Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Receiver

The only person I know with heart disease is a man.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
who told you this
I mean itd be pretty stupid not to do research on people an just focus on men
an like in what way is the meds focused at men

do the meds not work on women or somethin

like I still aint ever heard of nothin to do with just mens heart disease
but theres this with a whole day

I cant say as I agree that its fair
They have been doing medical research about heart problems for over fifty years. The problem is, it was not until the '80s that doctors realized that heart disease and attacks manifest much differently in women than they do in men.

While doing medical research in the past, doctors have always studied men, and have always done polls and questionaires on men, and have always enrolled men in clinical trials. The female body was considered too "finicky" and chaotic to be able to answer any solid questions on how the body works.

This is why for a very long time, women were misdiagnosed when they really had heart disease. When they had heart attacks, they were misdiagnosed, because all the information doctors had pertained to men, they just assumed that's how it worked in women, as well. No one thought to actually run some tests to prove it.

Hence, you have awareness of heart disease in women. Even today, all of our cultural messages about heart attacks still only apply to men. The clutching of the chest, the pain down the left arm...that's how a heart attack manifests in men; not in women. So if a woman is having a heart attack, a layperson won't actually be aware of what's going on, and the woman might not even realize that she's having a heart attack.
how do you know this though
cause I aint never heard of no mens heart disease nothin

Ive heard of heart disease
an now ive heard of womens heart disease

aint seem very fair to me
You're missing the point. Heart disease is the same in men and women; what is different are the symptoms that doctors use to diagnose it. And though doctors now understand those differences, it's still not understood in our society. Hence the awareness days, which is really just to let people know, "Hey, did you know that women have different symptoms of heart disease than men do?" This gives people more knowledge, and can allow folks to get themselves to the doctor if they are seeing those symptoms.

If a woman isn't aware of this, she can wait years to go to the doctor, because she's waiting for the symptoms that typically present themselves in men. (Which is our cultural understanding of heart disease.) But if she is made aware of the differences, she can know what to look for.

The fact that most people don't know this demonstrates that these awareness campaigns are still necessary, and in fact probably need to step it up a notch.
kay I get that point
but why cant that be heart disease information
like why cant they give the mens an womens symptoms in the same thing

I just dont see as how it like excuses blowin off guys just cause women used to get blown off
ever heard of two wrongs dont make a right?
But in this case, men aren't being "blown off." They're not being excluded from the discussion at all, nor are they being excluded from research.

Most people think they already know the basics of heart disease, because the information is everywhere; commercials for medication, characters on TV shows and in movies being portrayed with the disease, PSA's...most people know at least the bare bones of what heart disease is.

Which is exactly the problem, because even now, commercials for medication for heart problems still feature primarily men. Female characters on TV shows and in movies don't suffer from heart disease like male characters do. It's incredibly hard to find a portrayal of a woman having a heart attack versus finding a man having a heart attack. Only the most recent PSA's make the distinction between heart disease in men and women.

So the awareness campaigns aren't just about education, they're about re-education. They're attempting to backpedal years and years of public education and try and get the attention of people who, frankly, aren't really paying attention because they think they know all they need to know. That's why they still need to exist, and why they're so "in your face" about it.
aint fair
if yer gonna have a whole day for one
have a day fer the other

or have a day for em both

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
all Im sayin is

I aint never heard of no mens heart disease thing
but Ive heard of this

dont seem fair to me

Oh, oh, how can you be good enough?
User Image

Its fair because there is plenty of awareness already for men. They may not have a day for it but the research is is done for them as well as many many ads generated for heart medication are directed at men. This is what makes it fair. People decided to have a day for women so they could know more about heart disease in women specifically.

User Image
How can you measure up?

who told you this
I mean itd be pretty stupid not to do research on people an just focus on men
an like in what way is the meds focused at men

do the meds not work on women or somethin

like I still aint ever heard of nothin to do with just mens heart disease
but theres this with a whole day

I cant say as I agree that its fair

User Image

Haven't you ever seen the commercials? They all focus on old men.

Here is the Go Red Movement: http://goredforwomen.org/wearredday/about/
New York Times
http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/specialtopic/heart-disease-and-women/overview.html
http://www.bidmc.org/CentersandDepartments/Departments/Medicine/Divisions/CardiovascularMedicine/YourHeartHealth/TipsforHeartHealth/HeartDiseaseDifferencesBetweenMenandWomen.aspx

User Image
How can you measure up?

I aint never seen em no

an I aint interested in no womens only nothin
I dont like the feelin of people tellin me Im better n someone else for what I was born with
an yea I know that aint what it says but it kinda comes off that way when theres a womens only thing cause theres this unspoken feel that guys aint worth the notice

I aint like it when half the people get pushed aside just cause it was that way once before
aint excuse it to me

User Image

No one is saying that women are better than men. What is being said is that there has been a lack of research for something that develops differently in women. When most people imagine a heart attack they imagine an old man clutching his chest. Most women and men do not know this. This is precisely why there is an awareness day.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Then there oughta be a day for men too
aint fair to have a whole day for one just cause the other got a lotta attention first
thats a childs way of seein things

Benevolent Smoker

Had to work, couldn't have worn red even if I wanted to. neutral

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus

You're missing the point. Heart disease is the same in men and women; what is different are the symptoms that doctors use to diagnose it. And though doctors now understand those differences, it's still not understood in our society. Hence the awareness days, which is really just to let people know, "Hey, did you know that women have different symptoms of heart disease than men do?" This gives people more knowledge, and can allow folks to get themselves to the doctor if they are seeing those symptoms.

If a woman isn't aware of this, she can wait years to go to the doctor, because she's waiting for the symptoms that typically present themselves in men. (Which is our cultural understanding of heart disease.) But if she is made aware of the differences, she can know what to look for.

The fact that most people don't know this demonstrates that these awareness campaigns are still necessary, and in fact probably need to step it up a notch.
kay I get that point

I just dont see as how it like excuses blowin off guys just cause women used to get blown off
But in this case, men aren't being "blown off." They're not being excluded from the discussion at all, nor are they being excluded from research.

Most people think they already know the basics of heart disease, because the information is everywhere; commercials for medication, characters on TV shows and in movies being portrayed with the disease, PSA's...most people know at least the bare bones of what heart disease is.

Which is exactly the problem, because even now, commercials for medication for heart problems still feature primarily men. Female characters on TV shows and in movies don't suffer from heart disease like male characters do. It's incredibly hard to find a portrayal of a woman having a heart attack versus finding a man having a heart attack. Only the most recent PSA's make the distinction between heart disease in men and women.

So the awareness campaigns aren't just about education, they're about re-education. They're attempting to backpedal years and years of public education and try and get the attention of people who, frankly, aren't really paying attention because they think they know all they need to know. That's why they still need to exist, and why they're so "in your face" about it.
aint fair
have a day fer the other

Did you not read my post at all? The awareness is about re-education. We already know what the symptoms of heart disease look like in men, and that knowledge is reiterated constantly. What isn't talked about is how it manifests in women, hence the day to raise awareness, aka re-education.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus

kay I get that point

aint fair
have a day fer the other

Did you not read my post at all? The awareness is about re-education. We already know what the symptoms of heart disease look like in men, and that knowledge is reiterated constantly. What isn't talked about is how it manifests in women, hence the day to raise awareness, aka re-education.
yea I read it
dont excuse it

cant be separatin sexes like that for NO reason
aint right an it aint fair
no matter what reason its for it aint fair

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Burning Bonus
yea I read it
dont excuse it

Who said for no reason? Like I said, there is a lack of education.

Say you're at a school, and there are three subjects taught - history, math, and science - and history and math are doing great, the teachers are well trained and the departments are thriving. But the math department is really struggling, maybe they don't have a lot of exposure or the teachers aren't very good. In order to improve the math department, do you have to give the same assistance to the history and science departments at the same time? No, because they don't need assistance. The math department does.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
yea I read it
dont excuse it

Say you're at a school, and there are three subjects taught - history, math, and science - and history and math are doing great, the teachers are well trained and the departments are thriving. But the math department is really struggling, maybe they don't have a lot of exposure or the teachers aren't very good. In order to improve the math department, do you have to give the same assistance to the history and science departments at the same time? No, because they don't need assistance. The math department does.
aint the same
this aint bout maths an science

this is about mens an womens health an lives
an it aint fair to just give women special attention if the thing affects men too, specially if it does it in a different way

aint excusable to me
s basically sexism

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
yea I read it
dont excuse it

aint the same

an it aint fair to just give women special attention if the thing affects men too, specially if it does it in a different way

aint excusable to me
s basically sexism
You're not looking at this in context.

Women are not getting "special attention." This is an educational campaign designed to rectify a knowledge gap in our culture that has to do with heart disease. All of the tropes and knowledge we have of heart disease - the pain down the left arm, the clutching of the chest (for heart attacks) - is all indicative of how men experience the condition. And since the vast majority of people don't go to med school, and most forget what they learned in health class less then five years after they are out of school, those tropes are an incredibly important way that society at large is educated about things.

Having an awareness day of heart disease in women - one day, mind you, out of 365 - is not stealing attention, research, or medical care from the millions of men that suffer from heart disease. It is simply trying to reframe how we think about it. Many people still think that it is mostly men that get heart attacks and that suffer from heart conditions, when that is simply not true. This is why the re-education is so important.

When heart disease stops being an "old man thing" and starts just being something that we don't associate with gender at all, then the awareness days won't be needed anymore.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
yea I read it
dont excuse it

aint the same

aint excusable to me
s basically sexism

Women are not getting "special attention." This is an educational campaign designed to rectify a knowledge gap in our culture that has to do with heart disease. All of the tropes and knowledge we have of heart disease - the pain down the left arm, the clutching of the chest (for heart attacks) - is all indicative of how men experience the condition. And since the vast majority of people don't go to med school, and most forget what they learned in health class less then five years after they are out of school, those tropes are an incredibly important way that society at large is educated about things.

Having an awareness day of heart disease in women - one day, mind you, out of 365 - is not stealing attention, research, or medical care from the millions of men that suffer from heart disease. It is simply trying to reframe how we think about it. Many people still think that it is mostly men that get heart attacks and that suffer from heart conditions, when that is simply not true. This is why the re-education is so important.

When heart disease stops being an "old man thing" and starts just being something that we don't associate with gender at all, then the awareness days won't be needed anymore.

if this keeps goin without no man counterpart, or without it becomin heart disease awareness, its gonna turn into an old woman thing in a generation or two

an then the whole process will have to flip into reverse
cept it wont cause ive noticed societys still pretty easy goin on anti man sexism an really aggravated on anti woman sexism

proably cause there aint no mens only groups goin around thats bein taken seriously

aint right
aint fair

I wont support it none till theres the same for men or till its a no gender thing

me ol mum used to say "fairness is the devil of the power struggle"
she were always bangin on about men bein ******** ups an evil an how they should all be ignored an such

kinda surprised she didnt manage to turn me to be like her
when it comes to national days that involve wearing a certain color, I think there's better ways of supporting a cause, like donating. Red is my favorite color, but sometimes I think it having to become a gimmick is the farthest people are willing to go.

Fashionable Shopper

Maroon Scarf
when it comes to national days that involve wearing a certain color, I think there's better ways of supporting a cause, like donating. Red is my favorite color, but sometimes I think it having to become a gimmick is the farthest people are willing to go.

User Image

You can donate if you want but money isn't the sole reason for the campaign. The campaign is about awareness and education.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
yea I read it
dont excuse it

aint the same

aint excusable to me
s basically sexism

if this keeps goin without no man counterpart, or without it becomin heart disease awareness, its gonna turn into an old woman thing in a generation or two

cept it wont cause ive noticed societys still pretty easy goin on anti man sexism an really aggravated on anti woman sexism

proably cause there aint no mens only groups goin around thats bein taken seriously

aint right
aint fair

I wont support it none till theres the same for men or till its a no gender thing

she were always bangin on about men bein ******** ups an evil an how they should all be ignored an such

It isn't gender biased over here. smile http://www.rockupinred.org.uk

What people (see above) fail to realise is that "heart disease" is an umbrella term that covers so many different conditions that have absolutely nothing to do with gender - OK, a woman's experience of myocardial infarction (a heart attack) can be subtly different (but isn't always and often does manifest with a crushing central chest pain as it does primarily in men) but looking at the examples of various heart diseases here that all happen to have manifested in women rather than men; bacterial pericarditis, mitral regurgitation, pulmonary vein stenosis and patent ductus arteriosus are all heart diseases that have no differences in pathophysiology between the genders. Spamming with the same rather poor "oh a heart attack is completely different in women than in men and because it is seen as an old mans disease there should be a fundraising and awareness day to level the playing field" is not only unethical but is fatally narrow-minded.

Burning Bonus don't listen to the bullshit being posted; you're right, it should benefit both genders as it does here in the UK. Public awareness and donations for both research and to help patients can be raised just as effectively and can touch many more people if the event isn't focused exclusively around a single gender.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
MegaTurkey
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
yea I read it
dont excuse it

aint the same

aint excusable to me
s basically sexism

aint right
aint fair

What people (see above) fail to realise is that "heart disease" is an umbrella term that covers so many different conditions that have absolutely nothing to do with gender - OK, a woman's experience of myocardial infarction (a heart attack) can be subtly different (but isn't always and often does manifest with a crushing central chest pain as it does primarily in men) but looking at the examples of various heart diseases here that all happen to have manifested in women rather than men; bacterial pericarditis, mitral regurgitation, pulmonary vein stenosis and patent ductus arteriosus are all heart diseases that have no differences in pathophysiology between the genders. Spamming with the same rather poor "oh a heart attack is completely different in women than in men and because it is seen as an old mans disease there should be a fundraising and awareness day to level the playing field" is not only unethical but is fatally narrow-minded.

Burning Bonus don't listen to the bullshit being posted; you're right, it should benefit both genders as it does here in the UK.
See all I was thinkin was that it aint fair to give one sex special attention no matter the reason

to be sayin like "Yea but men had special attention before so now everyone thinks its old mans disease an so people are gonna ignore women havin a heart attack cause it aint like it is for men" aint good enough to not have the same awareness days an stuff for men

cause eventually itll reverse on itself an people will be thinkin of it as an old womens thing an then men will need special attention an it will jus keep goin

like all I was tryna say is it aint right to give one group special focus for NO reason
gotta start fair or it aint gonna end fair
Burning Bonus
MegaTurkey
Burning Bonus
Robot Giny
Burning Bonus
aint the same

aint excusable to me
s basically sexism

aint right
aint fair

Burning Bonus don't listen to the bullshit being posted; you're right, it should benefit both genders as it does here in the UK.
See all I was thinkin was that it aint fair to give one sex special attention no matter the reason

to be sayin like "Yea but men had special attention before so now everyone thinks its old mans disease an so people are gonna ignore women havin a heart attack cause it aint like it is for men" aint good enough to not have the same awareness days an stuff for men

cause eventually itll reverse on itself an people will be thinkin of it as an old womens thing an then men will need special attention an it will jus keep goin

like all I was tryna say is it aint right to give one group special focus for NO reason
gotta start fair or it aint gonna end fair

But even more to the point, this shouldn't be in the discussion at all; the vast majority of heart disease doesn't differ between the genders (and in the case of MI, it isn't a vastly different disease in women or in men; central crushing chest pain still remains to be a primary symptom irrespective of gender - I can verify this having seen it time and time again myself whilst on clinical rotations on a cardiology ward). Ok it still wouldn't be ethical to have an exclusively women's MI awareness day but at the very least, I couldn't say the whole "oh but it's to raise awareness in the difference in disease between women and men" that is so severely narrow-minded as it is now, when considering heart disease as a whole.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff