE him, though I do know he will greatly influence my path in a lot of ways, along with other tattooed musicians. There's inspiration, and then there's copying. As much as I wish I could be born his twin or something, that's just not what happened. I'm me.

On the other hand, while I don't think we should COPY people, I did realize that I can be WHOEVER the ******** I want. Right now. I don't have to "easy into it", I don't have to meet people's expectations. I literally can change into the man I want to be (personality wise) overnight. And honestly? Ever since I started thinking like that, I've gotten a lot more popular, and people have addressed me as male in a whole new way. Before, I was just a "boy". Now? I have girls hitting on me. It tells me I'm a man.

Quote:
I can already tell you, even in pictures where I completely pass, people try to seek out "female" portions of it. They are stubborn. If they think you're a girl, they'll be like, "YOU HAVE FEMALE EYES/LIPS/HAIR" and other random non-gendered parts of you will suddenly be "FEMALE". Additionally... like I said, your avatar, and likely avatars on other sites as well, is really feminine. It will confuse people. I'm not saying "go butch" or something, but as long as you have like, lolita anime girls as your profile pics, people are going to think you're a girl (which is funny because most people I know with that kind of s**t on their profiles are guys, but that's a whole other situation).

Basically if you have to put "I am a boy" in your sig, you're not presenting masculinely enough. I had this issue for a while and I just had to man up a bit so that I no longer needed to say "I'M A BOY!" in my signature. If you look around, most people don't have to specify their gender.

Also worth noting; I understand being a feminine man. I understand being a gay man and a man who occasionally crossdresses and other things. But I make that an aside when it comes to my presentation. If I wear it as a front, and people know I'm trans, they'll just think I'm a girl that wants to be a boy, not a man. And there is a difference.

Quote:
See, I would just reblog her post and politely correct pronouns. Here's my tumblr: http://desideraht.tumblr.com Not only do I make it clear that I am male, but I also add that I am FtM, to clear up any confusion. But it's a side-note. I don't exactly advertise my transsexuality. I just don't attempt to hide/deny it.
I don't want to annoy the f*ck out of my friends by correcting them every time because I'd be correcting all the time. I guess its a situation of "annoy the f*ck out of them, or be annoyed by them". :: sighs::

On another website, my avatar is dressed very male and they still do this. Its not the avatar. Hell, on this website, everyone calls me "he" and my avatar is dressed female. So I know its definitely not the avatar. I'm not "acting gay" or "acting like a girl". I am just me ): Hell, I'm not even gay. I'm actually pansexual and am attracted more to girls. Why do we have to have labels? I'm just me, once again.

And whoa whoa whoa. I don't want to BE one of the people I "idolize". I admire J-rockers because I am Asian and that kind of body is how I could possibly look if I can take hormones. I also decided to be who the f*ck I want, and that person is someone who is androgynous but male, enjoys all sorts of fashion on my body (that's also why my avatar is as such), and can be as feminine or as masculine as I damn well please. I only said "why can't they see me as" because that would possibly be easier for them to understand and its better than being called "she" all the damn time.

o.O I like wearing women's clothing and I will continue to after transition. Clothes are just clothes to me, they don't have a gender. Hell, on another website I have my picture proudly displayed in my profile and I explain that I can dress however the hell I want no matter what gender I am.

"Not presenting masculine enough". Since when do guys have to always present masculine? That p*ssed me off. Sorry.

On my Tumblr it says I am a boy.

Oh lord I'm pretty mad. I have to stop talking or else I'll go on some rant at you.

Loiterer

MarigoldMari
I guess its a situation of "annoy the f*ck out of them, or be annoyed by them". :: sighs::
User ImageUnfortunately, it is exactly this. Sorry.

You are awesome because you're always here in the thread to say something positive. I can't do that and what you do takes strength and word prowess I will probably never have. That is why the following makes me feel a little guilty to post.

Guys get called girls when they act feminine. The world has very tilted views. They do this in person and online. "Throw like a girl" "scream like a girl" etc. It happens. "Hey gurl, let's go to the mall" is a FREQUENT greeting I hear between gay men, so while I understand you're upset about it because you're not a girl... Gay guys and feminine guys go through the same thing.

Online, you really do come off as a girl. And you write about things that typically girls write about. If you want to be seen as a guy, you either need to start be more forceful about your gender, or you need to start acting more masculine. I guess this is a lose-lose situation for you. If you're not willing to do either of those, you need to learn how to develop a thick skin.

As far as in person goes, if you don't pass, then yes, you need to KEEP REMINDING people you want male pronouns. Yes, it seems like you're being an a**. But if you look like a girl, have a girl name, and/or were introduced into these people's lives as a girl, then they will forget. They're not forgetting to be malicious, they're not trying to "out" you. They have just grown used to calling you girl name and girl pronouns. So then when they make the mistake and you don't correct them, the mistake never gets fixed and they feel they have a free pass.

Now, I don't approve of calling people out in front of others. I think that's an a*****e thing to do. So if someone calls me 'she', I'll let it go and just try to get the point across that I am male in my own way, without actually correcting the person who called me she.

Then, when I get out of the conversation, I will pull that person aside and say, "I'm sorry, but you called me 'she'. I didn't want to correct you in front of other people, but you need to call me 'he' from now on."

Generally speaking, every time this has happened, their answer is "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't even realize." And they make efforts to correct themselves.

YES it will be awkward YES it will feel weird. It is a learning curve that everybody has to deal with. You are training them to use male pronouns and name. When you make it known you walk your dog so it poops outside, you don't just ignore when they poop on the floor in the house instead. You walk them outside more often and you keep doing it until they stop pooping on the floor. That was probably a shitty (hah) analogy, but regardless. This is how you get people to use male pronouns for you.

Dapper Phantom

MarigoldMari
I don't want to annoy the f*ck out of my friends by correcting them every time because I'd be correcting all the time. I guess its a situation of "annoy the f*ck out of them, or be annoyed by them". :: sighs::

On another website, my avatar is dressed very male and they still do this. Its not the avatar. Hell, on this website, everyone calls me "he" and my avatar is dressed female. So I know its definitely not the avatar. I'm not "acting gay" or "acting like a girl". I am just me ): Hell, I'm not even gay. I'm actually pansexual and am attracted more to girls. Why do we have to have labels? I'm just me, once again.

And whoa whoa whoa. I don't want to BE one of the people I "idolize". I admire J-rockers because I am Asian and that kind of body is how I could possibly look if I can take hormones. I also decided to be who the f*ck I want, and that person is someone who is androgynous but male, enjoys all sorts of fashion on my body (that's also why my avatar is as such), and can be as feminine or as masculine as I damn well please. I only said "why can't they see me as" because that would possibly be easier for them to understand and its better than being called "she" all the damn time.

o.O I like wearing women's clothing and I will continue to after transition. Clothes are just clothes to me, they don't have a gender. Hell, on another website I have my picture proudly displayed in my profile and I explain that I can dress however the hell I want no matter what gender I am.

"Not presenting masculine enough". Since when do guys have to always present masculine? That p*ssed me off. Sorry.

On my Tumblr it says I am a boy.

Oh lord I'm pretty mad. I have to stop talking or else I'll go on some rant at you.
I know it sounds annoying to correct them constantly, but how ******** annoying is it when they call you a girl? Who's getting annoyed more here? At their slight "inconvenience," you can correct their misgendering, or, to your injury, they can keep calling you a girl. There is no value to you taking it to make them "comfortable". If calling you a man annoys the ******** out of them, you really might actually need new friends. Change isn't easy, and they need to get that.

I know it's difficult to define what "acting gay" or "acting like a girl" means online, but if people are calling you a girl online, you are doing something to make them think you're a girl. Personally I don't like labels either, but the vast majority of the world uses them.

Well I never meant to say you wanted to be one of those J-rockers necessarily, but I do see a lot of trans guys idolize other people and basically try to transition into that person (or be virtually their clone). I just wanted to address that such an approach will only lead to disappointment, if you haven't been told that already. But beware this: If you choose the path of androgyny, you will always have people calling you a girl, so basically, you have to just not let it bother you. That being said, it is still unacceptable among people who KNOW you, like close family and friends. They should know, and respect, your pronoun-- without getting "annoyed". Do they REALLY think your existence as a man is ANNOYING? Who the ******** are THEY?

If you appear female in body, and wear female clothing, don't get all upset when people clock you as a female. That is the message you are sending people. Even men who wear drag, do not get all upset if someone calls them "she", because that is the message they are sending to the world. Take Jeffree Star for instance. He accepts both male and female pronouns, because he is an androgynous being, with a heavy feminine presentation. People genuinely cannot tell if he identifies as a man or a woman, and frankly, he likes it that way. So he will accept either pronoun.

If you are presenting feminine, have boobs, and other female traits, then don't expect people to see you as MALE. You are a "female boy who dresses like a girl". People are not going to see the boy part. I see way too many FtM cross dressers who get all pissed at people who can't read their minds. That's not fair.

I am the last person that will ever enforce "gender roles" or say that a man or woman has to be a "certain way". But if you look 100% female and dress 100% female you can't expect people to think you're a guy just by looking at you, and, they won't take it very seriously when you say you are one either. That is the general consensus. A female who dresses, acts, and looks entirely female but claims to be a male, in most people's minds, is just a poseur. And I am NOT saying that is what you are. I am just saying that is how people will perceive you. They think of it as a "phase" because your ACTION is not showing anything distinctly male. I am not telling you to change your manner, but I am telling you that this is how people will react to you as long as you are this way. So basically you just have to get used to it, especially from strangers. Though I still think you should stand up for pronouns with your friends. They might actually find it annoying because you present as female basically but want to be addressed as a male. They might be embarrassed calling you he because you appear to be a "she" to everyone because of how you dress/present yourself. I am NOT justifying their misgendering, I am just explaining why it may be difficult for them. So you have to push them harder if you want male pronouns. Enough said. You are asking for them to call someone who is visually female a male, and you don't even dress or present in a "male" fashion. It is not going to be easy for people to register this. This is why early in my transition, I went as butch as humanly possible. Then, after I was out for a couple years, I went more androgynous. It made early transition easier. Like I said, I am not telling you to do this, but it worked for me.

I'm not trying to invalidate you, either. I think you're reading a bit too deeply into this. I am the LAST person who would ever say a person has to follow gender roles. However, you are sending one message, and expecting people to read another. That is unreasonable.

Edit: Let me clarify two things. First, in a perfect world, this would not be an issue. And second, I know it's possible for people to look past this, because I do on a daily basis. I have many MtFs, for instance, who present in "guy mode" a lot still (mostly because they don't have a choice). and I still see them as women.

Adorable Fisher

Desideraht
I know it sounds annoying to correct them constantly, but how ******** annoying is it when they call you a girl? Who's getting annoyed more here? At their slight "inconvenience," you can correct their misgendering, or, to your injury, they can keep calling you a girl. There is no value to you taking it to make them "comfortable". If calling you a man annoys the ******** out of them, you really might actually need new friends. Change isn't easy, and they need to get that.

I know it's difficult to define what "acting gay" or "acting like a girl" means online, but if people are calling you a girl online, you are doing something to make them think you're a girl. Personally I don't like labels either, but the vast majority of the world uses them.

Well I never meant to say you wanted to be one of those J-rockers necessarily, but I do see a lot of trans guys idolize other people and basically try to transition into that person (or be virtually their clone). I just wanted to address that such an approach will only lead to disappointment, if you haven't been told that already. But beware this: If you choose the path of androgyny, you will always have people calling you a girl, so basically, you have to just not let it bother you. That being said, it is still unacceptable among people who KNOW you, like close family and friends. They should know, and respect, your pronoun-- without getting "annoyed". Do they REALLY think your existence as a man is ANNOYING? Who the ******** are THEY?

If you appear female in body, and wear female clothing, don't get all upset when people clock you as a female. That is the message you are sending people. Even men who wear drag, do not get all upset if someone calls them "she", because that is the message they are sending to the world. Take Jeffree Star for instance. He accepts both male and female pronouns, because he is an androgynous being, with a heavy feminine presentation. People genuinely cannot tell if he identifies as a man or a woman, and frankly, he likes it that way. So he will accept either pronoun.

If you are presenting feminine, have boobs, and other female traits, then don't expect people to see you as MALE. You are a "female boy who dresses like a girl". People are not going to see the boy part. I see way too many FtM cross dressers who get all pissed at people who can't read their minds. That's not fair.

I am the last person that will ever enforce "gender roles" or say that a man or woman as to be a "certain way". But if you look 100% female and dress 100% female you can't expect people to think you're a guy just by looking at you, and, they won't take it very seriously when you say you are one either. That is the general consensus. A female who dresses, acts, and looks entirely female but claims to be a male, in most people's minds, is just a poseur. And I am NOT saying that is what you are. I am just saying that is how people will perceive you. They think of it as a "phase" because your ACTION is not showing anything distinctly male. I am not telling you to change your manner, but I am telling you that this is how people will react to you as long as you are this way. So basically you just have to get used to it, especially from strangers. Though I still think you should stand up for pronouns with your friends. They might actually find it annoying because you present as female basically but want to be addressed as a male. They might be embarrassed calling you he because you appear to be a "she" to everyone because of how you dress/present yourself. I am NOT justifying their misgendering, I am just explaining why it may be difficult for them. So you have to push them harder if you want male pronouns. Enough said. You are asking for them to call someone who is visually female a male, and you don't even dress or present in a "male" fashion. It is not going to be easy for people to register this. This is why early in my transition, I went as butch as humanly possible. Then, after I was out for a couple years, I went more androgynous. It made early transition easier. Like I said, I am not telling you to do this, but it worked for me.

I'm not trying to invalidate you, either. I think you're reading a bit too deeply into this. I am the LAST person who would ever say a person has to follow gender roles. However, you are sending one message, and expecting people to read another. That is unreasonable.
You're very right at the first part of this. I'll try to correct them more often, but I also feel like they should GET IT already. Its been almost a year since I've told them and I correct them like once every two weeks with a major "guys, we need to talk sad " kind of thing. I think its more a problem of they first knew me as a girl person and now I'm asking them to recognize me as a male person and they just don't want to.

I'm thinking the majority of people who call me a girl are doing it because they're seeing my friends calling me a girl...just realized that.

You're right about strangers terming me a girl and how people who actually know me should respect that I want to be called by male pronouns. What you said really hit home. Gosh o.o so right.

If strangers clock me as female its fine when I'm dressed that way. I sort of expect to be termed female by strangers even when dressed as a guy because my face is very feminine. (Talking about irl). I've got all the facial features that many Korean girls would die to have and I'm like, "f*ck dammit".

But you're right about my friends should term me correctly if they care enough.

I'd write more but I think I have a fever. No joke. Going to lay down.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff