Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you currently dress up for raves? [Asked 3-11-09.]

Not for real ones, but house parties! 0.05645784996133 5.6% [ 73 ]
But of course. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 431 ]
Nuu ... 0.13766434648105 13.8% [ 178 ]
Still haven't had the chance to rave. 0.47254447022428 47.3% [ 611 ]
Total Votes:[ 1293 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 125 126 127 > >> >>> »|

Question of the day: What was the first DJ or producer you listened to?

HEY! This Thread began as a tribute and help to those who didn't know how to dress for raves, and also needed some knowledge on them. I am currently in the process of making even MORE informative gems available. Thank you for witnessing our passing into the Lifestyle Forum!

P L U R
[[ Peace, love, unity, respect. ]]
[[ "Please let us rave". ]]

User Image

Look here for all things kandi-related! We seem to have a sister Thread. ✧✧✧

The term "raver" came about prominently in the UK during the 1960s; it was a term used to describe party-goers. The word is now generally restricted to what this Thread is all about!

Ravers are typified as one who enjoys listening to various forms of EDM, electronic dance music- [whether it be happy/hardcore, house, hard/trance, electronica, industrial, Eurobeat, jumpstyle, tekstyle, hardstlye, shuffle, club, drum'n'bass, gabber, dubstep, breaks, techno, fidget, jungle, electro, or what have you] and dancing to it in a similar style [oftentimes more frenzied or flow-y] style- AKA, raving. They generally have a severe fascination with glow sticks, colour-changing lights, rainbows, fuzzy things, and making rave kandi // candy.

Rave candii [or kandy] are bracelets, anklets, chokers, and necklaces made up of pony beads. They usually have a pattern or meaning, and many have words on them, such as "XTC". NOTE! You do NOT have to take drugs to be a genuine raver. As long as you appreciate the lifestyle [or clothes, or music] then you can consider yourself a raver. (:

Raver STYLE

User Image

There are many variations and alterations of ravers, but are oftentimes classified into two mains that I shall touch upon momentarily. Ravers are well-known for reflective clothes, gators [fuzzy leg-warmer like things], adorning themselves with kandi and glow sticks, fishnet shirts, "phat" pants [large, think Tripps], and tight shirts. Raver girls are likely to wear a sports bra, tank top, or tee with a mini, shorts, or pants. Raver guys will sometimes go shirtless, sport a fishnet shirt, and wear baggy shorts. THERE IS NO "PERFECT" WAY! Truly, wear something you feel comfortable in.

Candy ravers are bright figures at raves. Whatever your initial perception of a rave is, you likely imagine them. The females have a tendency of wearing their hair in two ponytails and adorning themselves in almost random clothes and accessories, including tutus. They are ridiculous. Many, even the males, have a binky. Almost everyone who takes ecstasy [which I do NOT recommend] have one to chew on but many candy ravers, or kandi kids, do as well.

The second "main" rave style is cyber goth. They are described as generally wearing all black with an accent colour, such as red or a neon shade, and are famous for their platform boots, cyber lox [thin tubes worn as hairpieces with other things, such as felt, ribbons], dread falls [a similar concept, but made of fake hair in the form of dreads], spiked jewelry, and goggles. As uniquely stated by monsieur Mike Diva, they seemingly resemble "Predator". They are known at times as Rivet Heads.

Of course, there are no rules with how you dress when attending a rave, leaving your house in raver style, or simply dancing at a friend's party. All elements of basic raver styler, from the common candy bracelets to cyber goggles, are interchangeable and work well together almost no matter what. Feel free to do as you like! These are simply generalizations.

Raver TIPS

User Image

✰1. Drugs are definitely an option.
They are illegal, will hinder you, and are not considered "cool" or necessary by many ravers.

✰2. Fishnets and gators are ALSO completely optional.
Before wearing a new spiffy rave outfit, dance in it first, please! Many materials feel horrible and will chafe or become itchy upon sweating.

✰3. You don't have to buy from online stores.
I get my pony beads and string from Walmart, and occasionally Target and a crafts store. Some stores sell various bright and dark hues of sports bras, tanks, and shirts which can easily be decorated to look more fancy if you like. The same goes for bottoms and shoes.

✰4. Go with a group of friends.
Until you're an experienced raver, it's typically considered safer to do such. Buddy system! It's also more fun with people you know.

✰5. Have you or someone you know be the "backpacker".
Ever wonder where to stash your keys, ID, and cell on the dance floor? Yeah, this kind soul is your answer. Hopefully you'll have a friend who brings a tight bag and will let you utilize that space.

✰6. Be properly hydrated and eat before!
But not too close to the time of the rave; you don't want to faint or get cramps.

✰7. Don't worry about the "elites".
There will be those that tell you that you HAVE to trade your rave candy and cannot give yourself your own rave name [s'like a nickname or a title]; such isn't true. As with any other scene, people will claim to be the real thing. Until you've been an avid EDM listener for a while, I wouldn't try arguing with these people. You'll look like a stupid kid.

Images and ARTISTS
[And resources.]

User Image

I HIGHLY suggest you join PlurLife. They are similar to social networking sites, but are specific in that it's all about raving! They have handy links and lists for up-coming raves and such. They are being run by a load of poor ravers, as I've been told, so the website has it's kinks but does well. =]

If you want to buy hair falls, head over to IKickShins. I trust no one else. And check out Love on A Stick if you want custom rave clothes! She's a user here on Gaia, too. Here's a good tool for making a dream [or real] rave outfit; raver dollmaker. It's a game on DeviantArt that lets you mix and match basic raver clothes and accessories. =)

I'm going to list some artists at random. Assumably, you've heard of or listened to Basshunter and Cascada. While both were considered good DJs for a while, Basshunter has run his music to a more popular tune and is no longer considered "indie" or what have you; in fact, ravers who claim either to be their number one are considered poseurs in most situations. I'm also going to guess you've heard "Pretty Rave Girl". Again, same thing. And the true artist is DJ S3RL, not I-Am-X-Ray.
Dash Berlin
Armen Van Buren
Darren Styles
DJ Tiesto
DJ Coone
DJ Cammy
AMS
LS System
Raindropz
Headhunterz
Grendel
Hanzel und Gretyl
Scott Brown
DJ Hixxy
Combichrist
VNV Nation
Mt Eden
DJ Sharpnel
Lucky Twice
E-rotic
Zed Dead
Freezepop
Daft Punk
Le Castle Vania
Toby Emerson
DJ Gammer
The Prophet
David Sonar
A.M.D.A.
Neoyphyte
Angerfist
Dark Oscillators
Bass Agents
Neophyte
Eisenfunk
Steve Aoki
The Bloody Beetroots
M1dy
Boys Noize
Infected Mushroom
S3RL
Showtek
The Toxic Avenger
DJ Promo
Madstylerz

Here are some links to images for your viewing pleasure. :3
Eccentric candy ravers.
A cyber goth.
Cyber lox.
Dread falls.
Three of my many IRL raver friends!
My friend Gabe with Scott Brown!
He is a DJ now and is quite good. =)

How to DANCE
[Stylised.]

Here I will capitalize upon several popular forms of dancing that fit into rave culture. There are variations of each, and many YouTube videos of those at different stages [whether advanced or newb] acting them out, so if you find yourself interested, do a search! Tutorials are available through an easy glance. You will find the names of each dance to be painfully befitting the definitions. XD

Jumpstyle.
In this form, kicks, spins, quick hops, and jumps are placed to the beat of the bass. Patrick Jumpen is considered the general master of this. It is relatively easy to find clips of people jumping in pairs.

Shuffle.
Melbourne Shuffling is a little more difficult to describe; when perfected, it is a very smooth and fast style that makes one appear as though gliding on the ground.

Tecktonic.
This is a very robotic dance; use of the arms is more predominant here than in the above two. It is very popular in France.It consists of movements that seem tricky and quick but are not too hard to do.

Liquid.
It encompasses much more of the full body than any other style, typically. As the name states, one moves like water, often to more psychedelic music.

Oftentimes holding glow sticks or other forms of intriguing light are incorporated; also very popular are "tricks" performed when doing general leg movements to each stylized version of rave dancing. It takes a good amount of patience, but trying one or two out is worth everyone's time.

Thanks for visiting!

BTW.
There is definitely some really good raver pr0n out there.
And my raver name is Pink. heart Please introduce yourself!
[I have also been given the title of "Graver"; multiple raving personalities- common.]

The kandi-receiving list: [First come, first served.]
Basset Hound Babe
Raver_m3w
S l e a z o i d
Kamui_kun
Kusarineco
s3rl rocks... im more into hardstyle though (as with many rave kids) and i totally agree with your little ravers rules section xd i would have never thought of puttin a rave thread in lifestyle... lol lol well done pink... my rave name is biobunny or just bunny
I love youuuuuu.
This thread is so cool! <3

Also, I love DJ Sharpnel. So happy to see that on your list. <33
dont forget us breakore kids!

5,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
KANDIIKID
- - - - - キャンヂキッド

User Image
*:..。。..:* "i fly like paper.."User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

thanks for posting the hairfall/pieces resource. I thought that was realy great. Also- high five on linking and supporting another gaian with their bussiness. That's proactive and communal! : D

<3 plur dolls

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
"get high like planes..." ゜*:..。。..:*
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
User Image

Thanks for all the positive support! I will be editing some stuff soon to include a few more terms, I promise. 3nodding

-Hugs Nyz- I luh yew~

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."
I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm trying to make a new raver outfit [green, pink, purple, and black] but I don't know what I want to do.
So far I've made mixed media falls and am in the process of making a pair of phat pants. I'm seriously considering a corset, but the simple way to make them doesn't look good at all on me [I'm flat chested] and the pattern has been lost. So I'm a bit stuck on what I should do for the upper half of my body. Buying things online is not an option for me, so it'd be great if I could make something myself [I'm an adept seamstress].
Any suggestions?

Are theere mosh pits at Rave parties? I think that would really be fun and I've never been to a party like that with a pit but I heard from my family that's been in one that they're SUPA MEGA FUNZORZ
If not I think your Raving buddies would like them ^_^
And I LOVE THE IKICKSHINS SITE! I was looking into braids and I might order the KK Jumbos ;D

User Image

Nyzzie: What about an underbust corset or waist cincer? They just go across your middle.

I SO: Yes, moshes happen sometimes at rave-related things, haha.

ILU for this.
I love going to con raves (plus I had one in my kitchen for my bday and my friend had one in her living room. Oh, the mini strobe light is getting WORKED) and I really love parties like these~!
I never get to completely dress rave-y cause I don't have the stuff, but hopefully for the next, I can get what I want~!

User Image

Hilarious Gekko

YAY. Pink, I sooo love.
User Image

Heya Zero. =]

OMG, I thought raves died in the '90s? I've clearly been misled.
I've always wanted a thread on this.

Unfortunately, I'll never have a taste of his lifestyle or fashion style. Mainly because my mother would never allow me to go to such things, because they're drug infested. I can't even convince her tame ones exist.

it doesn't stop me from designing the style though. =]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces