Welcome to Gaia! ::

Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Cause it'd be foolish for kids who aren't used to being away from home life to be thrown into an independent environment plus have to deal with classes that confuse the heck out of them.

I'd like to be eased into it, figure out how my life at a University is going to play out, and then focus on harder classes.

the whole easing your way into things, sounds kind of like a BS excuse, i intend to go to college to learn, i could care less about the social aspect.
But like high school, the social aspect is there whether you like it or not. You have to have the skills equipped to deal with it so you don't get overwhelmed.

Honestly, people are making education and learning so much harder than it needs to be. Right now, im betting there's some homeless dude who's an ex-computer science major who could teach me more in less time. But whatever, im just speaking nothings at this point.
Um...okay? Look, it all depends how you go about it. Like with me, my school is in an urban environment, and I don't live on campus. There's no Greek presence, and the sports teams are trying, they really are, but no one really cares. This makes the social dynamic at my school a lot different than someone who live son campus and goes to a state college that has a huge Greek presence and a massive sports culture.

Whether you're in college or out in the real world, you'll have to know how to navigate social situations if you want to succeed.

Yes, i know but just knowing how to navigate social situations doesn't interest me in the slightest, i've forged a personality thats fairly adaptable if need be and fits in with the societal norms of today, but to be honest, i'd rather trade the majority of my social skills for skills more practical and worth while.

Invisible Seeker

8,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Cause it'd be foolish for kids who aren't used to being away from home life to be thrown into an independent environment plus have to deal with classes that confuse the heck out of them.

I'd like to be eased into it, figure out how my life at a University is going to play out, and then focus on harder classes.

the whole easing your way into things, sounds kind of like a BS excuse, i intend to go to college to learn, i could care less about the social aspect.

Excuse for what? I'm gonna be learning, believe it or not learning to manage an adult life qualifies as part of the college experience. I'm gonna need to learn how much groceries cost and whether half of what I buy is gonna go bad before I eat it. I need to get a laundry schedule down, and learn how to possibly cope with a shitty roommate. I need to figure out something to do in my spare time, when and where I'm going to work out, so I won't stand idle on a room and waste away my young years.

And I could careless about what you want to do in your time, or if you have a hermit personality. I'd rather not be lonely, and I'll take life at my own pace. I've got my whole life to live, I don't have to shoot through college.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Tiggette

But like high school, the social aspect is there whether you like it or not. You have to have the skills equipped to deal with it so you don't get overwhelmed.

Honestly, people are making education and learning so much harder than it needs to be. Right now, im betting there's some homeless dude who's an ex-computer science major who could teach me more in less time. But whatever, im just speaking nothings at this point.
Um...okay? Look, it all depends how you go about it. Like with me, my school is in an urban environment, and I don't live on campus. There's no Greek presence, and the sports teams are trying, they really are, but no one really cares. This makes the social dynamic at my school a lot different than someone who live son campus and goes to a state college that has a huge Greek presence and a massive sports culture.

Whether you're in college or out in the real world, you'll have to know how to navigate social situations if you want to succeed.

Yes, i know but just knowing how to navigate social situations doesn't interest me in the slightest, i've forged a personality thats fairly adaptable if need be and fits in with the societal norms of today, but to be honest, i'd rather trade the majority of my social skills for skills more practical and worth while.
Social skills are going to help you get jobs, get along with your coworkers, find a girlfriend or a boyfriend, and maintain a nice circle of friends. Social skills are not any less practical and worth while then knowing how to code in C++.

Invisible Seeker

8,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Tiggette

You don't think social skills are worthwhile? What the ******** dude, human interaction is part of the beauty of life. Forming bonds and experiencing emotion connected to it. It's the only thing keeping us from being computers.
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Tiggette

Excuse for what? I'm gonna be learning, believe it or not learning to manage an adult life qualifies as part of the college experience. I'm gonna need to learn how much groceries cost and whether half of what I buy is gonna go bad before I eat it. I need to get a laundry schedule down, and learn how to possibly cope with a shitty roommate. I need to figure out something to do in my spare time, when and where I'm going to work out, so I won't stand idle on a room and waste away my young years.

And I could careless about what you want to do in your time, or if you have a hermit personality. I'd rather not be lonely, and I'll take life at my own pace. I've got my whole life to live, I don't have to shoot through college.

I never really got why people condemned "hermits", i mean can you hardly blame them and all of those things you listed seem like things that are common sense and should of been learned in your teens slightly.

Invisible Seeker

8,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Tiggette

I never really got why people condemned "hermits", i mean can you hardly blame them and all of those things you listed seem like things that are common sense and should of been learned in your teens slightly.

Maybe to you, which is great in your case. I haven't been living alone for the past 16 years, I haven't bought my own food, I haven't done laundry for just me.

It's less condemning and more pitying.
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

Social skills are going to help you get jobs, get along with your coworkers, find a girlfriend or a boyfriend, and maintain a nice circle of friends. Social skills are not any less practical and worth while then knowing how to code in C++.

Funny, you bring up programming as an example, im actually working on a program in java on another tab, but i see what you mean to an extent, you obviously cant rely just on one skill. For jobs i'd rather get those through pure skill, if i was interested in getting a girlfriend i would of gotten one, and a circle of friends just seems uninteresting if this world doesn't offer nearly half the things i'd want to do with another group of people.

Jolly Star

13,550 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
sign of nascent knowledge
if i had an eighth of an inch of string for every angsty thread you've made since your anonkid days, i could turn it all into a rope and hang myself with it.

You know you could just buy some rope.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

Funny, you bring up programming as an example, im actually working on a program in java on another tab, but i see what you mean to an extent, you obviously cant rely just on one skill. For jobs i'd rather get those through pure skill, if i was interested in getting a girlfriend i would of gotten one, and a circle of friends just seems uninteresting if this world doesn't offer nearly half the things i'd want to do with another group of people.
Oh, that is adorable. You're like a little puppy that is going on his first walk outside the house. emotion_kirakira

Sorry. Look, you can absolutely get a job based purely on skill, but it takes a lot longer and it's riskier, because you might have to settle for a job you don't really want. It's also harder to climb into management if your coworkers don't like you very much because you won't socialize with them.

Try as you might to justify not having any, social skills are important, both in our professional and personal lives. You don't have to be a social butterfly, and you don't have to do what everybody else is doing, you have have to be willing to come out of your cave every once in a while and say hi.
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

You don't think social skills are worthwhile? What the ******** dude, human interaction is part of the beauty of life. Forming bonds and experiencing emotion connected to it. It's the only thing keeping us from being computers.

But in the end what use are your emotions? I cant eat my emotions or drink them, they seem like so much more of a weakness in the long run, only an inhibitor to keep us from thinking rationally at most times. Life isn't beautiful or ugly, its just one of the many factor's that compose this universe, its up to the individual to decide for himself whether he wants to fool himself into believing otherwise.
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

Oh, that is adorable. You're like a little puppy that is going on his first walk outside the house. emotion_kirakira

Sorry. Look, you can absolutely get a job based purely on skill, but it takes a lot longer and it's riskier, because you might have to settle for a job you don't really want. It's also harder to climb into management if your coworkers don't like you very much because you won't socialize with them.

Try as you might to justify not having any, social skills are important, both in our professional and personal lives. You don't have to be a social butterfly, and you don't have to do what everybody else is doing, you have have to be willing to come out of your cave every once in a
while and say hi.

Trust me im aware that i have to "socialize" with people to some extent. It just disgust me how much this society is built on it sometimes, its a chore to force myself to greet someone with a false smile on my face each morning just to go to place that waste the majority of my time.

Distinct Poster

sign of nascent knowledge
if i had an eighth of an inch of string for every angsty thread you've made since your anonkid days, i could turn it all into a rope and hang myself with it.
Maybe then we wouldn't have to read your narcissistic alogisms, derived from your alter egos facade of grandeur.
I think you should always take basics at a community college because it is the same old stuff.
But if some people can afford to go to university then that's fully their choice.
I don't think they'd regret it, they'd still be getting a great college experience.

Shirtless Survivor

My first semester, I went to community college thinking I could save money. I did save money. But I couldn't stand it there. All of the students were apathetic or stupid or both.

I mean how do you get low grades when the teacher has a review session, gives everyone a test handout that contains all the possible questions on the test - and you take that home and solve it - and even bring it in and discuss any questions you couldn't answer - right before the test?!?!?!
emotion_facepalm HOW.do.you.fail.that??!?! And yet these students apparently did.

I couldn't stay there. No challenge.

So I transferred to an actual 4 year college. 2nd semester was much more challenging and I was also put in this lovely, challenging British literature class. heart
Bilabial Click
My first semester, I went to community college thinking I could save money. I did save money. But I couldn't stand it there. All of the students were apathetic or stupid or both.

I mean how do you get low grades when the teacher has a review session, gives everyone a test handout that contains all the possible questions on the test - and you take that home and solve it - and even bring it in and discuss any questions you couldn't answer - right before the test?!?!?!
emotion_facepalm HOW.do.you.fail.that??!?! And yet these students apparently did.

I couldn't stay there. No challenge.

So I transferred to an actual 4 year college. 2nd semester was much more challenging and I was also put in this lovely, challenging British literature class. heart

I got the highest score in my intro to business course and all I ******** did was sit in the back of the room, watching anime or doctor who on my laptop. I don't even.
My teacher posted an official grade sheet and half my class failed. What the ********? emotion_facepalm

@OP: It depends on your college. My community college feels a bit like high school still, but I'm taking courses that'll transfer to the uni I intend on going to.
but I'm with them; there's not that much of a challenge in CC for me. I'm getting straight A's and I'm barely even trying. I never got straight A's before. o___O;

I do think it's ******** idiotic to go straight to a 4 year university if you're not sure you can even finish whatever you're going into, or you don't have a better idea in mind of what you want to be.
friend of a friend is in that issue now. -____-;; He doesn't have his family backing him and it's not like he went to a lower-end/cheaper university.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games