Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, my dad and stepmom are out of town and left my little brother with me. Normally, I'm a pretty chill person and I can handle him, but yesterday, he was being bratty the whole day. Anyway, we were coming home from the store and he was kicking me in several parts of my body. I kept telling him to stop, of course, but he just kept on. Finally, I just grabbed his leg and told him to stop or I would take his games away. His response was to punch me in the boobs. That's when I lost my temper, yelled at him and slapped him, not very hard mind you, but he lost his balance and hit the concrete. He burst into tears and yelled "why's you hit me!" at the top of his lungs. I look up and see a few of my neighbors looking at us. Needless to say, I was embarrassed, so I just scooped him and brought him inside. Like 20 minutes later, there's a knock at the door and it was the police. They started asking me questions and then asked him questions, and he told them everything. I don't how long I spent telling them it was an accident, but finally, they left. Today, I've been more lenient and he's been quiet, so it's better
So, LD.
Did I handle that badly?
Have you ever been arrested?
Do you deal with children on a daily basis?

Sparkly Duck

Children can be hard to deal with. Punishment is always a tricky area but one thing you could have done to deal with that better is to lay it out clearly for him since he is still a child.

"If you keep hitting my I'm going to take you inside and spank you."

Something like that. That being said, I've lost my temper while babysitting my niece and nephew one time. I put them to bed, waited an hour to make sure they were sleeping and then locked the door and laid down to sleep for myself(I watched them 10pm until my brother gets out of work, normally 1-3AM). When I woke up they had gotten out literally everything and threw it all on the ground in the bedroom, spilled their drinks on the bed that they had gotten out(Pepsi of all things. I hate the diet choices they give their kids). I threw the empty pepsi 2 liter and put them in the corner after talking to them each and giving them one spank. I hate raising my voice.
Saria Silvia Fulvia
So, my dad and stepmom are out of town and left my little brother with me. Normally, I'm a pretty chill person and I can handle him, but yesterday, he was being bratty the whole day. Anyway, we were coming home from the store and he was kicking me in several parts of my body. I kept telling him to stop, of course, but he just kept on. Finally, I just grabbed his leg and told him to stop or I would take his games away. His response was to punch me in the boobs. That's when I lost my temper, yelled at him and slapped him, not very hard mind you, but he lost his balance and hit the concrete. He burst into tears and yelled "why's you hit me!" at the top of his lungs. I look up and see a few of my neighbors looking at us. Needless to say, I was embarrassed, so I just scooped him and brought him inside. Like 20 minutes later, there's a knock at the door and it was the police. They started asking me questions and then asked him questions, and he told them everything. I don't how long I spent telling them it was an accident, but finally, they left. Today, I've been more lenient and he's been quiet, so it's better
So, LD.
Did I handle that badly?

Good thing you're a female, if you were a guy you would have been arrested.

That's "female oppression" at play right there. And the part of men being arrested, well that's just their male privilege.

As for did you handle it badly, well I'm not a parent and I don't have any younger siblings nor have I ever had to babysit any super young children. So I don't feel like I have the authority to judge how you did, however it should be obvious that slapping just isn't a good idea in this day and age where anything can considered serious "abuse" if a female or child says it.

No I've never been arrested.

No I don't deal with children on a daily basis, in fact I never deal with them. First of all I just don't like kids. Second of all I would feel extremely uncomfortable if I had to deal with kids in anyway because we live in a culture where if any young male is associated with a kid in any way they are seen as a potential abuser/child molester/rapist/so on and so forth and people automatically are suspicious of you.

Not to mention you may be considered a creep or a pervert if you even say anything to young females as well, so that's also something I try to avoid as well. Talking to older women (women in their 30's and older) is okay though, I don't feel like I'll get judged for that.
Vladolf Putler
Does he have a dad
specifically one in the house

Um, yes? Like I said, he's my dad's child but I'm watching him for the week
SirPuzzle
Saria Silvia Fulvia
So, LD.
Did I handle that badly?

That's "female oppression" at play right there. And the part of men being arrested, well that's just their male privilege.

As for did you handle it badly, well I'm not a parent and I don't have any younger siblings nor have I ever had to babysit any super young children. So I don't feel like I have the authority to judge how you did, however it should be obvious that slapping just isn't a good idea in this day and age where anything can considered serious "abuse" if a female or child says it.

No I don't deal with children on a daily basis, in fact I never deal with them. First of all I just don't like kids. Second of all I would feel extremely uncomfortable if I had to deal with kids in anyway because we live in a culture where if any young male is associated with a kid in any way they are seen as a potential abuser/child molester/rapist/so on and so forth and people automatically are suspicious of you.

Not to mention you may be considered a creep or a pervert if you even say anything to young females as well, so that's also something I try to avoid as well. Talking to older women (women in their 30's and older) is okay though, I don't feel like I'll get judged for that.

lalalala strawmen lalalala unbacked generalizations

you used to be better than this now you sound like yoby
Shemipicka
SirPuzzle
Saria Silvia Fulvia
So, LD.
Did I handle that badly?

I don't think you know what a strawman even is, or you're not very good at trolling.

You do realize that a strawman is when you misinterpret a claim someone makes and then argue against that point arguing why it's false.......right? I honestly don't know because lots of people throw accusations of logical fallacies around without actually comprehending what a logical fallacy even is (or what an argument even is.....which is where you seem to be confused).

The OP did not make an argument, meaning that there was no argument for me to respond to hence there was nothing for me to strawman to begin with. In order for me to strawman there would have to be some claim/argument the OP made, and i would have to be disagreeing with it and misrepresenting her claim/argument.

But my commentary had nothing with disagreeing with the OP.

So let's see you've falsely accused me of a logical fallacy in a way that doesn't even make coherent sense because I was not even disagreeing with anything the OP said, and you also said that I sound like Yoby.

Where have I heard this before? From a ton of users on here, so my question is why even make a mule-troll account when you sound a lot like any other regular user on here who jumps on the anti-yoby bandwagon?
SirPuzzle
Shemipicka
SirPuzzle
Saria Silvia Fulvia
So, LD.
Did I handle that badly?

I don't think you know what a strawman even is, or you're not very good at trolling.

You do realize that a strawman is when you misinterpret a claim someone makes and then argue against that point arguing why it's false.......right? I honestly don't know because lots of people throw accusations of logical fallacies around without actually comprehending what a logical fallacy even is (or what an argument even is.....which is where you seem to be confused).

The OP did not make an argument, meaning that there was no argument for me to respond to hence there was nothing for me to strawman to begin with. In order for me to strawman there would have to be some claim/argument the OP made, and i would have to be disagreeing with it and misrepresenting her claim/argument.

So let's see you've falsely accused me of a logical fallacy in a way that doesn't even make coherent sense because I was not even disagreeing with anything the OP said, and you also said that I sound like Yoby.

Where have I heard this before? From a ton of users on here, so my question is why even make a mule-troll account when you sound a lot like any other regular user on here who jumps on the anti-yoby bandwagon?

blahblahblahfine, random generalizations pulled out of no where into a ramble

anyway im not anti-yoby.

i dislike how he argues and i used to like yours stop converging into one being

Sparkly Duck

SirPuzzle

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

You do seem to have a grudge against women though. Things aren't exactly even, but it's a sliding scale mate.
Shemipicka
SirPuzzle
Shemipicka
SirPuzzle
Saria Silvia Fulvia
So, LD.
Did I handle that badly?

anyway im not anti-yoby.

A generalization is when you apply a quantifier to a set, please point out where I did this.

"anyway im not anti-yoby." Right, that's why you said "you used to be better than this now you sound like yoby" meaning that because I sound like Yoby, I am worse than I used to be.

"i dislike how he argues and i used to like yours stop converging into one being"

At least he argues, you don't even do that (which is consistent with the fact that your claims don't even make contextual sense). You sound like Senator Armstrong, just make claims without any premises to support them.

People who make bad arguments are infinitely better than people who don't make arguments at all, because at least the people bad at arguing have a certain amount of integrity whereas the latter has none.
SirPuzzle
Shemipicka
SirPuzzle
Shemipicka
SirPuzzle
Saria Silvia Fulvia
So, LD.
Did I handle that badly?

anyway im not anti-yoby.

A generalization is when you apply a quantifier to a set, please point out where I did this.

"anyway im not anti-yoby." Right, that's why you said "you used to be better than this now you sound like yoby" meaning that because I sound like Yoby, I am worse than I used to be.

"i dislike how he argues and i used to like yours stop converging into one being"

At least he argues, you don't even do that. You sound like Senator Armstrong, just make claims without any premises to support them.

People who make bad arguments are infinitely better than people who don't make arguments at all, because at least the people bad at arguing have a certain amount of integrity whereas the latter has none.

its not even that his arguments are all bad, its that theyre irritating to get through because while the premise is fine he throws in some random emotionallybased s**t that is unnecessarily biating or throws credibility out. he changes his story too when someone he doesnt hate comes along,
Compound Me
SirPuzzle

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

You do seem to have a grudge against women though. Things aren't exactly even, but it's a sliding scale mate.

Yes that's what a strawman is.

"You do seem to have a grudge against women though." Yes I can certainly see why people think that and under their view I can see how what I say would sound like that.

However I don't put women on pedestals, so it's a bit different from my perspective.

It's sort of like religion, just as with females, it's a thing that is put on a pedestal and I don't think the pedestal is legitimate. So when I criticize religion I also challenge the pedestal it's put on and that also makes people say things like "well you have something against religion/are hostile to it."

Well yes, in their perspective to not put religion on a pedestal is some crime against humanity and you must have some emotional problem with it. Whereas in actuality I just treat religious claims like any other claim whether it be political, historical, scientific, so on and so forth.

That's my whole deal, I just treat claims like anything other claim, and I've learned that there's not a lot of people who agree with me on this (you can go look at the hate male the atheist Sam Harris gets for making the simple claim "We should treat religion like anything else. We should be able to put conversational pressure on people's religious claims and be able to criticize their claims without people reacting emotionally in an over the top fashion." ) That's his main point, and I agree with it but apply it to everything.

If someone makes an empirical claim it's an empirical claim, I don't care if it's something abstract with very little impact to society or if it's a claim that may have significant impact on society. I don't care about that at all, all I care about is looking at a claim and thinking about if I think it's reasonable and possibly true or not. That's it.

It's interesting how treating something the same way you treat everything else is some sort of serious problem to a lot of people, like there's something wrong with treating something with the same standards as everything else.

Sparkly Duck

SirPuzzle

Yes that's what a strawman is.

"You do seem to have a grudge against women though." Yes I can certainly see why people think that and under their view I can see how what I say would sound like that.

However I don't put women on pedestals, so it's a bit different from my perspective.

It's sort of like religion, just as with females, it's a thing that is put on a pedestal and I don't think the pedestal is legitimate. So when I criticize religion I also challenge the pedestal it's put on and that also makes people say things like "well you have something against religion/are hostile to it."

Well yes, in their perspective to not put religion on a pedestal is some crime against humanity and you must have some emotional problem with it. Whereas in actuality I just treat religious claims like any other claim whether it be political, historical, scientific, so on and so forth.

That's my whole deal, I just treat claims like anything other claim, and I've learned that there's not a lot of people who agree with me on this (you can go look at the hate male the atheist Sam Harris gets for making the simple claim "We should treat religion like anything else. We should be able to put conversational pressure on people's religious claims and be able to criticize their claims without people reacting emotionally in an over the top fashion." ) That's his main point, and I agree with it but apply it to everything.

If someone makes an empirical claim it's an empirical claim, I don't care if it's something abstract with very little impact to society or if it's a claim that may have significant impact on society. I don't care about that at all, all I care about is looking at a claim and thinking about if I think it's reasonable and possibly true or not. That's it.

It's interesting how treating something the same way you treat everything else is some sort of serious problem to a lot of people, like there's something wrong with treating something with the same standards as everything else.

I've come to the conclusion you just want to have a lot to say. There is nothing wrong with looking at everything on an equal ground. That is what I try to do, though I likely fail all the time.

Do you know the statistics for child abuse though? Is it an empirical claim that women get away with it more or it isn't considered abuse if a woman does it?

My mother almost got arrested because I fell down the stairs and broke my leg. The way it broke they didn't believe her at first until my dad could fully explain just what happened at the bottom of the stairs. This doesn't exactly align with your thoughts as far as I know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff