Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should religion be allowed in PUBLIC schools?

Yes. 0.27777777777778 27.8% [ 10 ]
No. 0.52777777777778 52.8% [ 19 ]
Indifferent 0.19444444444444 19.4% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]
1 2 3 >

Hey there.
I'm doing a report in class about Religion in public schools.In America many public schools do not teach religion.In Georgia somewhere I found that they just started allowing bible studies and such into the school system...
I believe is shouldn't be allowed simply because of costs most schools can not cover easily and offense to other students whom do not wish to partake.I know I have people that pressure me simply about not wanting it in school with or without reason.I have people ask me if I would pray with them in the mornings.
Please give me nice feedback, I might even include it in my report if it's something good ( So I'd need some name to go by other then a screen name.xD)

Thanks everyone!
If people want religion, they can go to church. School shouldn't teach religion. It would cause WAY too much conflict because when it comes to public schools, there are kids who come from all sorts of different religions.
Bonesie
If people want religion, they can go to church. School shouldn't teach religion. It would cause WAY too much conflict because when it comes to public schools, there are kids who come from all sorts of different religions.

True, true. :]
If the school can cover all religions in the world then sure.
It shouldn't focus on just one.

9,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
I think it should be an optional class, if a class at all.
Trying to teach peple something they clearly don't believe in is pointless and unconvientional.
The same reason we don't have "Ghost Insvestagating" and "Treasure hunting in the pacific" as classes at schools. sad
It should be offered but not required.
Bonesie

Quoted... only want to add one thing...
some people are against religion.. where would they go?

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
Nope no, NO.

My elementary school did that basically. We like, weren't allowed to say "Oh my god" Or else we would get in trouble, and all the songs our choir learned around Christmas were like, bless the lord and s**t, of course they couldn't teach Jingle bells, or Frosty or something, we had a manger set up in our classroom, and the people who went on the trip to Quebec had to sit through mass on Sunday morning, in Quebec, and our French teacher clearly just *Had* to tell us about how children need to be baptized, how it was done, bring in her like, random baptism gown thing, and try to get us all to think out pets had no souls, or feelings.

It was horrible, even the religious people hated it. If you want religion, go to your ******** church people.
Of course.
I am taking a world history class and a lot of the stuff in the class is about 'RELIGION'.
It's not a bad word. It's not an ugly word. It shouldn't be taboo in school.
Look, I don't think they should be teaching Creationism in science class.
But there is sure is a place for it in a history class.
I'm not saying teach Christianity as the 'truth'. I'm saying teach all religion as a form of education.
Hell, I'm a proud atheist but I find Islam and Buddhism just damn near the more interesting subjects on earth.
Religion is a big part of human development and should be taught in subjects like world study or American history.
But, classes like Bible Study should be electives. If I don't want to sit through a who class of God is great. God is good.' I shouldn't have to. But when religion and it's origiens pertain to the class, why not?
Schools are for getting an education, if you want to learn about a religion go to Church, or a Mosque, Synagogue, Temple, Sunday School, etc etc.

Religion shouldn't be taught in schools because 1. Each religion has it's own different views, and 2. Many "teachings" of religions contradict or negatively influence the things the kids will learn, like science, chemistry, evolution, health, etc etc.
wazzur
Bonesie

Quoted... only want to add one thing...
some people are against religion.. where would they go?

They would not learn about religion then...^^''
I would LOVE to know more about the Christian religion, in a non-biased/bible thumping kinda way.

If they did teach about it, they'd have to teach about ALL the religions (or at least the major ones) in history. Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Pagan, etc. etc. Also, it would be better to have it taught by someone who 1) Wasn't a believer or 2) Could teach it without pushing it as "fact".

I think it's good for kids to know about religion, so long as you teaching it from a historical standpoint.
No, I don't even want to get into this discussion.

Its just a bad idea any way you look at it.

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
Abusive Mana
If the school can cover all religions in the world then sure.
It shouldn't focus on just one.

That's called grade 8-9 Socials! Or history!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff