Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Receiver

AUGH.
I just got a call on my personal cell for a debt resolution company asking if I would like to resolve my debts for one low fee-
Uh, Nuh.
-but sir this is not just a sales call we can-
Click.

Yeah, no. No is no, and no. Yah not going to get me to change my mind. Add this in for the telemarketer that called and berated me when I didn't want to donate to a breast cancer association because I was unemployed(at this time, not considered disabled.)

I get they're human. I get it's a job. But ffs. Do you really expect people to buy a product or give you money when you harass them?

Also, getting the automated telemarketer that starts off with saying "HELLO SENIORS" like, what? I'm not that ******** old.

DISCUSS;
How much the Do Not Call registry sucks at stopping these ********.
Any mean or just particularly ridiculous telemarketers or scam artists that called you.
How many "no"s do you think it would take?
Is it ruder to just keep saying "no, nope, no way, nuh bruh" or just to hang up after the first no?
Why the most common times for getting these calls appears to be 8am, noon, and 6pm?

BONUS; A week ago a guy tried calling my home phone, telling me that my computer had a virus and that he could see everything I do on my computer, and if I didn't pay him 500$ he would sell my info to other hackers. I just needed to give him my credit card info over the phone.

Let that sink in for a bit.
I access my bank account and buy s**t online all the time.
Yeah.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I am actually as rude as possible to these people. As well as I am rude to those who call asking about selling the house, or those rallying votes for the Right Wing parties here.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

I'm polite the first time and say "No thank you" and if they continue I get nasty. Like jfc I said no?

User Image

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
We used to tell people that our parents when kayaking and died of ebola during their trip. This was when it first started getting bad in the late 90s.

Mega Ladykiller

Ugh. Theres one number that keeps calling me since last year. They call 3 times a day. Ive never picked up. Eventually I got an iphone so I was able to block the number. But now, all they do is flood my voice mail. ._____________.

Timid Lunatic

User Image

I just use caller ID to ignore telemarketers; it's the door-to-door salespeople that bother me most. Get the ******** off my property.

User Image
If you live in Merica you can have your phone numbers added to the national no call list, and if they still call you, then you can sue.
Also, you should get an airhorn to use on telemarketers.

Borg

I'm unlisted, and I'm big on giving out fake numbers when stores want them. I also joined the DNC list as soon as I could...

...but none of that stops election calls.

For living in a freaking flyover state, I get them all, and somehow, I'm on every freakin' astroturfer list, from rabid Tea Partiers who leave me long rambling messages about how the Soviet Union never really broke up (I'm serious) and Ebola is Obama's fault (there's a whole litany of these; earthquake in China? Obama's fault, etc.), to local politicians who want to want me to know that Betty Urbano once advocating putting children into small pens, then slaughtering them and selling their tender meat to local restaurants as "cheal" to raise money to support her husband's crack habit, so she should never be allowed on the library board.

Oh, then there are stoners who want me to vote for Ron Paul for President because, "He's, like...awwwwesome, maaan..." I got one of those last summer.

I also get the "I'm some third-rate personality with an eardrum-destroying voice (e.g., Gilbert Gottfried) here to tell you why I'm voting for Jim Smuckleworth until your brain turns to raspberry jelly and squirts out your ears..." and the "I'm Bobby Bo Dicks, and I want to tell you how my opponent has used our fine state as nothing more than lousy 1-ply toilet paper with which to wipe soft gooey crap from his mammoth, pustulent buttcrack, and let me tell you fine folks how I intend put two chickens in every garage and chunks of truck tire in every pot..."

It's really starting to heat up now, and I get double messages because I used to have a fax line, so I get calls for the first number, then the second, then follow up messages from semi-literates who've been forced to memorize scripts "hel-lo-city-zen-we-are-calling-on-behalf-of..." I've had upwards of 30 calls in a day during hot elections.

i usually use these as a good guide on who not to vote for. That's how I ended voting for Harold Stassen for president last time, and a straight Whig ticket in another. I also vote Mauve a lot. They're like the Greens, only even less organized and more...mauve. Or was it suave? Something.

// Hello., this is raggedy grrl, and I approved this message.
/// Paid for by the Concerned Citizens Against Raggedy Grrl, a deliberately-misleading grassroots group that is actually in favor of raggedy grrl and fracking in children's playgrounds to find natural gas.
//// Whoa, did we say "fracking"? We meant "gentle exploration" and by "natural gas", we meant chocolate cupcakes!
///// Erm...let's just forget about that fracking stuff until after the election. Vote Raggedy Grrl for President, 2017: Better Late Than Never!

Blessed Prophet

This makes me crack up every ******** time

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
Those are awesome prank call videos. I always get the Windows scammer saying that our computer has a malware. My mom almost did what the guy did till I just hang up on them and told her that it was a scam.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I used to work for a call center that did surveys, so the DNC list did not apply to us.

I was always as friendly as possible; but unless a customer(?) gets really threatening/irate, we are not allowed to hang up on them. To me it's just easier to say "No thank you, have a nice day" and click. You can also (if they're a legit business obviously) ask to be put on their DNC list.

I had no issues with anyone answering and being annoyed but when they told me to get a real job. This was when getting a job was a miracle in itself. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO PEOPLE.

Other than that, I hate the robotic ones. If I answer the phone and it's a robot, I hang up. I don't hold, I don't wait. They're getting paid to call me, I'm not getting paid to waste my time and wait on them.

Magical Tree

I once hung up on one, and she called back in tears... Ugh.

Once my dad got one that said the call could be recorded on that end for quality control/assurance.. so my dad just repeated the line back to the guy and it totally wigged him out.

The vampires (aka red cross) call my mom still even though she's told them she can't donate anymore. She has a chronic illness and at one time was on a medication that destroys your immune system. They still called her. >,<

Telecharities are the worst.

Oh, also the navy/military... ugh. Those calls are annoying. I answered the call on my college dorm room phone (thought maybe the RA was calling or something, nah, it was uncle sam). The guy wanted to talk to my roommate, I said she was out. He then tried his pitch on me, so I told him my legitimate reasons I could never be in any branch of the service (asthma, allergies and bad joints. i'd die in basic!). He said he'd take note and not call me, as my name was on the list. Guess who called the next day for me? Uh-huh. I told him the same thing, and was less kind about it this time. (i mean, how stupid is that? he could have marked me off the day before. but he lied.)

Dangerous Kitten

4,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
I'm not a telemarketer, but I conduct non-partisan surveys for news stations and medical schools in the area. If somebody says they aren't interested or they want to be taken off the list, that is that. I do get a fair amount of people who are willing to help answer questions, though...probably because we don't ask for money.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff