Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pink Plaid
MegaTurkey
Pink Plaid
My pants are pink. Is that close enough?

OH WAIT. I GOT RED PANTIES ON.

That's fine if you're flashing your knickers all the time or if you're a superhero.
I take my pants off every chance I get. ******** I don't even know why I'm wearing pants right now. I put them on to do errands but forgot to take them off.

Because it's gloriously liberating I take it? Don't let society define you. If you want to do errands in nothing but your undies, by all means, go for it.

Greedy Receiver

• Oh! I didn't realize. Good thing I actually have something red to wear offline and online. My son's already wearing a red shirt without me even realizing, haha.

Capitalist

LilPinkCandy
HBIC of the LD
LilPinkCandy

If people were "aware" we could have genetically weeded out heart disease by now.
But keep that red shirt on if it makes you feel better about doing nothing.

Oh, oh, how can you be good enough?
User Image

Actually since I am home I am wearing a red pair of sweatpants and a red robe, lol. Anyway I do not mean awareness in just finding a cure and weeding it out. I am talking about awareness in the sense of more women paying attention to their health so that they do not develop the disease. You may think that what this is doesn't matter but it matters greatly to those of us already affected by it as I have been since I was born.

User Image
How can you measure up?

i would ignore her.

she's stupid enough to think heart disease is a genetic disorder.

Capitalist

LilPinkCandy
the Nymph intent adores
why is this exclusive to women?

User Image

Because one year the AHA found out about the deaths of 500,000 women. They wanted awareness so that more women pay attention to their health so they can not develop heart disease.

User Image
How can you measure up?

yeah but even more men die a year from the same reason. surely awareness for both sexes would be better?

Invisible Bloodsucker

Are you wearing red today?
No. Maybe I will change it very soon.

Did you know that today is national wear red for women's heart disease day?
Nope.

Do you know anyone with heart disease?
Yes. A friend of mine.

Fashionable Shopper

the Nymph intent adores
LilPinkCandy
the Nymph intent adores
why is this exclusive to women?

User Image

Because one year the AHA found out about the deaths of 500,000 women. They wanted awareness so that more women pay attention to their health so they can not develop heart disease.

User Image
How can you measure up?

yeah but even more men die a year from the same reason. surely awareness for both sexes would be better?

User Image

The campaign spawned from a challenge...

User Image
How can you measure up?

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
Why just women? Heart disease affects both genders. Is there a mens heart disease day? What colour do they pick for that? Is it red? Why would you need two days? I don't get the point of picking a day of the year and calling it national whatever day, unless they're doing a huge event to raise money all over the country on the same day so they picked it as national whatever day. If they did that I could see two or two days a year, that's more fund raising on a large scale. Are they doing that? Are they making posters, setting up events to raise money, such as a walking-a-thon? Are they teaching people about eating right and getting enough exercise?

Why do they call it a heart disease? What we generally think of as heart disease it's just poor nutrition and exercise, which of course is going to negatively affect the heart. Unless it's a heart condition which really isn't heart disease, but rather a something a person was born with. I'm sure there are plenty of disease that primarily effect the heart but I can't think of any common enough to be a worry in North America.

I don't see the point of telling people to wear a certain colour to support something. It's dumb, no one is going to go, "Oh my your wearing a red shirt is it heart disease day already?" They're just going to ignore it. Now wearing a certain colour and setting up a booth at the mall or something to collect donations and hand out pamphlets about eating well, exercising, and making regular visits with your doctor, that's using a colour to cause awareness the same way companies have uniforms.

This time of year would have been perfect for that. With New Years resolutions and all that. Could have seen about working with gyms to give a special deal to people who sign up through the Heart and Stroke Foundation. And then holding another event come spring, handing out seeds for vegetables and information about the food guide. Talking to students, not going like, "smoking is bad you shouldn't do it, junk food is bad you shouldn't eat it or you'll die." But getting them interested in growing vegetables and playing outside.

Huh, I just remembered that tomorrow it will one year since my grandpa died. He had a massive heart attack and several smaller ones and they think he might have had a stroke as well but there was too much damage from the heart attacks to tell unless they took him off everything. One year ago today we drove the four hours to see him in the hospital, the first time I've seen him in 13 years because of a family rift. We spent about four hours with him and my family. He was 87.

I think I'm going to go play cards, he taught me to play rummy, and maybe cry a little.

Friendly Citizen

Regardless of gender issue, Thank you for sharing this with us. You've
raised awareness in me and many others here.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
the Nymph intent adores
I think the argument to that is that research around heart disease has always been about men. It was only in the late '70s/early '80s that researchers figured out that symptoms of heart attacks and heart disease manifest differently in women then they do men, which was causing a lot of women to be misdiagnosed and for heart attacks to be thought of as some other ailment. The whole point of campaigns like this is to raise awareness of heart disease in women specifically, because it turns out the proportion of men versus women with heart disease is a lot smaller than we previously thought.

On the other hand, I'm also ambivalent about campaigns like this. In particular, the red dresses/red shoes/other red crap for heart disease in women, and all of the pink bullshit for breast cancer. The organizations behind these campaigns (like Komen) have developed a reputation for their shady activities. In particular, Komen flat out refusing to fund studies and research into preventative measures for breast cancer, and instead only funding research that goes into treating the breast cancer.

/rant over.

Fashionable Shopper

Feminist Barbie
Why just women? Heart disease affects both genders.

Because the studies done for heart disease were not specific to the women's gender. It was just assumed that research of heart disease in men were good enough for women. I do not have a source for this though. I will have to find one later.

Feminist Barbie
Is there a mens heart disease day? What colour do they pick for that? Is it red? Why would you need two days?

I do not know. Probably not because there has been much research done with heart disease in men.

Feminist Barbie
I don't get the point of picking a day of the year and calling it national whatever day, unless they're doing a huge event to raise money all over the country on the same day so they picked it as national whatever day. If they did that I could see two or two days a year, that's more fund raising on a large scale. Are they doing that? Are they making posters, setting up events to raise money, such as a walking-a-thon? Are they teaching people about eating right and getting enough exercise?

There is a Heart Walk here in my city in October and in the summer there is a camp for children with heart disease as well as a heart picnic. I don't really see posters but one year I did see them sell computer mice which I bought one.

Feminist Barbie
Why do they call it a heart disease? What we generally think of as heart disease it's just poor nutrition and exercise, which of course is going to negatively affect the heart. Unless it's a heart condition which really isn't heart disease, but rather a something a person was born with. I'm sure there are plenty of disease that primarily effect the heart but I can't think of any common enough to be a worry in North America.

I do not know why they call it heart disease. However, I think that the campaign is a great thing.

Feminist Barbie
I don't see the point of telling people to wear a certain colour to support something. It's dumb, no one is going to go, "Oh my your wearing a red shirt is it heart disease day already?" They're just going to ignore it. Now wearing a certain colour and setting up a booth at the mall or something to collect donations and hand out pamphlets about eating well, exercising, and making regular visits with your doctor, that's using a colour to cause awareness the same way companies have uniforms.

Actually Go Red is supposed to wear a red dress but I do not have one, lol. I don't know if they hand out stuff or not. I'm not staff and I'm not sure where you would do that. It would be great if they would do that at schools and colleges that keep trying to promote health.

Feminist Barbie
This time of year would have been perfect for that. With New Years resolutions and all that. Could have seen about working with gyms to give a special deal to people who sign up through the Heart and Stroke Foundation. And then holding another event come spring, handing out seeds for vegetables and information about the food guide. Talking to students, not going like, "smoking is bad you shouldn't do it, junk food is bad you shouldn't eat it or you'll die." But getting them interested in growing vegetables and playing outside.

That reminds me an episode of Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine. He got a special request from Michelle Obama to tackle this children's center. The place needed more space, better food, etc. They planted a garden for the kids and set up some bike thing that waters the garden when you peddle. It was a neat episode.

Feminist Barbie
Huh, I just remembered that tomorrow it will one year since my grandpa died. He had a massive heart attack and several smaller ones and they think he might have had a stroke as well but there was too much damage from the heart attacks to tell unless they took him off everything. One year ago today we drove the four hours to see him in the hospital, the first time I've seen him in 13 years because of a family rift. We spent about four hours with him and my family. He was 87.

I think I'm going to go play cards, he taught me to play rummy, and maybe cry a little.

Yeah this Christmas was the first Christmas without my grandmother. She loved tea and cards and gossiping. She had a massive heart attack and they had to take her off everything because she wasn't getting any better.

Fashionable Shopper

Robot Giny
the Nymph intent adores
I think the argument to that is that research around heart disease has always been about men. It was only in the late '70s/early '80s that researchers figured out that symptoms of heart attacks and heart disease manifest differently in women then they do men, which was causing a lot of women to be misdiagnosed and for heart attacks to be thought of as some other ailment. The whole point of campaigns like this is to raise awareness of heart disease in women specifically, because it turns out the proportion of men versus women with heart disease is a lot smaller than we previously thought.

On the other hand, I'm also ambivalent about campaigns like this. In particular, the red dresses/red shoes/other red crap for heart disease in women, and all of the pink bullshit for breast cancer. The organizations behind these campaigns (like Komen) have developed a reputation for their shady activities. In particular, Komen flat out refusing to fund studies and research into preventative measures for breast cancer, and instead only funding research that goes into treating the breast cancer.

/rant over.

User Image

Thank you. I did not know any of that.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Tipsy Citizen

9,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100

Nope I'm not wearing anything red today. I don’t think I know anyone with heart disease and I didn’t know it was national wear red for women's heart disease day. Yes I think supporting organizations is good but wearing the color red or pink purple whatever isn't supporting anyone and I never participated in wear "this color" today but that's just my personal choice.

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
LilPinkCandy

Because the studies done for heart disease were not specific to the women's gender. It was just assumed that research of heart disease in men were good enough for women. I do not have a source for this though. I will have to find one later.

That's interesting.

LilPinkCandy
I do not know. Probably not because there has been much research done with heart disease in men.

That's too bad men can also that poor care of themselves. They should have a men's day as well.

LilPinkCandy
There is a Heart Walk here in my city in October and in the summer there is a camp for children with heart disease as well as a heart picnic. I don't really see posters but one year I did see them sell computer mice which I bought one.

February is Heart and Stroke month here, I think I saw a poster for something at the college but I forget what it was about. There's a walk thing, not something to raise money but to just get people to take a walk outside. And the college does a fitness challenge every winter semester as a health and fitness thing.

LilPinkCandy
I do not know why they call it heart disease. However, I think that the campaign is a great thing.

Yes it is, too many people eat too much that's bad for them and don't get enough exercise and then wonder why they're having heart attacks and stuff.

LilPinkCandy
Actually Go Red is supposed to wear a red dress but I do not have one, lol. I don't know if they hand out stuff or not. I'm not staff and I'm not sure where you would do that. It would be great if they would do that at schools and colleges that keep trying to promote health.

Definitely. A major problem with more of charities out there is that one, the people in charge don't give as much as they should from what they collect, like the Terry Fox Foundation, or have hidden things like they'll only help people that convert their their religion was one I heard about some of those save the African children charities. Another one is that they don't really seem to do much in the way of fund raising or promoting. If they want to change how people eat and live their lives so that they'll be healthier and less likely to develop heart disease or have a stroke, they should step up their game.

LilPinkCandy
That reminds me an episode of Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine. He got a special request from Michelle Obama to tackle this children's center. The place needed more space, better food, etc. They planted a garden for the kids and set up some bike thing that waters the garden when you peddle. It was a neat episode.

I love those sort of things. It's something that could really make a difference in those children's lives.

LilPinkCandy
Yeah this Christmas was the first Christmas without my grandmother. She loved tea and cards and gossiping. She had a massive heart attack and they had to take her off everything because she wasn't getting any better.

Isn't that the worst thing to hear. They could keep them on everything and pretty much just prolong the way they are now or take them off and see if they live or die. That's just the worst choice for a family to have to make.

Familiar Fatcat

User Image
unrelated note

Is that something that happens in the US or someplace?
    Never heard of that before. But it seems nice.

Hygienic Member

I don't wear red because I look stupid,

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas