Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Does the blood from yer enemy that stains yer clothin' count?

Fashionable Shopper

Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
all my red clothes got taken away
o -o

hows it gonna help anyways
like I just dont get what its for

theres a guy livin 3 doors away from me who I think has heart disease or some such heart problem
does he get a different day

Im jus confused man
this s**t don add up

Oh, oh, how can you be good enough?
User Image

It is to raise awareness for heart disease in women.

User Image
How can you measure up?

kay
why do women get special attention in that area
o -o

does it not kill guys or somethin

User Image

Most of the research in heart disease is directed at men because it is seen as an old man's disease. But this is not the case so it is nice for the American Heart Association to have created an awareness day for it. Since the first awareness day the number of women with heart disease has dropped.

User Image
How can you measure up?

so what about mens heart disease
like do they deserve to die more cause the thing was directed at the in the first place
is it like 1 in 1 out sorta thing

User Image

Of course they don't deserve to get to die from it. There is an awareness day for it for women because there is not much awareness for it in women but there is for men. A lot of the heart commercials are also directed toward old men. So the AHA wanted to create a day for just spreading awareness in women since there is virtually none nor is there much research for it in women. Its not a 1 in 1 sort of thing because there is already isn't and hasn't been. I did not create the day. I just support the day since I am a young woman with a heart problem since birth.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Fashionable Shopper

Salmenella
No I won't be wearing red. I think wearing a specific color is just as pointless as posting where you left your purse on facebook as awareness. The only person that will know is you. I prefer to educate than to do something that won't help just so I get the warm and fuzzies that no one else will understand.

User Image

I use it as a conversation starter really as opposed to just simply wearing red. I learned a lot more than I knew simply from posting this thread. I didn't know the reason the day was created or that a heart attack manifests differently in women prior to creating thread. I wouldn't have made the thread or thought to if there were no awareness day. No, simply just wearing the color doesn't do anything. You have to talk about it too. That was the entire point of my thread in the first place. To see who knew about it, if anyone did and what they knew simply by asking who was wearing red that day.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

LilPinkCandy
Salmenella
No I won't be wearing red. I think wearing a specific color is just as pointless as posting where you left your purse on facebook as awareness. The only person that will know is you. I prefer to educate than to do something that won't help just so I get the warm and fuzzies that no one else will understand.

User Image

I use it as a conversation starter really as opposed to just simply wearing red. I learned a lot more than I knew simply from posting this thread. I didn't know the reason the day was created or that a heart attack manifests differently in women prior to creating thread. I wouldn't have made the thread or thought to if there were no awareness day. No, simply just wearing the color doesn't do anything. You have to talk about it too. That was the entire point of my thread in the first place. To see who knew about it, if anyone did and what they knew simply by asking who was wearing red that day.

User Image
How can you measure up?

I have no problem with your thread because as you said, it created a discussion and educated people. Wearing red out in the real world really doesn't. People just think you're wearing red.

Dangerous Regular

Wearing a color does nothing for awareness. If you don't go around telling people that you chose to wear such an awful color because it's something-or-other day, then they're just going to assume you have no fashion sense.

Hilarious Prophet

Heart disease is heart disease, the fact that women have it doesn't make it special.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
all my red clothes got taken away
o -o

hows it gonna help anyways
like I just dont get what its for

theres a guy livin 3 doors away from me who I think has heart disease or some such heart problem
does he get a different day

Im jus confused man
this s**t don add up

User Image

It is to raise awareness for heart disease in women.

User Image
How can you measure up?

kay
o -o

User Image

Most of the research in heart disease is directed at men because it is seen as an old man's disease. But this is not the case so it is nice for the American Heart Association to have created an awareness day for it. Since the first awareness day the number of women with heart disease has dropped.

User Image
How can you measure up?

like do they deserve to die more cause the thing was directed at the in the first place

User Image

Of course they don't deserve to get to die from it. There is an awareness day for it for women because there is not much awareness for it in women but there is for men. A lot of the heart commercials are also directed toward old men. So the AHA wanted to create a day for just spreading awareness in women since there is virtually none nor is there much research for it in women. Its not a 1 in 1 sort of thing because there is already isn't and hasn't been. I did not create the day. I just support the day since I am a young woman with a heart problem since birth.

User Image
How can you measure up?

yeabut what I dont get is why cant you just be aware of heart disease
like whys women get special attention

Fashionable Genius

HBIC of the LD
"Wear color" days are just as retarded as changing your facebook pic for awareness. If you genuinely want to pretend to be relevant, donate fifty bucks and move on with your day.

^This.

Fashionable Shopper

Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus

kay
o -o

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

User Image

The signs are different, the research is almost nothing compared to men's research and medical commercials always show men in them. This is why there is awareness day for women and not men. Its seen as a men's disease but a lot of women also die of it. There should be an awareness for women in order to spread the word that more needs to be done in terms of research, awareness and education for women's heart disease. You just don't become aware of what you don't just think about like, "oh i'll just become aware of women's heart disease now".

User Image
How can you measure up?

Fashionable Shopper

Jacque De Molay
Heart disease is heart disease, the fact that women have it doesn't make it special.

User Image

Of course its not special. What makes it worthy of awareness is because not enough separate research is done for women. It doesn't affect women the same way it does men. Even I just learned this from this awareness day.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus

kay
o -o

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

User Image

The signs are different, the research is almost nothing compared to men's research and medical commercials always show men in them. This is why there is awareness day for women and not men. Its seen as a men's disease but a lot of women also die of it. There should be an awareness for women in order to spread the word that more needs to be done in terms of research, awareness and education for women's heart disease. You just don't become aware of what you don't just think about like, "oh i'll just become aware of women's heart disease now".

User Image
How can you measure up?

all Im sayin is

I aint never heard of no mens heart disease thing
but Ive heard of this

dont seem fair to me

Fashionable Shopper

Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

all Im sayin is

but Ive heard of this

dont seem fair to me

User Image

Its fair because there is plenty of awareness already for men. They may not have a day for it but the research is is done for them as well as many many ads generated for heart medication are directed at men. This is what makes it fair. People decided to have a day for women so they could know more about heart disease in women specifically.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

all Im sayin is

but Ive heard of this

dont seem fair to me

User Image

Its fair because there is plenty of awareness already for men. They may not have a day for it but the research is is done for them as well as many many ads generated for heart medication are directed at men. This is what makes it fair. People decided to have a day for women so they could know more about heart disease in women specifically.

User Image
How can you measure up?

who told you this
I mean itd be pretty stupid not to do research on people an just focus on men
an like in what way is the meds focused at men

do the meds not work on women or somethin

like I still aint ever heard of nothin to do with just mens heart disease
but theres this with a whole day

I cant say as I agree that its fair

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Burning Bonus
who told you this

They have been doing medical research about heart problems for over fifty years. The problem is, it was not until the '80s that doctors realized that heart disease and attacks manifest much differently in women than they do in men.

While doing medical research in the past, doctors have always studied men, and have always done polls and questionaires on men, and have always enrolled men in clinical trials. The female body was considered too "finicky" and chaotic to be able to answer any solid questions on how the body works.

This is why for a very long time, women were misdiagnosed when they really had heart disease. When they had heart attacks, they were misdiagnosed, because all the information doctors had pertained to men, they just assumed that's how it worked in women, as well. No one thought to actually run some tests to prove it.

Hence, you have awareness of heart disease in women. Even today, all of our cultural messages about heart attacks still only apply to men. The clutching of the chest, the pain down the left arm...that's how a heart attack manifests in men; not in women. So if a woman is having a heart attack, a layperson won't actually be aware of what's going on, and the woman might not even realize that she's having a heart attack.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
who told you this

They have been doing medical research about heart problems for over fifty years. The problem is, it was not until the '80s that doctors realized that heart disease and attacks manifest much differently in women than they do in men.

While doing medical research in the past, doctors have always studied men, and have always done polls and questionaires on men, and have always enrolled men in clinical trials. The female body was considered too "finicky" and chaotic to be able to answer any solid questions on how the body works.

This is why for a very long time, women were misdiagnosed when they really had heart disease. When they had heart attacks, they were misdiagnosed, because all the information doctors had pertained to men, they just assumed that's how it worked in women, as well. No one thought to actually run some tests to prove it.

Hence, you have awareness of heart disease in women. Even today, all of our cultural messages about heart attacks still only apply to men. The clutching of the chest, the pain down the left arm...that's how a heart attack manifests in men; not in women. So if a woman is having a heart attack, a layperson won't actually be aware of what's going on, and the woman might not even realize that she's having a heart attack.
how do you know this though
cause I aint never heard of no mens heart disease nothin

Ive heard of heart disease
an now ive heard of womens heart disease

aint seem very fair to me

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items