Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you do it?

Yes 0.375 37.5% [ 12 ]
No 0.1875 18.8% [ 6 ]
Gold 0.4375 43.8% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 32 ]
1 2 >

My fiance asked me if I would like to quit my job and move to Texas or Colorado with him for the summer. After the summer was over we would be moving back here, he'd go back to school and his dormitory, and I'd move back in with my dad. My first reaction (inside my head of course) was YESYESYES, FINALLY he wants to live together. My second reaction was OHSHIT, I'd be JOBLESS.

He said it wasn't set in stone yet, because there was a chance the job would stay in state, but that it was looking like they'd have to send him to one of those two locations. They would be paying for the apartment, and he'd even let me bring my cats. So he wants me to think about it.

My big issue is job/money. I work part-time at a video game store for minimum wage. I love the job, though the pay sucks. I am looking for a second job. If that was all, I might go. But I have about $200 of tuition each quarter to pay (Spring is paid of, but the Summer deadline is drawing ominously near), and then every two weeks I have $50.01 withdrawn from my account from a debt collection agency. So unless he's willing to pay those while I am completely jobless, I'd be SOL. 1-3 days on minimum wage isn't covering this already, I am basically borrowing desperately from him and my mom.

My mom suggested asking for a leave of absence from my work, but even at one day a week that is 12 days missed. If summertime gets me back to 3-4 days a week that is more like 36 days missed. I doubt my work would give it to me.

Anyway, this one was long, I am betting a lot of you didn't actually read it, but I am just looking for some advice.

Prophet

6,900 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Start looking for jobs down there, before you move.
You can secure a job, quit your current job, and move... that way you're always in work, no worries.

At the very least, I think it's worth checking out.
Congrats, BTW.

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
yeah. you can find a new job when you're settled in your new place.

i vote to go with your fianceee!!! good luck!!!

so you're still studying?
Eublepharis Macularius
Start looking for jobs down there, before you move.
You can secure a job, quit your current job, and move... that way you're always in work, no worries.

At the very least, I think it's worth checking out.
Congrats, BTW.

Thanks.

I edited the first part just to specify the move is temporary, after the summer we'd have to go back to living seperately because he goes to his dads alma mater and I am getting my associates at a community college so I can get some experience in the field before working towards my masters at a university again.
nadettish
yeah. you can find a new job when you're settled in your new place.

i vote to go with your fianceee!!! good luck!!!

so you're still studying?

Thanks.

I edited the first part just to specify the move is temporary, after the summer we'd have to go back to living seperately because he goes to his dads alma mater and I am getting my associates at a community college.

I was at one school but couldn't afford it so transferred to another, but after a nasty illness and missing 3 out of 4 months of the semester I lost a chance at financial aid and had to drop out, so transferred to a community college to finish up gen. ed. and found out they had an associates for my planned career. So I switched majors again (first I was Nursing then Family Science and Sociology, now Chemical Dependency Counseling) and will get my associates. After getting settled somewhere working with that I will start taking classes again to get my bachelors in my intended field of Family Science, Sociology and hopefully my masters as well.
Should I Stay or Should I Go,
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble,
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

The clash. Stupid song really, obviously he should go- why risk double the trouble to stay?

As for you..
I really think it comes down to whats important to you. Which matters more, this job, or a month with your fiance?
Personally I'd probably choose to move- but I'm kind of impulsive and heart strong like that. If you're more practical then I am then you'd probably be better off staying.
There is no wrong choice- just make sure you talk things over with your fiance, no matter what you decide. That way you both will know what you want from the experience.
If you go might there be trouble? But if you stay could there be double?

Couldn't resist. I'd have to agree with looking for jobs before the move. Looks like you need a new one anyway.

I think this all comes down to if you want to go with him. But at the same time, I'd suggest a new job whether you go or not.
.WayneZinok.
Should I Stay or Should I Go,
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble,
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

The clash. Stupid song really, obviously he should go- why risk double the trouble to stay?

As for you..
I really think it comes down to whats important to you. Which matters more, this job, or a month with your fiance?
Personally I'd probably choose to move- but I'm kind of impulsive and heart strong like that. If you're more practical then I am then you'd probably be better off staying.
There is no wrong choice- just make sure you talk things over with your fiance, no matter what you decide. That way you both will know what you want from the experience.

Three months actually, early or middle May to early or middle August.

Which is why I want to go. I know it is only three months....but it's three months gonk

Rent will be paid for by the company, and he said he could pay for my cost of living, but I have the money issues I expressed earlier, and that definitely falls outside "cost of living". So it will be a long talk.
-[Nero]-
If you go might there be trouble? But if you stay could there be double?

Couldn't resist. I'd have to agree with looking for jobs before the move. Looks like you need a new one anyway.

I think this all comes down to if you want to go with him. But at the same time, I'd suggest a new job whether you go or not.

I don't think he will even know where he'd be living until a few weeks before he left, and it is hard to find a temporary job. Especially for an out-of-towner with a specific leave date.

As for my job now, yeah, the pay sucks, but I love it, and the opportunity for advancement is too good to pass up. Almost every current keyholder was promoted after about a year. I would love to be a manager.

4,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
is the video store you work at a nation chain? We've had people at work switch stores for various reasons. Could always ask. Or you can do as suggested & look for a job where you'll be moving. A lot of the larger stores are beginning to hire for the summer right now.
You said the job at the video store was part time, no?
Is there any way you could possibly get a second part time job to build up some more funds before you go away? Or maybe talk to your current boss about getting some more hours? Then maybe you could talk to that boss about taking a leave of absence, but you'd love to return once you move back home. If you've been there a while, you'd probably be a valuable asset to them and I'm sure they'd take you back. Always good to have someone with experience on board.

I was in a similar situation (in fact, I'm in one again). Last summer my boyfriend was working in Switzerland and asked me to go live with him for a couple months. My solution was working my a** off and making as much money as I could before I left.

Good luck with it and I hope it all works out well for you.
Elicit Trenegade
is the video store you work at a nation chain? We've had people at work switch stores for various reasons. Could always ask. Or you can do as suggested & look for a job where you'll be moving. A lot of the larger stores are beginning to hire for the summer right now.

I thought about that, but there is no guarantee there will be one in walking distance of the apartment we are given (I can't drive), and since I'd be gone for only three months I don't know if the stores would be willing to deal with the hassle of transferring an employee across state lines like that when it is only temporary. My store manager did just have a baby, so I am kind of hoping he is in a good mood when he comes back this week. I can always ask him about it, or one of the assistant managers. The female one seems to really like me, I don't think she'd be too offended if I asked about transferring for a few months - if I remember right we are her second or third store, and she will be transferring again in the Fall.
If it was me, and I loved my boyfriend, I'd probably just go with him.
I often forget about other effects.
Think about it, that's a tough decision, but you can always get a job elsewhere if you go with him.
Good luck.
<3

Chatty Conversationalist

First thing is first... find a way to have a few months free without losing your job. If you can do that, go with him anywhere you want. If you can't... then you know you shouldn't.

Thats how I'd go.
Teenage_Dropout
If it was me, and I loved my boyfriend, I'd probably just go with him.
I often forget about other effects.
Think about it, that's a tough decision, but you can always get a job elsewhere if you go with him.
Good luck.
<3

My classes are all online, so I would totally just go off with him, especially if he'd agree to pay for the things over the summer that I need my job for, but another reason I would have a hard time going is I would feel so GUILTY quitting.

I love my job. I love the people I work with. For the most part I love my customers, they are pretty easy to please, and can be quite entertaining. The pay isn't great, but it helps with the bills. And quitting when I have it so good there would just seem cheap.

Ya know?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces