Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you self harm?

Yes 0.35816719132564 35.8% [ 1024 ]
I used to, but I recovered 0.32668765302553 32.7% [ 934 ]
I don't, but I know someone who does 0.13606155998601 13.6% [ 389 ]
No 0.17908359566282 17.9% [ 512 ]
Total Votes:[ 2859 ]

Camool
Relapsed for the first time this year. 3 little cuts on my right arm. For the 3kgs below 40 I am.... All the pressure is making me want to cut every day but if I did that my boyfriend would leave me.

If you boyfriend would leave you, thats a tricky thing. there are two sides to that. First off, do you just think he will? or has he said?

Also, just know that if he dose, its probably because he himself cant handle it, and not because he dosnt still like you or anything.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Just wanted to pop in before work, and tell everybody hey.

I've skimmed through the two pages, and I'll reply to everything later. But for now I'll just say this:
It is working on five years that I've been harm-free. It has not been easy. Sometimes it is a daily struggle. Other times I go weeks or even months without even thinking about it. One thing to always remember is that relapses happen. Don't feel guilty if you slip up. This isn't a race to see how long you can go. This is life. Sometimes we stumble. Make it part of the dance, and start over. Relapsing is not the end of the world, and there is nothing wrong with it. Try not to if you can, but never feel guilty if you do, or think about doing it.

We're all only human. We stumble. There are no mistakes, only lessons.

Stay strong, guys.

tamtonica's Partner

Hygienic Bibliophile

8,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here, so I guess I'll just tell you a bit about myself smile

I'm a twenty-year-old social work major and I must look like I have recovered. Started cutting when I was eleven, had my dark emo phase ( sweatdrop ) between 13 and 15, got more normal and totally focused on school again after that and pretty much haven't done any cutting since I was 18. No one ever noticed anything (still wondering HOW), I've got a distracting tattoo over my scars and I've vowed ever since I got the tattoo to never cut again. Yeah, but maybe with the wrong motivation. Because I really do wanna cut, but I don't wanna hide anything about me and that would mean people asking questions and I don't wanna deal with that. So it just occasionally happens that I accidentally cut myself while shaving, which is not a solution, I know.

But, anyway, the reason I'm posting here is because I've got a question~ would you consider excessive hand washing as a form of self-harm?

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
littlpinkunicorn
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here, so I guess I'll just tell you a bit about myself smile

I'm a twenty-year-old social work major and I must look like I have recovered. Started cutting when I was eleven, had my dark emo phase ( sweatdrop ) between 13 and 15, got more normal and totally focused on school again after that and pretty much haven't done any cutting since I was 18. No one ever noticed anything (still wondering HOW), I've got a distracting tattoo over my scars and I've vowed ever since I got the tattoo to never cut again. Yeah, but maybe with the wrong motivation. Because I really do wanna cut, but I don't wanna hide anything about me and that would mean people asking questions and I don't wanna deal with that. So it just occasionally happens that I accidentally cut myself while shaving, which is not a solution, I know.

But, anyway, the reason I'm posting here is because I've got a question~ would you consider excessive hand washing as a form of self-harm?

Hmm. I wouldn't consider it one. An obsessive compulsion perhaps, but unless you are washing your hands to the point of them bleeding or suffering serious damage, no, I wouldn't consider it to be self injury. But it may be something that you might want to pull back on a bit.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or other disorders related to it (hand washing is a symptom of such disorders), root from the same area of the brain as self injury. It is nervous, habitual behavior.

Barking Hellhound

Ah...I Had completely forgotten about this thread and it just happens to pop up when I need it. I relapsed again after being almost three weeks clean, can't seem to go a day without cutting. I have to hide it from my mom though,and I hate hiding things. I just don't want to be hospitalized again. I feel really awful...About everything really. I don't know what to do..

tamtonica's Partner

Hygienic Bibliophile

8,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
summer1412

Hmm. I wouldn't consider it one. An obsessive compulsion perhaps, but unless you are washing your hands to the point of them bleeding or suffering serious damage, no, I wouldn't consider it to be self injury. But it may be something that you might want to pull back on a bit.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or other disorders related to it (hand washing is a symptom of such disorders), root from the same area of the brain as self injury. It is nervous, habitual behavior.

Hey, thanks for replying smile

Okay, good, that's what I thought. It's definitely a nervous habit on my part, just like nail biting. Dunno if I'd go so far as to call it a compulsion, I don't wanna diagnose myself with anything.

Timid Gawker

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Hey guys.

Sorry I haven't been in for a while. Been busy and sot of outside of myself, if that makes sense. I still love you all and think of you guys daily. heart

Anyway, I actually had a question for you all here.

I've been dealing with some hardcore triggering lately and it's kind of freaking me out. I made it to the five year mark and don't know what to do with myself now, other than enjoy the small glimpse of the whole "stable" thing everybody keeps telling me will come along. So far, so good. No relapses in sight. But lately, it's almost to the point where the serious freak-out triggering has subsided, but now it's kind of almost a dull ache.

Do you guys ever feel like you're triggered but not heavily, like...you could go without doing it but the thought or compulsion stays in your head for long periods of time, outside of initial anxiety or depression or whathaveyou? Just the thought, not even really the intense desire to DO anything, just sort of...the idea, staying?

I've never dealt with this before, at least not this length of time, and it's kind of freaking me out. I don't know what to make of it really so I figured I'd ask.

Love you guys.

Will check back soon. Stay strong. heart

Mythical Lightbringer

summer1412
Hey guys.

Sorry I haven't been in for a while. Been busy and sot of outside of myself, if that makes sense. I still love you all and think of you guys daily. heart

Anyway, I actually had a question for you all here.

I've been dealing with some hardcore triggering lately and it's kind of freaking me out. I made it to the five year mark and don't know what to do with myself now, other than enjoy the small glimpse of the whole "stable" thing everybody keeps telling me will come along. So far, so good. No relapses in sight. But lately, it's almost to the point where the serious freak-out triggering has subsided, but now it's kind of almost a dull ache.

Do you guys ever feel like you're triggered but not heavily, like...you could go without doing it but the thought or compulsion stays in your head for long periods of time, outside of initial anxiety or depression or whathaveyou? Just the thought, not even really the intense desire to DO anything, just sort of...the idea, staying?

I've never dealt with this before, at least not this length of time, and it's kind of freaking me out. I don't know what to make of it really so I figured I'd ask.

Love you guys.

Will check back soon. Stay strong. heart

Hey summer, it's been a long long while. Do you have a support system that you turn to? If you're that triggered, and it's not letting up, perhaps talking to someone you love or trust might help. It could give you some perspective and help take some of the power away from those triggers. I've been awhile without self-harming, though I too have come very close many times recently. Things just seem to have snowballed. I've found comfort and help in a couple of very close friends, who have been able to help me cope with the feelings before I took matters into my own hands. It sounds to me like things have just gotten overwhelming to you, and that perhaps there are things there you just haven't ever really faced and put to rest. If you need an ear, my inbox is always open to you.

Mythical Lightbringer

Steam Powered Giraffe
Ah...I Had completely forgotten about this thread and it just happens to pop up when I need it. I relapsed again after being almost three weeks clean, can't seem to go a day without cutting. I have to hide it from my mom though,and I hate hiding things. I just don't want to be hospitalized again. I feel really awful...About everything really. I don't know what to do..

Do you have anyone you can turn to? A friend, a relative? I have always said the only thing worse than suffering, is suffering alone. It sounds like you're feeling lost, and I think it would help to talk about what is driving you to hurt yourself. If you don't feel comfortable saying it here, my PM box is always open.

SeIbst's Queen

Loyal Giver

9,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Popular Thread 100
RIP to a wonderful thread

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Freya Nightfell
RIP to a wonderful thread

Even if this thread is inactive, it can still serve as a place for people to post their issues. I have seen people come here even when the thread has been dead.

I may not post here as much as I used, but I still keep up with this thread.

Dapper Cultist

11,950 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
I wonder if this thread is still active or might be active again soon ... I was hoping to talk with some people who maybe have the same problems. I know everyone self harms for a different reason, but those who don't do it just don't seem to understand at all ...

Benevolent Phantom

As long as there are pain and suffering that one cannot bare by oneself there will always be support groups, and people who do care out there. I appreciate the people who can make threads like this, and the people who have the courage to post in them. Because one shouldn't be ashamed of the trials they face <3 but be proud they can bare it all, and face the day in their own way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff