Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Survivor

Raven Winter
I like this thread. I hope it gets all the replies.

Honestly, sometimes it's necessary. That's probably extremely rarely for people like you and I, though I admit I have had to do it to feed myself growing up, as well as combing places for lost change and forgotten leftovers (which I started doing again in college, actually, since I couldn't afford to buy lunch), although that doesn't really count as thievery. I wouldn't say my stealing food was good, but it was necessary, so I figure its ethical value was irrelevant at the time. I tried to mitigate the negative impact of my actions by stealing from entities that had a s**t ton of food to spare -- like, enough that they'd be unable to use it all before it expired -- because I'd rather not actually harm anyone with my thievery. I didn't steal from individuals. Never took anyone's wallet or anything. Just food.

I guess it follows me around, though, because even a decade after the last time I had to actually steal anything, people tend to see me and assume that I'm a thief, because of the way I dress.

I almost feel like my boyfriend still feels the want to steal simply BECAUSE people assume he's a thief because of the way he dresses and looks.

I don't blame him. It's completely racist to think someone is a thief simply because they're a black male that wears all black.
idk, if you have to steal to feed yourself i'm pretty sure it's because you're not looking for other options and that doesn't sound very clever.

there was a time when my family couldn't afford to buy enough food. i've never had to steal food tho. my family was really great at getting free food. we would go to a ton of restaurants and ask if they had any day old food they didn't want, and we usually got a lot of free food that way. a lot of pastries, bread and salads. altho sometimes we would get sausages, cheese and other things.

not to mention people hold free lunches or pot lucks where home made dishes are brought by most people attending. so much good food, and if you go to a meeting or club sometimes they'll be serving something to eat.

altho if that never worked out, there is a place here that feeds people under 21 for free.
Thievery is okay when you do it, your government does it, or when one of your ally governments do it.

Brought to you by the true morality of humanity, not the phony kind that they profess to have.

Witty Conversationalist

Abyss Jikun Hu
Thievery is only bad because I am told it is bad.

No, seriously. I don't really have issues with stealing within and of itself, I just hate it when you steal from ME. I also do not mind stealing from you or anyone you know. I will condone you stealing for yourself as long as it does not affect me.

The issue is, I am pretty sure that's mostly how the world sees it, at its core and then you get intersecting interests of who can steal from who then all of a sudden it becomes a chaotic mess of "stealing is wrong."

I hate thinking about if it's right or wrong, I'd rather just do it.

This.

Destitute Smoker

3,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Wall Street 200
Chicken Zombie
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
Why would your 300 lbs neighbor be a deciding factor? Oh, he is well off, so ******** him? Yaaaaa-no. Equality isn't stealing from others just because they have more than you.
no but it's justice.

No, it isn't.
yes it is. clearly the tall guy doesn't need it, so if the kid were to steal it from him, it wouldn't matter bc he can still see, and now the kid can too.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
violette lumineux
My boyfriend actually used to be a thief, but apparently honest thieves have a code?

From what he told me, they only steal from large corporations [Apparently Walmart even factors in a certain amount of lost and stolen items into their stock and budget], and they only steal what is needed.

So basically, he really only stole food, because he didn't have money to get said food. And it was never from an individual, but instead from a store with many chains.

I mean, I wouldn't do it myself, but I don't really see anything wrong with this.

May I enquire what is preventing your boyfriend from applying for food stamps? However minimal the damage he does is, those stores are still losing money. And if a store if losing money, it eventually affects the employees.

violette lumineux
I almost feel like my boyfriend still feels the want to steal simply BECAUSE people assume he's a thief because of the way he dresses and looks.

I don't blame him. It's completely racist to think someone is a thief simply because they're a black male that wears all black.

That logic is absurd. "It's wrong to assume people are thieves based on their color so I'll just prove them right."

Your boyfriend is reinforcing a negative stereotype that already blights the honest, law-abiding people of his color. If he gets caught he won't just screw himself over.

Witty Conversationalist

Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
Why would your 300 lbs neighbor be a deciding factor? Oh, he is well off, so ******** him? Yaaaaa-no. Equality isn't stealing from others just because they have more than you.
no but it's justice.

No, it isn't.
yes it is. clearly the tall guy doesn't need it, so if the kid were to steal it from him, it wouldn't matter bc he can still see, and now the kid can too.

That's circumstantial. Is your neighbor 300 pounds because he has so much money that he eats all the time? Or is he 300 pounds for some other reason?

I have known people in poverty that are obese because they spend what little money they have on fast food all the time and don't do anything. So, let's say that neighbor of yours is like these individuals in poverty and then you stole from them because of your mindset on "justice". Stealing from someone in poverty because of your assumptions.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
I say it's up to each individual to determine for themselves. that said, people have every right to protect themselves from theft. if you're gonna steal from somebody, expect them to deal with you harshly.
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
no but it's justice.

No, it isn't.

except that's retarded because it's not even the other guys fault that the thief didn't have what they needed in the first place. there was no injustice to be righted, thieves take what's not their's to take. WHICH IS WHY IT'S WRONG. the items being taken belong to someone else and the person that owns them does not have to make up for the bad decisions of every thief that doesn't have what they feel they deserve.

if a thief really wanted to help themselves they would stop stealing and get a job, or several, because any thief that makes a habit out of stealing is going to jail eventually.

Destitute Smoker

3,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Wall Street 200
Erholung
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
no but it's justice.

No, it isn't.

That's circumstantial. Is your neighbor 300 pounds because he has so much money that he eats all the time? Or is he 300 pounds for some other reason?

I have known people in poverty that are obese because they spend what little money they have on fast food all the time and don't do anything. So, let's say that neighbor of yours is like these individuals in poverty and then you stole from them because of your mindset on "justice". Stealing from someone in poverty because of your assumptions.

you think any person who steals is also stupid who won't do some homework on who they're stealing from? im not saying "steal bc the world has wronged you!" i'm saying that it is ok to steal things that you need that other people have an abundance of.

Destitute Smoker

3,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Wall Street 200
melted glass slipper
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
no but it's justice.

No, it isn't.

except that's retarded because it's not even the other guys fault that the thief didn't have what they needed in the first place. there was no injustice to be righted, thieves take what's not their's to take. WHICH IS WHY IT'S WRONG. the items being taken belong to someone else and the person that owns them does not have to make up for the bad decisions of every thief that doesn't have what they feel they deserve.

if a thief really wanted to help themselves they would stop stealing and get a job, or several, because any thief that makes a habit out of stealing is going to jail eventually.
as opposed to a thief that doesn't make a habit of stealing things? lol

if someone has something that they clearly don't need, it is ok to steal it if you need it.
this does not mean that if you are well off that you can steal from a millionaire. you don't need the extra dough. think robin hood. everyone likes that story. if someone did that in real life you'd just have a fit though wouldn't you

oh wah the poor are getting what they need and the rich are getting butthurt bc they don't have as much surplus.

you've never been in a situation where stealing was necessary, you've never felt that pressure so i don't think you can storm in here w your "its WRONNGGGGGG" bc if you had you would not be saying that lmao

Witty Conversationalist

Oliva the Bootstrapper
Erholung
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie
no but it's justice.

No, it isn't.

you think any person who steals is also stupid who won't do some homework on who they're stealing from? im not saying "steal bc the world has wronged you!" i'm saying that it is ok to steal things that you need that other people have an abundance of.

I'm not saying any person who steals is stupid, I am saying your reasoning for your neighbor is stupid.

Destitute Smoker

3,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Wall Street 200
Erholung
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Erholung
Oliva the Bootstrapper
Chicken Zombie

No, it isn't.

I'm not saying any person who steals is stupid, I am saying your reasoning for your neighbor is stupid.

no i meant that you can't say that you're screwing someone over bc of your assumption. anyone who doesn't check out the person they're stealing from is stupid. but i really doubt that a 300 pound person (w. plenty of dough to maintain his weight) will care if some s**t goes missing every once and a while to feed some starving kid who steals to stay afloat.

justice = fair-play
i think it's more than fair for a wealthy person to be burgled by a poor person lmao

Aged Smoker

3,050 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Member 100
Some interesting replies here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers