Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tell that to people who need to believe in something to keep themselves stable and going.

Then try to take it away and see what happens.
Ryan XIV
Nightingail90
I personally am not that religious- in the traditional sense of the world with a canonized set of a god or gods, specific customs and revered people and stories (written or not) etc.

Religion can do people a lot of good though. It does create a sense of belonging. I've known of a few people who only regularly go to church because they have a good social group there and people they've known for years or even decades. That kind of social system is really powerful at least. I'm consdering joining a Unitarian Universalist church for that reason.

Religion can be a powerful force on a personal level. But that's the thing it IS something personal and should not be forced upon other people- nor should violence arise from differences in religious dogma. Sad to say there's been violence in the name of almost every religion.... including staunch atheism. People should believe what they want!

For terms of specifics in my 'religion', I'm still figuring that out. Perhaps it's to know the world and its people/creations as much as possible. It's such an impossible quest really. But it's something I can integrate into my life- whether it's doing a youth exchange or studying abroad or trying to learn different languages and histories, or simply spending time with friends, it's so easy to integrate this into daily life. Sure there's so much that I will never know (hehe I made a "Pond Theory" talking about that. I'll explain that if anyone asks later) but still isn't there unknown in most religions?

Technically, 'science' is a large part of my faith because I and much of the rest of my culture accepts most facts without checking themselves. Do I know that the moon rotates even though I just see it getting bigger and smaller? Nope, I trust the 'experts', modern sages if you will. Its definitely a faith- and one that changes more rapidly than most. There's something to think about...
When and where were athiests violent?

Under Stalin, perhaps? Or maybe more Lenin? Some persecution or religion... although it was complex/complicated... Whether it was done in the name of atheism or Christianity or any other religion, I don't think people's beliefs should be persecuted unless they are harming others *shrug*
Nightingail90
Ryan XIV
Nightingail90
I personally am not that religious- in the traditional sense of the world with a canonized set of a god or gods, specific customs and revered people and stories (written or not) etc.

Religion can do people a lot of good though. It does create a sense of belonging. I've known of a few people who only regularly go to church because they have a good social group there and people they've known for years or even decades. That kind of social system is really powerful at least. I'm consdering joining a Unitarian Universalist church for that reason.

Religion can be a powerful force on a personal level. But that's the thing it IS something personal and should not be forced upon other people- nor should violence arise from differences in religious dogma. Sad to say there's been violence in the name of almost every religion.... including staunch atheism. People should believe what they want!

For terms of specifics in my 'religion', I'm still figuring that out. Perhaps it's to know the world and its people/creations as much as possible. It's such an impossible quest really. But it's something I can integrate into my life- whether it's doing a youth exchange or studying abroad or trying to learn different languages and histories, or simply spending time with friends, it's so easy to integrate this into daily life. Sure there's so much that I will never know (hehe I made a "Pond Theory" talking about that. I'll explain that if anyone asks later) but still isn't there unknown in most religions?

Technically, 'science' is a large part of my faith because I and much of the rest of my culture accepts most facts without checking themselves. Do I know that the moon rotates even though I just see it getting bigger and smaller? Nope, I trust the 'experts', modern sages if you will. Its definitely a faith- and one that changes more rapidly than most. There's something to think about...

Under Stalin, perhaps? Or maybe more Lenin? Some persecution or religion... although it was complex/complicated... Whether it was done in the name of atheism or Christianity or any other religion, I don't think people's beliefs should be persecuted unless they are harming others *shrug*
That s**t was under Stalin? Oh s**t I didn't know that. Now when someone says something about the crusades I can say what about Stalin. Thanks for this info 3nodding
Kuzami_BloodLine
I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins
and that he loves everyone just the wat they are blaugh 4laugh 3nodding

User Image
i am christian.

but i believe that the big bang may have happened, not saying for sure, but if it did i think something greater caused it. same for evolution
kira753
i am christian.

but i believe that the big bang may have happened, not saying for sure, but if it did i think something greater caused it. same for evolution

Something like:
User Image

cat faced killa's Fangirl

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
You're referring to religion and not just theism, right?

For theistic beliefs, I definitely believe in God.

My religious (governing) views aren't completely set in stone, since Christian denominations can't even agree with each other.
pidgezero_one
You're referring to religion and not just theism, right?

For theistic beliefs, I definitely believe in God.

My religious (governing) views aren't completely set in stone, since Christian denominations can't even agree with each other.
thats why im nondenominational. i believe in bits of different christianities

Atheist.

Until I see proof of anything supernatural, at all, I will stay that way.
Ryan XIV
Nightingail90
Ryan XIV
Nightingail90

That s**t was under Stalin? Oh s**t I didn't know that. Now when someone says something about the crusades I can say what about Stalin. Thanks for this info 3nodding

Atheists were not violent under Stalin. He was an Atheist and a psychopath. It's not like he had an army of godless nonbelievers to do his bidding. He was just like any other dictator. He gave the order, and people were killed.
arabic people really want to have all those virgins when they die since they smell so bad and stuff that they dont really get to have a girlfiernd

thats why they bother to be islamic
Capricornie
arabic people really want to have all those virgins when they die since they smell so bad and stuff that they dont really get to have a girlfiernd

thats why they bother to be islamic
What the ********?! Go be ******** racist and stupid somewhere else. Your stupid a** comments aren't funny.

cat faced killa's Fangirl

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
Ockhams Razor
Ryan XIV
Nightingail90
Ryan XIV
Nightingail90

Atheists were not violent under Stalin. He was an Atheist and a psychopath. It's not like he had an army of godless nonbelievers to do his bidding. He was just like any other dictator. He gave the order, and people were killed.
Didn't Stalin believe that religion was an obstacle, and was it not one of his objectives to overcome it?
I've been exposed to religion my whole life. School nativity plays, those things I went to after school when I was little during the lead up weeks to christmas to celebrate some guy being born. And those religion classes in school.

Not cus my parents believe or anything... they're at most agnostics but mroe tahn anything they just dont waste their time giving it too much thought.

I realised at age hmm.. I'm gonna guess anywhere from about 8-10, that I was mortal, that one day I would become like my Grandy.

It was the scariest damned thing I'd ever experienced at that point in my life, I burst itno tears and told my mother I didn't want to die.

=

And so I think I just..killed the thought for a long time.... then I started to really investigate stuff in my mind more and once again remembered *cue meurled up into the foetal position in bed*

For a while..from about 10-13 I dunno.. but I drifted into christianity..said my prayers every night..went to youth club on fridays... and for a while I got into it until the internet came in and I started looking aroun myself a bit more and lo and behold cynicism entered with the understanding that humans are just animals, that feelings are just chemicals and that choice is merely an illusion created by our sense of-
yeah lets not go to far...

ahem.. so I became an agnostic experimenting in buddhism and ofcourse the customary dabbling in wicca which when I'm feeling the right way I still do a few of the things that made me feel all "empowered" (dont snigger damnit) and you know what when I'm doing it I believe it jsut enough to hope there is soemthing else rather than just wish.

Between that stuff was the sudden angry "hardcore athiest" OUTTA MY WAY YOU PRIMITIVE CHRISTIAN/"INSERT RELIGION INVOLVING DEATH AVOIDING FEATS HERE"
Basically every friend I made who happened to have a belief system which I saw as a pathetci mental crutch for yet another example of someone unable to cope with the reality of death, I argued with them.

I argued with a few who were not so great at arguing..and a few who completley steam rolled me and I thought it was great cus they were gonna have to hold their own in a world taht increasingly worships science and reality. Which are not as fulfilling as the thought that one day you and your family and friends will spend eternity together in some form of afterlife or another. (can I jsut say also..71 virgins for an eternity? <_<...do they stay virgins forever cus..well..71 virgins versus eternity..anyway just thought I'd ask..)

So..I got to the point where eventually I feared giving in to believing in a god cus I really really really do envy the purpose it can give people..if a rather blind adoring purpose..(yeah haven't quite gotten the condescending thing out of my system yet)
..Then one time I jsut decided I'd try to believe cus it'd be plaguing me forever otherwise...
and I couldn't...

O_o' I was like.. ok..so you wake up and the world suddenly belives that Harry Potter is completley true and that infact it's being hidden from us..<_< You are the only one who is pretty damned sure this is not true and so you try vainly to explain why it isn't "...why the hell would they publish a book about it if they didn't want us to know?!" ..and you get "It's a smoke screen, the original entries into the world have been erased and the people who revealed it to all us muggles have been obliviated so they cant ever tell anyone how to gain entry into their world or give any substantial evidence as to its existance"

"...wtf?"

<_< This is what I've experienced with religion.
I'd like to believe because life is pretty damned empty being an Athiest and an athiest that dosn't believe in free will at that either, but I cant and I do feel good that in the end the part that still believes in something like a core self or a "soul" if you must, also wants to believe that it is having the balls to acknowledge that it's going to die and that it's existance dosn't mean anything...it jsut happened and thats the end of it.

Oh and the final thought to end this rather verbose...thing.. -_-' god I wish I could be succint and to the point:

If it's all just cause and effect then take some joy in knowing that when you farted the other day, the whole universe had been leading up to that moment for hundreds of billions of years...

mrgreen
Some studies suggest that their is actually a "God" part to the brain.
Its kind of like a natural defense mechanism. It helps people cope.
So, basically its nature's little white lie.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff