Shadowy Rogue

2,200 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Gigi1458
Tuah
Gigi1458
I have ADHD and also twitch a ton. My shoulders jerk and my head. I'm not sure if it's tourettes or not though. I thought it had to do with my medicine I was taking for my ADHD but I've been off it for months. I don't mind it, I'm just always worried I'm going to hit someone in the face when I jerck one of my arms. sweatdrop

How does it feel when you do it? Is it fully automatic, or like a compulsion? Can you resist it, and if so how does that feel?

I get agitated if I don't twitch. It's automatic for the most part I think. I can tell when I'm doing it though but I think I'm just used to doing it so much. I can resist it but I usually just twich more when I do eventually do it. It annoys me that I twitch worse driving though.

Yeah, sounds like Tourette's. It's not totally involuntary, just a super-strong compulsion, and can happen on auto-pilot if you're not paying enough attention.

Stress often perpetuates tics, and avoiding tics perpetuate stress. As I believe I've mentioned, relaxing and letting go of the stress is the key to diminishing tics.

Moonlight Lover

13,200 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
Tuah
Gigi1458
Tuah
Gigi1458
I have ADHD and also twitch a ton. My shoulders jerk and my head. I'm not sure if it's tourettes or not though. I thought it had to do with my medicine I was taking for my ADHD but I've been off it for months. I don't mind it, I'm just always worried I'm going to hit someone in the face when I jerck one of my arms. sweatdrop

How does it feel when you do it? Is it fully automatic, or like a compulsion? Can you resist it, and if so how does that feel?

I get agitated if I don't twitch. It's automatic for the most part I think. I can tell when I'm doing it though but I think I'm just used to doing it so much. I can resist it but I usually just twich more when I do eventually do it. It annoys me that I twitch worse driving though.

Yeah, sounds like Tourette's. It's not totally involuntary, just a super-strong compulsion, and can happen on auto-pilot if you're not paying enough attention.

Stress often perpetuates tics, and avoiding tics perpetuate stress. As I believe I've mentioned, relaxing and letting go of the stress is the key to diminishing tics.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Apparently I twitch at night too when sleeping. I never realized that before until sleeping with my ex. Mhm if I don't twich it feels weird. I stress about a lot of things so it's easier said than done. Driving is the worst though. I hate dealing with people who don't know how to drive.
I know a guy who has it, he's ******** hilarious when he's high. Other than that he pretty much just makes everyone uncomfortable.

Invisible Bloodsucker

Waking Buddha

When I was around ten years old I began to twitch my nose. I scrunch it up and this has caused a slight crease on my nose like a folded and then unfolded piece of paper. Sometimes after 'twitching' my nose I then feel the need to try to 'stretch' it out by using different muscles of my face to make it feel 'normal' again.

I almost can't help but to twitch my nose. With some effort I can resist the urge. When somebody draws attention to it I feel a stronger urge to do it.

I do exactly the same. I never got diagnosed for anything but who knows maybe I have it or maybe I do not.

Shadowy Rogue

2,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
the vague soul
Waking Buddha

When I was around ten years old I began to twitch my nose. I scrunch it up and this has caused a slight crease on my nose like a folded and then unfolded piece of paper. Sometimes after 'twitching' my nose I then feel the need to try to 'stretch' it out by using different muscles of my face to make it feel 'normal' again.

I almost can't help but to twitch my nose. With some effort I can resist the urge. When somebody draws attention to it I feel a stronger urge to do it.

I do exactly the same. I never got diagnosed for anything but who knows maybe I have it or maybe I do not.

Dayum, this is way more common than I imagined. xd

I suppose I should point out that there is also another name for essentially the same condition; Motor Tic Syndrome. For it to be Tourette's there has to be one vocal tic of any kind; mine is this weird reverse-squeeking noise in my throat, and it's reeeeally unusual that it ever comes around.

Really though, I'd just save the extra syllables and call it Tourette's.

Anxious Conversationalist

I was once riding a bus with a friend and there was a woman sitting a little in front of us who kept screaming "GOD!" and more things, and we could tell she had some kind of a mental condition. She also talked on her cell-phone and couldn't stop her tics. It was making the whole bus really uncomfortable because people didn't understand what was going on.
Then a woman who was with her explained that she can't help it and that she has Tourette's.
It was an uncomfortable experience for me, and I felt really bad for her. It must be really tough going through life with vocal tics.
I think I might have it, between a light to mild type, I suppose.

Shadowy Rogue

2,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Nami Juice
I was once riding a bus with a friend and there was a woman sitting a little in front of us who kept screaming "GOD!" and more things, and we could tell she had some kind of a mental condition. She also talked on her cell-phone and couldn't stop her tics. It was making the whole bus really uncomfortable because people didn't understand what was going on.
Then a woman who was with her explained that she can't help it and that she has Tourette's.
It was an uncomfortable experience for me, and I felt really bad for her. It must be really tough going through life with vocal tics.

Sooo glad I don't have any 'real' vocal tics. I'd hate to be thought of as having some kind of mental illness or something.

A lot of times people don't realize how folks have to carry burdens like with them 24/7.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games