Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is the word ****** only an offensive word if you choose to take offence? Is it only a big deal if you make it one? Why do i ask? I want to hear what you say first.
I really don't like that word. Nobody should use it, simply 'cause of how it originated. And there really isn't any reason to use it anyway =/
That word was invented by whites to belittle blacks. It's a word I will not use.
That word is not part of my vocabulary. It can be very offensive to people because they know how it originated. Trully not a nice word to use.
I hate to hear a lot of today's generation using it like a slang term. It is really sad how they don't respect all the work their ancestors used to get rid of that word. Thousands DIED over it, yet it is often used as a word for "friend". gonk
I say it with my friends and stuff, but I would never say it out in public.
>>>Death Note<<<

User Image

"I'll live my own way"

The word is an offense to the african-americans, yet everyday I hear it as a slang term
The original word was more or less a spanish word for "black" (which is why I often make sure I'm saying "negro" without sounding like that word)
I often found it disgusting and stupid that after so many died to get rid of it, people are using it to talk to their friends.

>>>Death Note<<<
when i watch comedy central all the white people say "the n-word" while all the black people say "******". thats just one of the things that comes to my mind when people say that word. :[

poor little white comedians..
most words go under a phase of amelioration(make better) and generalization by the subsequent generations. just like the word "dork" it started out meaning a whales p***s and now it means nerd, who would have figured

Lonely Lunatic

I don't think it will ever be truly reclaimed because not everyone can reclaim it as a positive term. Meaning most people will always feel uncomfortable saying "******" and hearing it.
Morally I don't have a problem with it. However, the word can carry a lot more than whatever small amount of meaning I intend to fill it with, and that meaning can translate to a LOT MORE than just words...which a lot of times is fine with me, but I'd rather hurt with my hands than with my mouth. In other words I'm not going to risk pissing someone off just to say the word, I really don't care about it that much.

Sparkly Lunatic

14,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Object of Affection 150
All words are only offensive to those who deem it offensive... I know that some people who find saying "Oh my god!" offensive, and to others its just another exclamation... same goes with just about any "curse word"..

Context comes into play the most with that word...

I personally don't use it, and I don't really like hearing/reading it.
I've never really used that word or ehard others using it because I don't meet any blacks over here where I live. Anyway, it souhds really vulgar and rude and I read it in some book similar to "To Kill a mockingbird" on racism and because it was a name the whites called the blacks to consider them inferior, I don't think I'd use it.

8,400 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I think it's more a matter of how it's said than how people choose to take it. It's usually pretty obvious whether someone's saying it in a friendly manner or a derogatory one.
I think it really depends on how its used. I have used it before in a joking manner between friends. But I would never use it in an offensive way. I think if you let the person your using it infront of that its not meant to offend them, and your sincere about that, then it shouldnt bother anyone. But I think it is generaly a good idea to just stay away from using words as contriversial as "******". Just because it helps keep the peace. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff