Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is kind of a random rant. Sorry it is so long, but please bare with me.

I hate when people use the term 'emo' to classify people who cut themselves and stuff. I cut myself, but I'm not emo. I admit, I have issues, but I don't wear black (or makeup for that matter). I consider myself a normal teenager, except when I become stressed or mad and self mutilate. I am aware of this and I am currently in counceling, so I don't need suggestions on that. All of the time in my classes, people joke around calling people 'emo' and stuff. It's very offensive to me and many others.

They use 'emo' as people who cut themselves for attention. I SWEAR TO GOSH THAT I DON'T. Nobody knows about it except my family. And I don't do it for attention. It's not something I do for fun, it hurts me to do it. But it is very offensive to me.

I just wanted to know what your opinions are on the term 'emo'. Once again, sorry this is so long.
My opinion on the term:

Wiki
The term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene of the mid-1980s.
im very, very tired of this term...
many people are being made fun of for simply being depressed, wearing black (even casually), and having a cut on their wrist, even if it's a simple cat scratch. it's become such an often used word that it has not much meaning to the people who use it.
i think it's just to classify and generalize the "new aged" depressed teenager. I've heard this term way too many times.. this fad needs to die, please. -.-
Really I don't like when people say that emos cut themselves, because I've met jocks and preps that cut themselves. Plus I consider emo as an over rated term.

4,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • First step to fame 200
i have the same feelings and its really annoying to hear and its also like the word gay to me like i find it really offensive that people use gay around me because they don't know i am but inside it hurts a little to know they probably won't accept me if i tell them

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
i dont mind the term i just hate how ppl like to make fun of "emos" especially here on gaia, its so annoying to see people making threads just about it...
I HATE the term "emo." A teacher at my school uses emo in this form:

"What are you being all emo about?"

It makes him sounds ignorant.
It's just another stereotype. I wouldn't take it too seriously. :3
x__brutaility
I HATE the term "emo." A teacher at my school uses emo in this form:

"What are you being all emo about?"

It makes him sounds ignorant.

rofl It makes him sound like he's trying too hard to be 'hip' with the kids. xD

2,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I agree here. It's like useing things like "thats so gay". It bothers a lot of people.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Now adays most people think of the term emo the oposite
of Elmo, elmo is always happy, emo is always sad,
that's how they sort of think of it. which is wrong, but that's
the world. xP
Kelkia
i have the same feelings and its really annoying to hear and its also like the word gay to me like i find it really offensive that people use gay around me because they don't know i am but inside it hurts a little to know they probably won't accept me if i tell them

I agree. I'm always trying to correct people when they use the word 'gay' because it is also offensive to others. It just really pisses me off.
the word emo shouldn't exist
emos are noobs

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
gothiclg
I agree here. It's like useing things like "thats so gay". It bothers a lot of people.

I agree with that. People these days!! They use words in the wrong way and make it into an irrelevant fad. Who the heck invented those wrong definitions anyway???!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff