Welcome to Gaia! ::

ectogasm
Mega Lya
ectogasm

Oh for sure, and before self harm I didn't understand, thought negatively of people who did it but that was wrong because now I'm going through it and I have a better grasp on the subject. The majority of my thoughts were mostly concerned with the pain level of it.
How long have you been dealing with this kind of stuff?
I had the same exact view. I thought they could "just stop." how very wrong I was.

I have been dealing with it for about two years now. My first time doing it was September of *thinks* 2010. But I really started doing it more often in January of 2011.

Can't know until you deal with it.
How naive I was :c

Oh wow, and I thought 6 months was a long time.
half a year
Although, I had the thought in the back of my head to do it when I was younger.
Time kinda slips by. I didn't realize I had struggled with it for so long.

6 months of having struggled with this is a LONG time though, ecto. It's hard to feel so down.. *hugs

Hygenic Smoker

Mega Lya

I give u mad props for this
And I respect u alot for doin this for those that need the help <3
If u dont mind PMing me a banner soo that i may put it on my profile and have other friends do the same i would love to help u out with this <3
lost in the beat
Mega Lya

If u dont mind PMing me a banner soo that i may put it on my profile and have other friends do the same i would love to help u out with this <3
Yes!! wink I will PM you it and maybe even add it to here also for others. I need to work on making others xD I just made a lame one so far.

Hygenic Smoker

Mega Lya
lost in the beat
Mega Lya

Yes!! wink I will PM you it and maybe even add it to here also for others. I need to work on making others xD I just made a lame one so far.
x3 Awesome <3 Keep up the amazing work :3
I have a question. In some of your distractions it mentions pretending to have a self-inflicted wound when you didn't harm yourself. How does this even help? It is like an alcoholic running around pretending to be drunk to get better.

I don't get how the rubber band method works either because I just snap it till my entire forearm is swollen. I have scars from rubber bands.
i actualy created a facebook page just for people who need someone to talk to etc.

Love never stops. go ahead and check it out
Immediate symptom
I have a question. In some of your distractions it mentions pretending to have a self-inflicted wound when you didn't harm yourself. How does this even help? It is like an alcoholic running around pretending to be drunk to get better.

I don't get how the rubber band method works either because I just snap it till my entire forearm is swollen. I have scars from rubber bands.
You mean marking yourself with red?
Sometimes the red marking helps distract people--it looks like blood, that's what some people need.
Mega Lya
Immediate symptom

Sometimes the red marking helps distract people--it looks like blood, that's what some people need.

Yes marking your self with red. Also the link you provided details much more elaborate ways to fake and injury. I don't understand how pretending you're hurting yourself will make you stop from hurting yourself in the long run.
Immediate symptom
Mega Lya
Immediate symptom

Yes marking your self with red. Also the link you provided details much more elaborate ways to fake and injury. I don't understand how pretending you're hurting yourself will make you stop from hurting yourself in the long run.
It didn't help in the long run for me--but it could for other people. Distractions could also be, if you want to hurt yourself that badly, finding the one thing that can distract you long enough till the urge goes away.
im a gynecologist
Mega Lya
Incinerated Innocence
Mega Lya
Incinerated Innocence
Yay, I love this thread! ^_^ As a self harmer of 3-4 years, I totally love that people are more comfortable talking about it in some situations. By the way, there's a massive list of distractions which I find really useful here so maybe you could link to it in the distractions post? :3
Yeah, I will go ahead and link that one also! That one seems very helpful ^_^

I think the more "known" self harm becomes, the easier it will be for people to receive help. It's nothing to be ashamed about. We all struggle with things 3nodding

Yay! Glad I could help :3

I completely agree. There shouldn't be a stigma around it, it's a symptom. That's like people judging those who cough because they have the flu - it's pointless, stupid, and won't get you anywhere.
Exactly!! The self-harm isn't the real problem--it's what's causing us to self-harm that is what we have to work on. People think self-harm is easy to stop. I used to believe the same thing. I didn't understand why people would do it, until I struggled myself, and now it completely makes sense, unfortunately. It's how people cope.
But self-harm is a good choice? Maybe if you want attention so people hear you cry, 'Woe, me!'
If I made self harm seem like a good choice--no, it's not. But, my counselor, and many, many people have said it's better to draw on yourself w/ a red pen, snap a rubber band, or hold ice in your hand instead of cutting. I am sure if someone snaps a rubber band or holds ice in their hand until they actually get hurt (instead of just stinging or numbness from the snap/cold) then it can be considered self harm and that's not good.

Hellraiser

Mega Lya
ectogasm
Mega Lya
ectogasm

Oh for sure, and before self harm I didn't understand, thought negatively of people who did it but that was wrong because now I'm going through it and I have a better grasp on the subject. The majority of my thoughts were mostly concerned with the pain level of it.
How long have you been dealing with this kind of stuff?
I had the same exact view. I thought they could "just stop." how very wrong I was.

I have been dealing with it for about two years now. My first time doing it was September of *thinks* 2010. But I really started doing it more often in January of 2011.

Can't know until you deal with it.
How naive I was :c

Oh wow, and I thought 6 months was a long time.
half a year
Although, I had the thought in the back of my head to do it when I was younger.
Time kinda slips by. I didn't realize I had struggled with it for so long.

6 months of having struggled with this is a LONG time though, ecto. It's hard to feel so down.. *hugs

Time definitely goes by fast, way too fast.
I didn't realize it was going by either, "Oh, only a few months." turning into half a year.

Now it's not so much the act, it's the thought.
And now people are going to come in here, thinking we are here for attention.
Call us whatever you like, it's not going to change our situation and if it does, it could make it worse. But it won't effect me in any way, tis the internet.
ectogasm

Time definitely goes by fast, way too fast.
I didn't realize it was going by either, "Oh, only a few months." turning into half a year.

Now it's not so much the act, it's the thought.
And now people are going to come in here, thinking we are here for attention.
Call us whatever you like, it's not going to change our situation and if it does, it could make it worse. But it won't effect me in any way, tis the internet.
The thought is what's detrimental. It takes over everything--in a sense. Once we are triggered, it is so exhausting simply to defeat it, you know?

It's hard for people to understand self-harm in general. They don't understand why we do it and why we can't "just stop" I never understood it either until I went through it myself--I don't blame them or anything. It's probably just a maturity thing in some of them too.... because what if they have a child one day and they self harm? They're not going to tell their kid to "go and just die," or anything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff