Welcome to Gaia! ::

miss_baileey
Naruto Man 9
miss_baileey
It is legal in most countries, including mine. I think 21 is ridiculously over bearing.
If you think about it the biggest responsibilty anyone can have in this world is for another life, and the 'legal' age for sex is 16. How can someone EVER be responsible enough to have a child but not be responsible enough to drink alcohol. It's madness.

alcohol is diffrent then having a ******** kid it messes up your brain dumb s**t

Having a kid requires more responsibility than drinking, what I am saying, if you had read it clearly, is that if someone is responsible enough to care for another life then they should be responsible for making their own choices about drinking alcohol.
Alcohol does not always 'mess up your brain', I dont really know where you got that from. Someone could have one or two drinks and be completley fine. Dont be so ignorant and accept the bullshit you are fed.
I second that

Honestly?
Yes.
Like jacfu said a lot of kids drink alcohol because it's illegal and breaking the law is a thrill.
Take away that thrill and it won't be as enticing.

Sparkly Lunatic

14,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Object of Affection 150
I think that they should even out the legal age to do everything.. I mean in the US you can vote for who the next president is but you can't drink? seems a bit silly... (and in some states you can't gamble either)
no
otherwise congress would take away funding for major highway repairs

thats why it was made illegal until 21 in the first place
I honestly don't think it would make the slightest bit of difference.
'
I'm 16, and I've been drinking since I was 11.

Where I live, you see 8 year-olds begging for a beer.

There will always be someone over 18 willing to buy booze for younger people.

And shops willing to sell it to under-18's (I've been able to buy my own booze from 13)

Though I'm sure most under-18's here will say 'lower it!' so they can legally drink.

And most over-18's will say 'keep it the same' becuase they had to wait and want others to aswell.

Although I must say, most of my friends stopped drinking when they came of age, because it just wasn't exciting anymore.
Meh. I think that people should be able to drink at the age of 18... because if you´re old enough to go to war, you´re old enough to drink.

Dapper Pumpkin

4,575 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200
18 Is about where I draw the line. I mean it's not to say that those under 18 cant be responsible it just depends on the person. For some people it doesn't matter whether your 18 or 80 alcohol is just a bad idea.
i really don't see how this can change things.
I mean, drinking has become a trend let's see how bladdered and off my face i can get.
I understand that drinking is suppost to be for "fun" and "social occasions" i mean drinking now and again is better than drinking all the time.

I am 16 yet half the people i know like the feeling off being out of it.
i really don't see the whole appeal if i'm honest.
Though, truthfully i like to drink now and again with friends.

Also, it's not to say that people under 18 can't drink responsibly because some of them can but it is deffeating the object people from where i'm from drink as young at 10.

And also, its legal in other countries apparently for young people/ young adults to have wine with there meal isn't it?

I did hear that, but i can't exactly remember.

Alien Abductee

9,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Brandisher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Dale_Jr_Fan88
MattyIsSexOnWheels
Right, so, while I am full well aware that this could turn into a debate of its own accord, its purpose is to provide my argument (against) with ammunition for an upcoming class debate on the very issue. Im very much stuck and none of my other friends have been able to contribute anything aside from these three:

- people shouldn't be taking things to alter their state of mind/body when it isn't yet fully developed
- Reduces the risk of people going for license having easier access to alcohol - so a road safety thing
- That it alters awareness and level of judgment and that people under the age of 18 should not put themselves in so precarious a position

I would love to hear your thoughts on it, whether for or against, however biggrin

I'm against alcohol being sold to minors. They are not mature and developed enough to make conscious decisions. The fact that the age -is- 21, is set for a reason. 21 you are an adult and therefore should be treated as such. If you cannot go without a drink until you are 21, go to A.A.

The law is the law, and has been put in place due to surveys, expert opinions, and petitioners. If you are under the legal age, why do you need to drink. Why do people need to drink anyway.

P.S: For the most part, it's irresponsible teens that cause most alcohol-involved accidents. Do you want more?

i hate you god damn soccer mom gaia teen pregancy dickheads who feel they can just come into something that is a perfectly locical open debate and start telling people they need ******** help for somethig that may not even be an addiction.if you follow every law in the book,you are a fool,a tool,and a pawn.no one follows every law....laws were made to be broken...its the natural function of things you retard,if no one commited crime society couldnt function....nor could our system get hardly any funding,thus it would creat a chaotic form of anarchy,because once the system fell there would be no laws to follow and therefore mindless drones lie you would go all heat of the moment status...and besides people are such corrupt little entities that you will never have a society without unjust actions anyway,some laws are based upon false pretences...ur just retarded making a statement like that and i hope you ******** die you fish smellin biotch.

Witty Prophet

11,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Mark Twain 100
No, end of story.

Dapper Humorist

Its illegle here but its never kept alcohol out of my hands.
they might as well lower it
kids are getting it from when they're about 11 anyway |:

Angelic Phantom

I think that alcohol could be sold to those under 18 if the views of alcohol by society were to change. For example, the legal drinking age in some European countries is much lower than that of the United States or even my country, Canada. And, the people there have a healthier view of alcohol; instead of it being the "forbidden fruit", they have access to it, so there's no point to go and get wasted every chance they get their hands on it. They know their limits and stick to them for the most part. In a way, I was brought up like this, with a glass of wine at dinner every once in a while, as young as seven (as far as I know, family traditions as such under the careful supervision of parents and in tiny amounts is completely legal). The first time I was drunk I was 18 and legal, and I can count the number of times since then, and it's been less than ten (I'm 22, btw... on average 2 times a year).

Without feeling the desire to experience something forbidden, I've kept a pretty level head about alcohol. I drink once every three months or so in a social situation, and I only get drunk at specific events with my teammates (fun, celebratory events, where part of the goals of the night is to be drunk... and then try to play some mind games that inevitably fail but get funny results).

Anyways, due to certain strong values and views in North American society (excluding Quebec), I would not recommend lowering the drinking age below 18 until (if ever) these views change to accommodate a more open and accepting response to alcohol and much, much less of the forbidden fruit syndrome. Heh, or sub-18 year olds can just take a trip to Quebec, where the views are all about "la joie de vie", a culture quite different from English Canada (though muchly important to Canada's identity).

I think a lot of the way that this society views alcohol has to do with its history... and all that prohibition jazz that affected us in the early 1900's...
They'd abuse it.
~ I am not too sure, I mean our USA has had this law for a while. And if they did legalize it, it would be catastrophic! In other countries they can handle their liqour better because they grew up being able to drink. And as far as I seen Americans usually become angry assholes after drinking too much. When Europeans drink they sing in arms and become gay *happy*

I don't think it would be a good idea.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces