Welcome to Gaia! ::

Does this sound stupid to you?

Yes it sounds really stupid. 0.4 40.0% [ 18 ]
No and I'll tell you why!!!!! 0.31111111111111 31.1% [ 14 ]
Undecided. 0.088888888888889 8.9% [ 4 ]
Crack whore(gold) 0.2 20.0% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 45 ]
1 2 3 >

And here's why. They only did tests on 823 teenage women. And now they expect us to believe just because one in four of those people had a STD that it for some odd reason means that one out of every four U.S.A. chick has an STD. There are literally millions of teenage girls out there and they expect me to believe this s**t because a little over 800 of them were tested. Is anybody elses head going ," WTF that just doesn't seem right"?

Discuss:
If this also sounds retarded to you.
If it doesn't seem retarded to you and why.
How the U.S. thinks were stupid enough to believe this bull s**t.

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
It's the 'OMG DUNT HAZ DAT SEX' thing that we get with so many fundies. Schools do it too, trying to scare kids into never having sex unless they marry a virgin kind of s**t. @w@

2,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
teens tend to be more reckless than adults (tend being the keyword) so they would need to take a bigger pool than that includeing old(er) women.
I think they are just trying to scare kids into not having sex, or having safer sex.
If you're stupid enough to believe this statistic, and it scares you into being safe, good.
Stupid people having sex=problems.

I don't believe it at all.

Ladykiller

User Image

I don't habeeb it.

I don't think I'll be having sex with teenage girls anytime soon, though. surprised User Image
It's all because they want to make money rolleyes
So it seems everybody already seems to understand that it's just fear based propaganda(sp?)
Abyssus _Puella

I'm sorry but I don't understand how they would make any money off of this. Or you're just being sarcastic and I'm being an idiot sweatdrop

Ladykiller

209 Soldier
So it seems everybody already seems to understand that it's just fear based propaganda(sp?)
User Image

Pretty much.

We know it's bullshit.

That doesn't mean that the other and probably stupider teens wont fall for it.

If it keeps them from having sex, good. I don't want stupid people getting pregnant.User Image
209 Soldier
Abyssus _Puella

I'm sorry but I don't understand how they would make any money off of this. Or you're just being sarcastic and I'm being an idiot sweatdrop

oh sorry, let me rephrases that, 'make more money' form people getting the shot
User Image

I usually never believe in almost all statistics. It's like they pull random numbers and words out of a hat and make up a "fact" :/ Like:

every second 23 people kill themselves.

Like, are you ******** serious? gonk

User Image
Abyssus _Puella
209 Soldier
Abyssus _Puella

oh sorry, let me rephrases that, 'make more money' form people getting the shot

The HPV shot?
Or the depo-shot?
steamboat milly
209 Soldier
User Image

Pretty much.

We know it's bullshit.

That doesn't mean that the other and probably stupider teens wont fall for it.

If it keeps them from having sex, good. I don't want stupid people getting pregnant.User Image

Yeah a lot of guys were saying "Hey did you hear on the news that one in four girls has an STD. I'm never doing it again without a condom" rolleyes
And a lot of girls now think a lot of other girls have an STD and are starting nasty rumors.
People can be really stupid.
...so you're just going to discount something like the majority of statistics, then? neutral

823 is a pretty respectable sample size. I /would/ like to see how they chose those 823 - whether it was a random sample or whether they tried to work out proportions of demographics and the like. If the 823 girls are, say, all from the same inner-city school, then yes - the study is junk. But if you're going to say "they just checked 823 girls, that doesn't mean they can say anything about the millions of others!" then you're discounting... pretty much all of population-based statistics, whether that's epidemiology or something like polls or whatever. No one is ever going to manage to check every single person, that's why statistics /exist/.

Myself, I'm more interested in how they define "STD". I think that may be where some of the problems are coming from.
I was going to post something similar to what Kazaera said, but she's basically summed it up. If this sample of teenage girls was random, or they were sure to test girls from many different backgrounds, regions, ethnicities, etc., then the conclusion they've come to is plausible. The data they collected with their study can be applied to the general population, with a very small margin of error.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff