Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Phantom

I want to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Self-Harm:
What do you think about people who do it?
Have you done it? If so, why?

Suicide:
What do you think about people who've tried it, but failed?
How about people who succeeded?
Do you think it's "cowardly"? Why?
Have you wanted to commit suicide? Did you attempt it?

Questions aside, I have both cut and attempted suicide. Recently, I've started wanting to cut due to a morbid fascination. It's like I'm obsessed with it. Not self-hate or anything. I just like the blood and the cuts for some weird ******** reason. I'm not sure if that's sociopathy or what. Some people are very into blood/mutilation, and don't do it because of self-hate. They get off on it somehow. I am curious to understand those people better, so I can better understand my own situation.

I don't think suicide is cowardly. It is the scariest thing in the world to want to kill yourself. First, life feels so bad, yes, you want an escape. But that escape is a plunge into the unknown. No matter HOW much you believe in God, you don't know what will happen. The pain is so bad, really, you don't CARE what happens. You just want something to change, and you feel like all your Earthy resources are useless. I do not think people who attempt suicide are cowards. I think they are really desperate and don't know where to turn. They feel like whatever is wrong, can never be fixed or remedied. It's not about patience or maturity. It's that they truly cannot see it getting better, even with time. They feel victimized or thwarted.

I welcome all opinions on the subject, but if I see anyone harassing someone who self-harms or has self-harmed, I will report you and block you. This is your warning.

Aged Regular

1))
a) I don't make opinions until I know the facts. Everyone has their different reasons.
b) Yes, and I still do. It's pleasurable, and I do it in places nobody can see. So, why the ******** not?

2))
a) See previous answer a.
b) Good for them.
c) Not at all. I think it's exceedingly brave.
d) Yes. Yes.

Dangerous Regular

That's not sociopathy at all. At worst, it's an obsession. That said, in my opinion, the only real reason to hurt yourself is in an effort to make yourself stronger. For example, I found some pure lemon extract, the stuff that really makes your face contort when you drink it, and I've been putting a drop in my eye every now and again. Ideally, this will show me what pepper spray is like, so I'll be prepared if someone tries using it on me.
I don't think it's cowardly, but I think it's weak. In the face of adversity, a strong person will bounce back- the more adversity you can bounce back from, the stronger you are. Suicide is the ultimate expression of weakness.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

Self-Harm:
-They either use it as a legit coping mechanism or do it for attention.

-Nope. If I'm going to do something against my body it'll be killing myself.

Suicide:
-See it as an opportunity to try to improve your life.

-It sucks, really.

-Used to. I've had many stances regarding it. I've thought people were cowards and were selfish by doing it, but as I started to get suicidal myself, God I feel how it is. I don't really want anyone to have those thoughts ever.

-Yes. Attempted no, planned it several times. I have plenty of time to off myself if I wanted to. The thought of it crosses my mind almost everyday, and sometimes I hit rock bottom and just, the drive and desperation gets me to really dark things I didn't think I could ever think of, but I don't do it because I feel like I'm not ready to die yet. It's like a contrast. On one hand I want to off myself, but deep down inside I'm just scared and I don't really wanna die. That doesn't stop me from getting those thoughts every so often. Writing on my diary has helped, though.

Hellraiser

I don't have a negative opinion.
I do think it's too common though.

Hopeful Bookworm

Self-Harm:
I do not control the choices of others, so those whom I do not know I do not have an opinion of them, I do not know them. If they're friend I feel guilty for not helping them as much as they needed.

I sometimes pinch myself when I feel guilty? I'm not sure if it counts?

Suicide:
Only in news, I've been fortunate. I think that it is a gift to them to start over, or to move on.

I think that is was their time and now they're in a much better place.

I have no meet anyone who has done so, but I think that if it's because of bullying at a young age I do think it's a bit cowardly, because they have so much time to improve or to work out their problems.

Hm, not really.Sometimes when I feel bad I wish to disappear for a few hours... no I have not.

I hope you remain as strong as you can ^^

Dapper Phantom

Roman Raskolnikov
They want attention really badly. Really badly.
And the ones who hide it/don't tell anyone?

Quote:
Suicide:

They're pretty incompetent and likely don't actually want to die
How about situations where their plan seemed foolproof? I know a girl who downed TWO entire bottles of pain medication and washed it down with a bottle of Vodka and she lived.

Quote:
If you want to say it's the 'easy' way out or whatever, I'm inclined to think you're a moron.
That is not what I've said, it's what I've heard others say.

Dapper Phantom

Admiral Absurd
1))
a) I don't make opinions until I know the facts. Everyone has their different reasons.
b) Yes, and I still do. It's pleasurable, and I do it in places nobody can see. So, why the ******** not?

2))
a) See previous answer a.
b) Good for them.
c) Not at all. I think it's exceedingly brave.
d) Yes. Yes.
So you cut for pleasure? Would you describe it as masochistic?
My curiosity/urge is not necessarily sexually erotic as much as some weird rise I get out of it. Plus my overall blood obsession.
Self-Harm:

To eliminate the thought that makes them feel depressed.
I did, I thought it was cool at the time. Well it wasn't actual cutting, it was eraser burns...
Boredom in class.

Suicide:

It's a good thing they failed, though they need to seek professional help.
It's not right to do that.
Yes - They are running away from their troubles. There are ways to get away without having to kill yourself. It might take money or actual more guts to run away from the problem then it would with killing yourself.
No - No.

Dapper Phantom

The Spellslinger
That's not sociopathy at all. At worst, it's an obsession. That said, in my opinion, the only real reason to hurt yourself is in an effort to make yourself stronger. For example, I found some pure lemon extract, the stuff that really makes your face contort when you drink it, and I've been putting a drop in my eye every now and again. Ideally, this will show me what pepper spray is like, so I'll be prepared if someone tries using it on me.
I don't think it's cowardly, but I think it's weak. In the face of adversity, a strong person will bounce back- the more adversity you can bounce back from, the stronger you are. Suicide is the ultimate expression of weakness.
So it's NOT the same as wanting to do it to other people/animals. It's not sociopathy or anything if I like the idea of self-mutilation? I'm just trying to understand what this would be categorized as.

Putting lemon extract in your eye can actually cause permanent damage. I would recommend manning up and actually running through pepper spray like they do in the military if you are trying to build a "resistance". The truth is that you can never become immune to it but you can learn how to breathe through it. It will always burn like hell. And it irritates everything-- your lungs and skin included-- not just your eyes.

I don't necessarily see suicide as weakness. Like I said, it takes a lot of courage to kill yourself.

Ferocious Pumpkin

I want to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Self-Harm:
I think they're being idiotic. Self harm is like putting salt on a wound. Pain on top of pain to mask the pain. Two wrongs don't make a right. Two negatives don't make a positive... just a bigger negative.

Yep. I was stupid and in a cycle of depression and self-sabotage.

Suicide:
They're incredibly selfish and ignorant. They ignore those who are there for them. Pretend as if they don't exist. As if they're the only ******** person on this planet.

It better have been worth it.

Not cowardly, but weak. Weak because a person refuses to take control of their life. Refuses to accept reality.

Yes. No.

You're just kinky. There are people out there that have blood fetishes.

I welcome all opinions on the subject, but if I see anyone harassing someone who self-harms or has self-harmed, I will report you and block you. This is your warning.

Dapper Phantom

Indie Damsel
There are ways to get away without having to kill yourself. It might take money or actual more guts to run away from the problem then it would with killing yourself.
This, I feel, is a common misconception. MANY problems cannot be fixed. Ever. There is no solution. For instance, my transsexuality. I cannot go back, and be born male. I will never, in my life, have a proper functioning p***s. And, that will ALWAYS bother me. So many times, I turned to self-harm and I attempted suicide a couple times. I wasn't incompetent or a coward. My body's natural urge to survive would prevent me. I'd get ******** up, but I wouldn't be able to finish the job. I'd get exhausted, physically and emotionally. The fact is, I can never fully fix my problem. The only answer is coping, and acceptance. Not everyone can do that.

Greedy Receiver

Self-Harm:

I feel for anyone who feels the need to harm themselves from depression to desperation and anywhere in between. I have always been involved in helping people find the help and assistance they need, whether it was through school or outside in the real world.

I have not.

Suicide:

I do honestly find those who attempt suicide to be selfish in the sense that I believe there are enough resources out there to seek assistance and to get the help you need. Whether it’s by talking to a family member, a friend, your doctor, a boss, a fellow employee, et cetera, there are outlets, numbers to contact, and so on. I cannot drive down the road without coming across a billboard with the suicide hotline number on it.

But in the same sense, I am happy that they survived so that they can hopefully get the assistance that they need. There is no reason to give up so soon on life. It’s difficult, it can suck a** sometimes, but when you finally reach a spot where you have accomplished something and it’s where you want to be then it’s simply amazing.

Besides, more often than not, the desire to kill oneself is a chemical imbalance anyway. If the imbalance is corrected then it’s a significantly high chance the individual would never attempt it to begin with.

I don’t know the full story of their lives, so I can be prejudgmental and consider it selfish. Same reasons as explained above. It sucks to hear that someone did manage to succeed. It makes me wish I could have done something if I have known.

I don’t think cowardice is the word because the person committing the action is normally not in their right mind or emotional state to begin with. Typically, when one suffers from depression and suicidal tendencies, they suffer from a chemical imbalance of the brain that pretty much disables their need for self-preservation. So it’s not cowardice and neither is it bravery, it’s the actions of a mentally crippled individual who honestly probably wouldn’t have done it if they were in their right state of mind.

Nope and nope.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces