Welcome to Gaia! ::

School is an extremely unhealthy lifestyle, hear me out.

Due to a midterm examination in my Ancient Egyptian and Near Eastern Archaeology class and also translations from Latin into English, I have lost two nights of sleep.

This is my third night not sleeping, due to an essay needing to be written and handed in, in less than five hours.

It is not as if I receive this work ahead of time. Dump-loading homework onto university students does occur, and I do believe any other university student can agree (well, if they're in a good university).

My solution is that we need mandatory homework days where no classes are scheduled. Weekends do not count because many of us work in order to survive.

Silverware:

-the unhealthy life of students
-homework loads that are ridiculous
-excessive consumption of ramen
I usually have nightmares about going to school, or being late >:<
I'm so sorry to hear that you're having problems because of school...Here they gave a law that said:"No homework during vacations". I guess that's really good for me, because I'm in the 8th grade and I have to learn a lot this semester to get good grades so I can go to a good high school...And I'm kind of sick of all those long reviews that I have to write at literature class...But, someone has to do it >_<
I hadn't slept for two days doing a 5 page essay that was assigned to me after being falsely accused of being manipulative with teachers. stressed Makes me PISSED. Then on the third day- Monday, my skin freaked out.
I'm at a pretty good public university. My teachers provide me with syllabuses at the start of the term. I know when all my exams are scheduled and when all papers are due. I don't find it to be a problem, as I can plan busy weeks out ahead of time. If I see I have two midterms and an essay due in one week, I write the paper beforehand and use the weekend to study. I only pull one all-nighter every semester, and that's usually finals week. Also, I have all my classes scheduled Monday-Thursday, so I get Friday-Sunday to study and prepare for the week. I'm a senior and taking 18 credit hours. I get very, very high marks.

I'm sorry that your classes don't provide syllabuses. You should find a university that does. It's a handy tool.
Tell me about it. :[
I spent my first semester at this hardcore art school. Each teacher would give us loads of homework and say, "Well I don't give as much as other teachers." But they never thought that each teacher was still giving us a buttload of homework. @____@
On top of that, two of my classes each week were seven hours long. And they were only worth three credit hours.
It was very common for me to stay up for four days at a time at least every other week. Working on project after project and paper after paper. It was insane! I couldnt handle it. I was breaking down. I cried for no reason, hallucinated frequently (due to lack of sleep), got horrible migranes that nothing could help, and I once realized that I had completely forgotten to eat for three or four days.
I talked to some of my fellow students and all they said was , "Oh, it's just the first year program. You'll be fine." I talked to my teachers. They told me I needed to manage my time better. What time did I have? I was working on projects and assignments every moment I was out of class with exception to the 15 minute walk between the buildings and my dorm rooms.
Finally, I tried my free sessions with the school psychologist, who pretty much told me the same thing as my peers and teachers. I gave up and transferred to a different school.
Now, I commute into the city rather than live in the dorms, and I still have free time to just sit and relax. -___-
Garmfay
I hadn't slept for two days doing a 5 page essay that was assigned to me after being falsely accused of being manipulative with teachers. stressed Makes me PISSED. Then on the third day- Monday, my skin freaked out.

LOL Eye of Water, I have a verbatim over the break. That means, I get to take apart every Latin word in a sentence and give all of its information and how it is working in the sentence.

Five pages? That's not too bad, but short notice is not good.
Clever idea. I'd like to see that put into effect just to know if it would work.

Universitys do put a heavy load on, and usually for 2 reasons.

1) Many universitys are TRYING to fail some people out. It sounds strange, but I've talked to some ex-profs who swear to it.

2) Getting you ready to take the load. Chances are, you're going to encounter this situation in work later in life. Now you know you can handle it.

Just make sure to use you're spare time to the fullest.
Tuxedo Avenger
Clever idea. I'd like to see that put into effect just to know if it would work.

Universitys do put a heavy load on, and usually for 2 reasons.

1) Many universitys are TRYING to fail some people out. It sounds strange, but I've talked to some ex-profs who swear to it.

2) Getting you ready to take the load. Chances are, you're going to encounter this situation in work later in life. Now you know you can handle it.

Just make sure to use you're spare time to the fullest.

Aye, there are thirty people in my department out of 15 thousand students. We can't afford to lost any of us, they want to get rid of us as it is.

I have to become a professional insomniac if I ever want my PhD XD

A day off would be nice. Wednesday should be the new Friday.
School does deprive a lot of sleep. I have to stay up to at least 12:00 a night to get my homework done on time. Pisses me off. The mandatory homework day idea is a good one there In media res, Kudos.

8,400 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Unfortunately, most of life involves unhealthy lifestyles in order to manage. It's really a somewhat harsh and unforgiving society in many ways. It's all on the individual whether they manage or not and the safety net is relatively minimal. We don't really look out for our citizens the way we should (at least where I am).

Dainty Doll

Not really.

Having no proper education is more detremental to your lifestyle.

Quote:
It is not as if I receive this work ahead of time. Dump-loading homework onto university students does occur, and I do believe any other university student can agree (well, if they're in a good university).

Actually, that sounds like a pretty shitty university to me.

When I was at university, at the beginning of every semester we were given a module plan, that detailed all of the up-coming major assignments, and when they were due in.

Mind you, I did go to a British university, and our standard of education is significantly higher than the American.
Tute Sweet, I wonder if at your university, there weren't any unexpected situation, than ruined your schedule?
I study computer science at a Polish university, and as far as I know the education standards in that field in my country aren't low. Still I had to switch universities due to my health. I used to have lessons from 8am to 8pm with few hour long breaks in the meantime. And both the lectures and the tutorials were only time eaters, I had to learn all the things at home. After one term I had problems with my heart.
My new university is much more student friendly and suddenly I became one of the best students (the funny thing is that both universities are said to be equally good). But still at the end of the term I had to study a lot. Maybe I wasn't sleep deprived, but even simple scamming through my notes to revise all the things I should know for the tests and the exams took whole afternoon and most of the evening.
I'm not talking here about inappropriate time management, or lack or information. It is just, how things are in some countries. In Poland a university student hardly has to do anything for most of the term, and suddenly in the last two weeks there are tests from each and every single subject.
If it is different in Great Britain, then all of you are really lucky.

P.S. I'm sorry if my English is sometimes hard to understand, it is a foreign language to me.
Tute Sweet
Not really.

Having no proper education is more detremental to your lifestyle.

Quote:

Actually, that sounds like a pretty shitty university to me.

When I was at university, at the beginning of every semester we were given a module plan, that detailed all of the up-coming major assignments, and when they were due in.

Mind you, I did go to a British university, and our standard of education is significantly higher than the American.

Thanks for assuming that I am American! I am not American.

We do receive syllabi, however, that does not stop professors from giving out extra work every week. Surprise tests, extra translations, extra essays, in every class piled up on you within a short period of time...fun stuff.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff