Welcome to Gaia! ::

pay for the first year of college? I mean if you have full scholarship then by all means, go for the whole 4 years. But, for those who dont have a full ride, and are paying out of your personal pockets, what are you reasons for paying for 1 whole year of pretty much recapping what high school taught you if you payed attention? I mean doesn't the entirety of high school just seem irrelevant if your just going to retake them in college by force.

I know in some schools you can test out of the freshmen classes. So why?

Edit: i meant to say, if they can just go to community college and do it for free/cheaper depending on their location and circumstances.
if i had an eighth of an inch of string for every angsty thread you've made since your anonkid days, i could turn it all into a rope and hang myself with it.

Loiterer

Because no magical fairy is going to come around and pay it for them.
That's why.
sign of nascent knowledge
if i had an eighth of an inch of string for every angsty thread you've made since your anonkid days, i could turn it all into a rope and hang myself with it.

Who even are you?
Arcobelano
sign of nascent knowledge

Who even are you?

pff, like i know
I we straight to a 4 year college for a couple reasons.

I had AP credit entering college, so there was about a semester's worth of classes I ended up getting to skip. I guess I could have done my first year at a community college and taken care of the rest of my gen eds, but I didn't feel a need to. Every university has different requirements, so I probably would have had to take a few anyway.

Also, I knew what I wanted a degree in. I also ended up getting a BFA, meaning I took nearly 90 credit hours for my major alone, as opposed to most BAs that only require 30-40. I was able to get a jump on a lot of my major related courses my freshman year, so that was good too. I was also able to get a minor.

I was also very ready to move out and on to something new. Had I gone to a community college, I would have stayed at home and in my hometown, which I wasn't interested in. I also got a chance to really bond with my incoming class, which has proven to be invaluable after graduation.
Because depending on the school it might be nothing like high school. Some of my core classes were by far more difficult than what I took in high school while others were so-so, but none of them were just recapping what I already learned. Yeah, you can test out of any class if you can afford the fee to take the test and score high enough. I think it's $100 per test. Could be wrong. As for why not going to a community college first, not all classes will transfer and then you just paid money and did all that work for pretty much nothing. You still have to repeat it. But if you can find a school where all the classes transfer, then why not? I just know my school didn't accept a lot of community college classes because they were way behind what we did. Especially their math courses.

Original Cutie-Pie

If you paid attention, which a large majority do not.
Besides which you can take an unrelated subject at university, in which case some students need to be taught it.
Also, it's just easing you into Uni life so that you don't feel out of your depth.
The first year is all about getting comfortable with your studies etc etc.
Besides, what does it matter to you if they're paying extra, it's not coming out of your pocket.
Prestige?
College experience?
They are the same people that think avoiding credit cards saves them money?

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I started out at a university because I had already been to a community college, and I knew if I tried to do my first two years there, I wouldn't take it as seriously and there would be a higher chance of me dropping out. Going to college was really risky for me anyway because I dropped out of high school when I was 16, got my GED at 18, and then started college at 23, so I was way unprepared. I knew if I started at a CC it would feel too much like high school and I would drop out as soon as it got hard.

Invisible Seeker

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Cause it'd be foolish for kids who aren't used to being away from home life to be thrown into an independent environment plus have to deal with classes that confuse the heck out of them.

I'd like to be eased into it, figure out how my life at a University is going to play out, and then focus on harder classes.
Tiggette
Cause it'd be foolish for kids who aren't used to being away from home life to be thrown into an independent environment plus have to deal with classes that confuse the heck out of them.

I'd like to be eased into it, figure out how my life at a University is going to play out, and then focus on harder classes.

the whole easing your way into things, sounds kind of like a BS excuse, i intend to go to college to learn, i could care less about the social aspect.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Arcobelano
Tiggette

the whole easing your way into things, sounds kind of like a BS excuse, i intend to go to college to learn, i could care less about the social aspect.
But like high school, the social aspect is there whether you like it or not. You have to have the skills equipped to deal with it so you don't get overwhelmed.
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Tiggette

But like high school, the social aspect is there whether you like it or not. You have to have the skills equipped to deal with it so you don't get overwhelmed.

Honestly, people are making education and learning so much harder than it needs to be. Right now, im betting there's some homeless dude who's an ex-computer science major who could teach me more in less time. But whatever, im just speaking nothings at this point.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Tiggette

Honestly, people are making education and learning so much harder than it needs to be. Right now, im betting there's some homeless dude who's an ex-computer science major who could teach me more in less time. But whatever, im just speaking nothings at this point.
Um...okay? Look, it all depends how you go about it. Like with me, my school is in an urban environment, and I don't live on campus. There's no Greek presence, and the sports teams are trying, they really are, but no one really cares. This makes the social dynamic at my school a lot different than someone who live son campus and goes to a state college that has a huge Greek presence and a massive sports culture.

Whether you're in college or out in the real world, you'll have to know how to navigate social situations if you want to succeed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff