Total Votes:[ 2859 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 692 693 694 > >> >>> »|

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
JeLlO_PoWeLl
Get over yourself...everyone does it, I do, my bff does...wtf does it matter??

No, not everyone does it, in fact a mere 30% of young adults on average self harm.

Why don't you educate yourself a little bit on what you're doing? That, and read our Misconceptions section. It would help you greatly.

Original Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
Daimin VonRavenstone
Silversan

Thank you for posting.

I agree with the points that you have made. Each self harmer is difference, and they have difference needs. This fact does not stop at recovery. "What may work for one, might not work for another..." That's true. Therapy might work for one self harmer, but the other self harmer might find comfort in journaling their emotions instead as a way to recover. People need to find out what's best for them, and if it works, it works.

People who claim that Depression is not a mental disorder or that it does not exist probably do not know much about it. While there are emotional symptoms, there are also physical symptoms associated with Depression and other mental disorders. I would consider change in sleeping habits to aches and pains as a physical symptom. I'm sure most of us have seen that commercial advertising that one medication that treats the physical AND emotional symptoms of Depression. There's truth to that.

I agree---people who go through mental disorders and traumatic events are strong. They have courage.

Now, if someone is cutting themselves for attention they still have an issue. They still need some form of help. I also don't like how people assume that just because someone self harms that they might be an emo. Emo is just another stereotypes, and stereotypes are usually exaggerated. While they have some basis, that basis has been stretched and torn apart a long time ago. Most people do not fit into stereotypes 100% if at all.

I wish the best for you. Good luck.

You're welcome.

I've known a lot of people in various situations so I see it all the time that what works for me, might not work for someone else.

Saddly, a lot of people who don't personally know someone with depression or who haven't been through it themselves just blow it off to being 'sad'. I was in a discussion with someone one night where he said he knew the difference then in the next paragraph said I was 'better than that and could get over it'. Yeah, okay....lol.

True, they would still have an issue and need help. Just not the kind of help they think they need. Ah I hate that whole emo stereotype. The only reason I mentioned it is because I really don't know what else to call those kids. And true, no one really fits into one stereotype anymore, that's why you have things like punk rocker and goth-a-billy or what not. Everyone should just drop the stupid stereotypes and be themselves. Cold day in hell before that happens though...lol.

Thank you. smile

I just so happen to be an expert in the field of stereotyping. ^__^

The reasons people do it are various, and the end result/purpose of stereotyping is so that the people making the claims want to either fit into a category, or they want someone else to be in a category so as to make them more easily 'comprehensible'.

I could elaborate on this issue, but most of the point is captured in that sentence...

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Ironic someone mentioned Nietzsche. I'm reading Thus Spake Zarathustra at the moment. *laughs*

Eloquent Conversationalist

summer1412
Ironic someone mentioned Nietzsche. I'm reading Thus Spake Zarathustra at the moment. *laughs*
I studied him in social studies in 12th grade.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Daimin VonRavenstone
Silversan

Thank you for posting.

I agree with the points that you have made. Each self harmer is difference, and they have difference needs. This fact does not stop at recovery. "What may work for one, might not work for another..." That's true. Therapy might work for one self harmer, but the other self harmer might find comfort in journaling their emotions instead as a way to recover. People need to find out what's best for them, and if it works, it works.

People who claim that Depression is not a mental disorder or that it does not exist probably do not know much about it. While there are emotional symptoms, there are also physical symptoms associated with Depression and other mental disorders. I would consider change in sleeping habits to aches and pains as a physical symptom. I'm sure most of us have seen that commercial advertising that one medication that treats the physical AND emotional symptoms of Depression. There's truth to that.

I agree---people who go through mental disorders and traumatic events are strong. They have courage.

Now, if someone is cutting themselves for attention they still have an issue. They still need some form of help. I also don't like how people assume that just because someone self harms that they might be an emo. Emo is just another stereotypes, and stereotypes are usually exaggerated. While they have some basis, that basis has been stretched and torn apart a long time ago. Most people do not fit into stereotypes 100% if at all.

I wish the best for you. Good luck.

You're welcome.

I've known a lot of people in various situations so I see it all the time that what works for me, might not work for someone else.

Saddly, a lot of people who don't personally know someone with depression or who haven't been through it themselves just blow it off to being 'sad'. I was in a discussion with someone one night where he said he knew the difference then in the next paragraph said I was 'better than that and could get over it'. Yeah, okay....lol.

True, they would still have an issue and need help. Just not the kind of help they think they need. Ah I hate that whole emo stereotype. The only reason I mentioned it is because I really don't know what else to call those kids. And true, no one really fits into one stereotype anymore, that's why you have things like punk rocker and goth-a-billy or what not. Everyone should just drop the stupid stereotypes and be themselves. Cold day in hell before that happens though...lol.

Thank you. smile

It is nice to here something say that. A lot of people believe that therapy is the only way someone can stop harming themselves and recover. The same goes for the "just talk to someone" method that people state all the time. I know they mean well, but I think therapy is slightly whored out to a point.

I understand. Emos are stereotypes as the ones who sit in the corner and cut themselves because life is so hard, so bleak, so they bleed black and write morbid poetry. I wish people would realize that stereotypes are fun to imagine, but they are not realistic. People need to be themselves instead of trying to fit into a certain style or group. I saw a lot of my classmates doing that in middle and high school. I had friends leave me simply because I was deemed an outcast or loser by the so-called 'popular kids.'

Stereotypes are probably going to be around until...this world ends.

For the record, I'm guilty of using stereotypes do. I just try not to do it as much. I am well aware that people don't fit them.

When people are misinformed or ignorant about a topic, I will give them links, information, and try to talk to them. If they do not listen, there is not much I can really do.
GoddessDivine
questa notte
Used to self harm, ice and salt was my favorite. I relapse occasionally. I'm really, actually happy now.

People don't really want to hear my story, so I won't waste my time.

Also, the only thing that TWLOHA has done right, imo, is sell shirts for Casey Calvert.
Salt and ice is something that I haven't heard or seen before. Would you mind explaining?

Actually, if you'd be willing, I'd be very intrigued and moved to read your story. So, you're very welcome to post it if you feel comfortable enough to.

You put salt on ice and press it to your skin. Burning sensation, and it can scar if you hold it there long enough. First heard of it on a forum where people were burning themselves some cute-shaped scars.

Exactly five years ago, this chick got me involved with this plot to lie and betray the group that we had, about twenty or so of my peers. I got involved, unknowing of what she was doing. There was this silly story that we made up, and we were just so lonely, all of us, that we just wanted to believe it so bad. It had something to do with an alternate universe, that I don't remember too well now, I believe I repressed the memories. Anyhow, I guess I started losing my mind. I couldn't tell the difference from being awake or asleep, I'd zone out into this AU, and not notice that my body was just robotically getting through each day.

But when we were 'found out' or moreso, I guess, when that chick came clean with everything, the world that we wanted to believe in, for the lack of childhood, almost, was pretty shattered. She and I were outcasted, and for some reason, she hated me. The things we do for attention. I guess I wasn't exactly stable, I don't really have much idea. I'm telling you what I can gather from the things I wrote at the time. From having a bunch of friends, to none, it was a shock, and as far as the rest of the school, they didn't want anything to do with the 'smart class' so it was pretty much lonerdom for me.

Hence the cutting. Hence the 60+ hours a week on the internet. Hence the salt and ice.

And a year and a half later, it wasn't getting any better. Moving to a new school brought friends, but the feeling that they were pity friends didn't help, really. I guess I didn't really stop until I found out that my best friend really did care about me, and we spent so much time together that I couldn't remember that I was sad, that I couldn't remember what had happened before.

Relapses happened, of course. A falling out with the best friend, and a mending of that.
The best friend doesn't have time for me anymore.

I'm happy, now, actually. I don't know where it came from, but for a whole month now, I've been on top of the ******** world. I'm making a game, writing a novel, doing better with music than I ever have before, getting my a** in gear with schoolwork, and you know, the occasional attention from a certain guy, which is always fun times.

Original Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
summer1412

I was trying to figure out how Nietzche came into the picture. I have been meaning to read some of his stuff at some point but I just never have gotten to it.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
GoddessDivine
summer1412
I studied him in social studies in 12th grade.

He's one of my favourites. I love his perspectives on religion and God, and also on people. Very fascinating.
Silversan, Casey Calvert was the screamer in Hawthorne Heights. He died because of a reaction between the painkillers that he was given, and his antidepressants, that was apparently very, very rare. Casey was a good guy, and is sorely missed.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
spiffyschmoo
summer1412

I was trying to figure out how Nietzche came into the picture. I have been meaning to read some of his stuff at some point but I just never have gotten to it.

If you go to Amazon.com and look at the used books when you search for him, you can get them pretty cheap. He was an amazing person.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
questa notte
Silversan, Casey Calvert was the screamer in Hawthorne Heights. He died because of a reaction between the painkillers that he was given, and his antidepressants, that was apparently very, very rare. Casey was a good guy, and is sorely missed.

Absolutely tragic.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Candy Massacre 50
GoddessDivine
questa notte
Used to self harm, ice and salt was my favorite. I relapse occasionally. I'm really, actually happy now.

People don't really want to hear my story, so I won't waste my time.

Also, the only thing that TWLOHA has done right, imo, is sell shirts for Casey Calvert.
Salt and ice is something that I haven't heard or seen before. Would you mind explaining?

Actually, if you'd be willing, I'd be very intrigued and moved to read your story. So, you're very welcome to post it if you feel comfortable enough to.

Salt and ice is a chemical reaction. I'm afraid of saying more out of fear that explaining it would be considered encouraging someone to self harm. There's information out there on the internet if you search for it.

@questa notte

Oh. I remember hearing about the singer dying. I just did not know his name. Thanks for the information. I apperciate it.
summer1412
questa notte

Absolutely tragic.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. neutral

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Candy Massacre 50
questa notte
summer1412
questa notte

Absolutely tragic.

I doubt she's being sarcastic.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
questa notte
summer1412
questa notte

Absolutely tragic.

Oh, not at all. I'd make it very obvious if it was sarcasm. =)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff