I'll be nice, I promise. 0.23186237845924 23.2% [ 310 ]
I'm back for now, we're all good right? 0.14210919970082 14.2% [ 190 ]
Wait... What are you doing with that knife? 0.48765893792072 48.8% [ 652 ]
Total Votes:[ 1337 ]

Seeker

Song of the Century
Matt Chase
hello friends, i am Matt, i'm 16 on the 12th, and i'm ftm

only one person knows about me, a friend of mine. i'm not sure how to come out or whether i should wait or what, i figure i'll figure it out

i just thought i'd Pop In and say i've been lurking this thread a lot and might post on it later or something if i have some kind of thing to say

thanks for being so present, everyone

Hey there Matt, and welcome. I'm Roy, also FtM, and also 16. I'm only out to a few friends and my mom.

I would say that coming out is a good idea, if you live in an accepting community. Try coming out to a few more close friends first, though, if you decide to; the support will probably be very useful, especially if everyone else is unaccepting. I'm too afraid to come out, but if I lived in a much less conservative area I would do it... and if my dad didn't let his anger get the better of him so often. How do you think your parents will react?

hello Roy, thanks for responding =D

realistically i think my dad would have a lot of trouble understanding, especially since neither of us are great on the 'serious conversation' front. eventually he would probably come to understand and accept it, but i don't know whether he would right away or whether he would see it for what it is - he might just misinterpret it and think i'm just a tomboy or whatever. if he doesn't understand but accepts my transition it would be fine, but there's so many 'what ifs' as to what his reaction will be. when my sister & i were kids he was fairly homophobic, but his views have changed on that, so even if he doesn't accept the idea of transgenderism now i think that if i were to tell him he'd get used to it after a while.

i really have no idea what my mother will think. if i told my dad and he kicked me out, i might have to go live with her. honestly though i don't think my dad would have a huge problem with it after he understood, if anyone would it'd be my mother and my grandmother (dad's mom), who is a big part of our life. she thinks she has six granddaughters and i think she is happy with having six granddaughters. she makes serious judgments about our lives though. for example my cousin is a hair stylist and she's very good at it and it's her dream or whatever but my grandma seems to think of that as just a phase she's going through, and i'm afraid that she's going to think i'm just going through a phase too.

honestly i don't have a lot of close friends that i trust, just a lot of acquaintances. and the one person who knows i don't think really understands, but he's the only person i'd really tell.

mainly i don't know how i'll explain it to them. sometimes i wish i was just gay, or that it was as socially understood as homosexuality so that they would have had more cultural exposure to it and i wouldn't have to do as much explaining and whatnot. if i could just go up and say, 'i'm transgendered, deal with that,' and not have to go through the whole what's-that-mean-exactly process i feel like it'd be a lot simpler for me.

there are a lot of MtFs in our community, and they get by all right, but i hear a lot of derogatory comments about them from the students at my school, even some of my more 'accepting' friends.

sorry for the length / if that didn't make much sense / if i sort of changed opinions, i'm just thinking through this.

Dapper Dabbler

Matt Chase
mainly i don't know how i'll explain it to them. sometimes i wish i was just gay, or that it was as socially understood as homosexuality so that they would have had more cultural exposure to it and i wouldn't have to do as much explaining and whatnot. if i could just go up and say, 'i'm transgendered, deal with that,' and not have to go through the whole what's-that-mean-exactly process i feel like it'd be a lot simpler for me.

Well, the explanation can be somewhat simple. "I want to be physically and socially male, because I'm severely uncomfortable and/or depressed with being female, and it has nothing to do with society/etc."

Quote:
there are a lot of MtFs in our community, and they get by all right, but i hear a lot of derogatory comments about them from the students at my school, even some of my more 'accepting' friends.

Well, I suppose it would depend on your view of your community, whether or not you're willing to risk it. It's a lot to risk, but a lot to gain.

Quote:
sorry for the length / if that didn't make much sense / if i sort of changed opinions, i'm just thinking through this.

Thinking it through is a good thing.

I know what you mean with phases, though. My parents thought Pokemon cards and video games were a phase for me eight years ago, and now I still love 'em. My mom thinks I'm questioning my sexuality (I'm bi), to which my dad made a homophobic comment (though I wasn't there for the conversation). My mom likewise thinks that being trans is a phase for me, and that my counseling is fixing it... nope. Over time, people will see that it's not a phase, especially once/if you start hormone replacement therapy/get surgery.

If you think you can get away with coming out at school/to friends and not telling your dad (if you don't want to risk it), then I would try it. But decide if you really want to do it or if you'd rather wait til you can live on your own.
I've been meaning to stop by here for a while now. I'm Cassidy (Or just Sid if you're lazy.) I'm nineteen and ftm. I currently live in a small town in Texas though I'm about to be moving closer to the Dallas area which I'm looking forward to even though it's under some circumstances I could of really lived without. >.>;

Seeker

Song of the Century
If you think you can get away with coming out at school/to friends and not telling your dad (if you don't want to risk it), then I would try it. But decide if you really want to do it or if you'd rather wait til you can live on your own.

thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

i'm not sure how to bring it up, either (if i decide to). when it comes to talking to my parents / any adults i tend to be dangerously non-confrontational at times

i loooove pokemon too... by the way

Dangerous Raider

Matt Chase
hello friends, i am Matt, i'm 16 on the 12th, and i'm ftm

only one person knows about me, a friend of mine. i'm not sure how to come out or whether i should wait or what, i figure i'll figure it out

i just thought i'd Pop In and say i've been lurking this thread a lot and might post on it later or something if i have some kind of thing to say

thanks for being so present, everyone

Hey there Matt. I'm Jon, also FTM. I'm 20, and I'm recently out to my parents but I'm pretty much all the way out at my university.
Coming out is always a fun, difficult time. But once you are out, its a great feeling.

Invisible Prophet

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
Imaginary Panic
I've been meaning to stop by here for a while now. I'm Cassidy (Or just Sid if you're lazy.) I'm nineteen and ftm. I currently live in a small town in Texas though I'm about to be moving closer to the Dallas area which I'm looking forward to even though it's under some circumstances I could of really lived without. >.>;

Hi hi! I'm Kirie one of the seemingly rare MtFs!

Dapper Dabbler

Imaginary Panic

Hey there Sid 4laugh

Matt Chase
thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

i'm not sure how to bring it up, either (if i decide to). when it comes to talking to my parents / any adults i tend to be dangerously non-confrontational at times

i loooove pokemon too... by the way

You're welcome. And I know the non-confrontational thing, I'm the same with that; I texted my mom while I was at school, and even then I was tired and somewhat out of it, which is the only way I had the courage to do so. But good luck with coming out, whenever you decide to go through with it~

Pokemon are awesome.
Crimsonkirie
Imaginary Panic

Hi hi! I'm Kirie one of the seemingly rare MtFs!

Hey Kirie :3 It's nice to meet you. One of my best online friends is MtF she's amazing.

'Song of the Century'
Hey there Sid

Hello. :3
Imaginary Panic

Welcome, Sid c:. You can call me Cassy, though my name is Colette. I'm also one of those rare MtFs that lurks behind the shadows. >3< Never hesitate to ask questions or ask for help. There's plenty to be given. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dangerous Raider

Imaginary Panic

Welcome! I'm Jon, and one of the FTMs here. I used to live in Texas before I moved out east for university.

Seeker

Does anyone who's on testosterone or estrogen know whether the HRT affects your ability to sing?

I know it's a little silly, but that's one of the few things that would make me wary of going on T, that i wouldn't be able to sing anymore. I know that with t, voices get lower, but does the tone or anything change to the point where you can't sing?

Just something i've been kind of curious about

Dapper Dabbler

Matt Chase
Does anyone who's on testosterone or estrogen know whether the HRT affects your ability to sing?

I know it's a little silly, but that's one of the few things that would make me wary of going on T, that i wouldn't be able to sing anymore. I know that with t, voices get lower, but does the tone or anything change to the point where you can't sing?

I'm not on it, but you can still sing on it. You'll have to adjust to your new voice, but it shouldn't ruin your ability. Lucas Silveira of The Cliks isn't on T because he likes his singing voice too much.

The one musician I can think of is Alexander Adams, who used to be Heather (Names might be wrong, but I think that's it.). He has some vids on YouTube if you're interested.

Estrogen makes no effect on an MtF's voice, by the way. They need to go through vocal training or something.

Seeker

Song of the Century
Matt Chase

I'm not on it, but you can still sing on it. You'll have to adjust to your new voice, but it shouldn't ruin your ability. Lucas Silveira of The Cliks isn't on T because he likes his singing voice too much.

The one musician I can think of is Alexander Adams, who used to be Heather (Names might be wrong, but I think that's it.). He has some vids on YouTube if you're interested.

Estrogen makes no effect on an MtF's voice, by the way. They need to go through vocal training or something.

Thanks - i'll look them up.

And didn't know that, learn something new every day.

Dapper Fatcat

6,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Gender Swap 100
I am legit the stupidest transguy ever neutral
I tried shaving below my nose and the razor stuck on my skin and pulled it.
Now I have a cut on my lip.
I look stupid.
And tomorrow is my first day of high school.
Ughh.
    Try to play it off as something else?
    Like...
    - a fight?
    - a cat scratch?
    - Falling on rocks?
    - Walked into a tree branch?

I could probably come up with a few more later....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff