Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Ally

I'm torn between not giving a s**t and not giving a ********.

Fashionable Shopper

I disagree. Personally, I think the idea of voting should be something pressed on more in schools. I think at 18 if you can die for your country then you should be able to vote as well. The voting age should stay the same as the age in which a person can die for their country.

Demonic Enabler

17,700 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
28's a bit high, 21 seems fine since that's when most people get out of college with a 4year degree, and things do impact them.

Most people who are around this age who don't care for politics or only want to 'get drunk and mack on bitches' probably won't vote anyway.

And I've met so many adults who don't put any critical thinking into their voting choices and they're in their 40's.

Do you really think that people don't do anything and contribute nothing society between ages 18-28?

If someone is old enough to take out huge expensive loans to pay for university, then they're old enough to vote. Not everyone has well off parents who will let them lay around at home until 28.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Plenty of 28 year olds are still ******** stupid and don't pay attention to politics or world events.

Make it 55. Seniors are the only people who vote anyway.

Sugary Cat

I don't care, I am not voting anyways.

Liberal Receiver

As I get older I have found myself agreeing with my dad more and more.
So I'd rather it be 25. As my dad put it "You don't have a ******** idea who you are from 16 to 25, you think you know everything and you know nothing. 25 is when you start to realize that you aren't invincible, and you start to realize who you really are or are going to be."
This, of course, offended me from 16 to 25 because I assumed that I was not like my peers at much, or at all because my hobbies didn't involve going to parties or having wanton sex.
Not that after 21 I didn't get drunk off my a**. But in the time period of 16-25 I only had two sexual partners, while maintaining an almost 4.0 in high school(mandatory gym is what did that in, as a result I still have a vendetta against gym teachers and their socks.) and a 4.0 in college.

But looking back, he was pretty much right.

So I'd say 25 unless property or a business(not inherited) is owned, at which case 19.
- massive amounts of legislation are used on children under 18 and peoples just over 18. They need their say.

-increasing the voting age, like Obama's 'on the healthcare plan until 26,' increases the dependency on parents by making the new 'age of dependency' at least higher than 18.

-saying that 18 year olds all fit into a stereotype mindset is ignorant.

- Obama is a horrible president, and I wanted to and did vote against him.

-Historically, 18-28 year olds are the driving force of all human history. This is the age group that went to war, did the protests, were the loudest and most radical. 18-28 year olds are necessary in politics.
Agreed. 25 at least.

The 18-21 voters are the reason Obama even got into office. Also anyone who has stepped foot onto most university campuses and seen first hand the liberal agenda professors cram down young, impressionable students' throats would agree.
Literally all your reasons sound like you plagiarized them from a 10th grader. How about a system with a set number of choices, if you choose wrong, you don't get a counted vote. Then a system to organized it, because clearly someone who thinks voting for Obama because he's black shouldn't be allowed to poison our potential good best choice.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
You think being younger automatically means you know nothing about politics? There are plenty of people who are politically idiots who are well past the age you just listed. You're generalizing all young people as stupid, party people when that's not the case for all of us, or even most of us. 18 is old enough to do virtually everything else, so I think it's old enough for me to vote.

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
Times Of War
The voting age should be 28

Reasons?

-You just got out of high school you're still basically a babby supported by your parents.
-You've contributed nothing to society, quite the opposite actually you've been a money sink for society
-You haven't had enough time to mature, develop a real world view and taken the time to critically think about politics and yet you can jump right into a voting booth.
-even being able to vote at 21 is ridiculous; your hobbies at this time are getting drunk and "mackin on bitches"
-you're still ******** stupid
Every retired person is a sink on society. Some of them live off of their own former gains but they arent producing any while consuming. What would you like the upper voting age limit to be?

Some people never get knowledgable about politics, others do super early. Personally I was very into it by the age of 9 and certainly knew enough to vote then - and it was an independent opinion of mine, I didnt know which parties my parents voted for but in hindsight I doubt it was.the party I would have voted for.

Not everyone gets into "getting drunk" and s**t like that. Are you planning on knowledge or maturity tests?

It sound like your proposal is based on the view that government funds are taken from "contributers" to do good government things with. Since the money "belong" to those taxated it should be up to them what they want the government to do with them. Knowing the egoistic nature of most people, most of them will then want the money.spent in a way.that.directly benefit themselves.

My view is that above a certain income you utility of adfitional income is considerably reduced. Utility from projects that require cooperation - military defense, healthcare, infrastructure - is useful to you but too expensive to build.yourself. Government taxation allow such projects to be done, raising utility for all at a considerably lower price than it would be if one or a few individuals coinvested.

I also think that its a good idea from a utilitarian point of view to allow those with high income to subsidize basic needs for those with low or very low incomes. The utility of 1000 dollars when you already have a million is pretty low. The utility of 1000 dollarrs when it allows you to go to the dentist to fix your aching tooth, or get food for your kids for the week is very high.

Such subsidization also prevent social unrest - desperate people do desperate things. If youve needed to steal before the threshold before you steal again is lower.

There are more reasons I support subsidization - it allows my less succesful family members and friends to have good lives without begging richer people for help. It also allows for evening out income over time - taxating me the most when I produce the most and subsidizing me when Im a kid, a student and retired. This is a good investment strategy too, my income is higjer thanks to my education, allowing for higher taxation.

The subsidizes to kids here means that "teen moms" can get by and provide for their kids without dropping out. A VERY profitable investment that allows the mom and their kids to not get caught in a poverty trap.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
You know what really upsets me about this thread?
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
You want to know why thousands of years ago, 16 year olds were the backbone of society while today's 16 year olds are children with a sex drive? Responsibility. Thousands of years ago, there was no one else, so teenagers and in some cases tweenagers had to run things, or at the very least do most of the work. Slowly people started to live longer, and life expectancy went from 25 to 85. That meant the older adults did more and more work while the children and eventually teens and as of right now adults waited for their turn, enjoying their freedom and eventually society started seeing those years as part of the process of being an adult, rather than adulthood in waiting. Now the same thing is supposedly happening to us young adults, since the vast majority of 20-30 year olds can't really support themselves financially and some emotionally. That doesn't mean anyone below 28 years old is a baby incapable of doing anything meaningful by themselves, and should stop being treated as such. Neurologically, you're fully-grown at 25, but many of the areas who are last to finish growing(problem solving, control over emotion and risk management) can also function well before that.

Fashionable Shopper

Jason0690
So I'd rather it be 25. As my dad put it "You don't have a ******** idea who you are from 16 to 25, you think you know everything and you know nothing. 25 is when you start to realize that you aren't invincible, and you start to realize who you really are or are going to be."
This, of course, offended me from 16 to 25 because I assumed that I was not like my peers at much, or at all because my hobbies didn't involve going to parties or having wanton sex.
Not that after 21 I didn't get drunk off my a**. But in the time period of 16-25 I only had two sexual partners, while maintaining an almost 4.0 in high school(mandatory gym is what did that in, as a result I still have a vendetta against gym teachers and their socks.) and a 4.0 in college.

So I'd say 25 unless property or a business(not inherited) is owned, at which case 19.

So it is perfectly okay for an 18-24 year old to be unable to vote but can join the military? I find so much wrong with that.

The answer is more education throughout school years about voting, choosing candidates, research.

Liberal Receiver

LilPinkCandy
Jason0690

So it is perfectly okay for an 18-24 year old to be unable to vote but can join the military? I find so much wrong with that.

The answer is more education throughout school years about voting, choosing candidates, research.

Y'know, if you'd have asked, or paid attention to my previous posts concerning military enlistment, you'd know that I don't support it at all and if, IF I did, it would be 21+.

Fashionable Shopper

Jason0690
LilPinkCandy
Jason0690

Y'know, if you'd have asked, or paid attention to my previous posts concerning military enlistment, you'd know that I don't support it at all and if, IF I did, it would be 21+.

I honestly didn't remember. There has to be a military, despite the fact that I hate it. I think that 18 is way too young for it. I think that voting is important as it does affect the young people.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff