Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Gaian

1,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
I guess every generation has it's sub-cultures, and while I draw furry/anthros I think 'being one' is a bit ott lol.

Dangerous Loiterer

1) Mostly because it's the Internet, and it allows for a degree of anonymity — and, thus, the ability
          to take on a persona and adopt it as a representation of yourself. I don't try and bring my interest
          in the Furry community into real life in any way (although I really, really would like a fursuit of any
          kind because they look awesome as hell), and I don't consider my wolf fursona my 'spirit animal'. I
          like him because I designed his appearance and his personality for roleplaying and as a filler character
          for my writing, not because I thought he in any way was part of me — in fact, I designed him in
          such a way that he is almost the exact opposite of me, but which I can use to represent me in the
          Furry community.

2) I don't really know how to answer this, because it's hard to accurately tell which parts of me
          have benefitted from the Furry community exclusively. I think any part of me that has seen a
          change over the years has mostly been because of the Internet's influence in general rather than of
          the Furry community. I do, however, attribute my skills in art and my improvement over the past
          few years to the practice I've had drawing anthros.

3) I don't see why not, as long as in the future it doesn't become even more stigmatised. Just as I
          don't hide my Furriness when my friends ask me, I wouldn't hide it from my family if they asked.
          I've never tried to hide the anthro art I've done from a really early age, so I suspect they have an
          inkling. I'm not involved in the sexual side of the fandom, so I don't have anything to fear.

Noob

I always thought that furries had sex with their pets.
YourMyAll_

crying that would be Bestiality...now I have hear of Furrys that have...relationships with their pets but that would be a small number and by no means forms the whole group...and take no offense in this statement but that comment would be like someone say, and by no means do I truly mean this, " I though all black were in gangs."

Noob

Nightsound
YourMyAll_

crying that would be Bestiality...now I have hear of Furrys that have...relationships with their pets but that would be a small number and by no means forms the whole group...and take no offense in this statement but that comment would be like someone say, and by no means do I truly mean this, " I though all black were in gangs."

But furries normally talk about ******** dogs and cats with other people in this kind of way. So I kind of thought that if someone with a cat persona would ******** their cat. Not all black people talk about being in gangs.
I got banned from like 5 chats by asking that question until someone finally answered it.

Loiterer

YourMyAll_

But furries normally talk about ******** dogs and cats with other people in this kind of way. So I kind of thought that if someone with a cat persona would ******** their cat. Not all black people talk about being in gangs.
I got banned from like 5 chats by asking that question until someone finally answered it.
User ImageWhile some furries are into bestiality, a lot of times if someone is saying they want to have a relationship with a cat, they mean they want a relationship with a person who has the fursona of a cat.

Dedicated Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
X-Intercept II
I have a few questions I would like answered by furries. Here we go:

1. You say that being a furry is about identifying with the animal you think represents you best, but why is it that you take it one step further and make a lifestyle out of it? I could say that a cat is my spirit animal but I'm not going to go out and make a suit out of it or put a name to my cat persona so what is it exactly that instigates you to become a furry?

2. How does being a furry benefit you? Besides being part of a sub-culture that shares the same traits as you, how does being a furry bring you greater life benefits?

3. When you are on your deathbed and perhaps you've had some kids or you have grandkids, will you think back to this part of your life? Would you let being a furry define you so much you tell your family about it? "I used to be a furry" or "I was part of this Internet sub-culture called furdom."

I guess other users can post questions for furries here too.

I am not a furry but I can answer these questions as I am familiar with cultures.

1. Its not so much that. Its like "I like cartoon animals." Or "I like cute looking animals things." or whatever. The whole lifestyle thing came about by accident really. It was like a perfect storm of weirdness. There really was (is) a legit fandom associated with Anthro art, it just got really really freaky really really fast thanks to the internet. Anime fandom is very similar, in fact they are pretty much one in the same, both having weaboos of sorts. Suit making is a hobby into itself. As a whole, I don't want to make sweeping generalizations but It may be fair to say that Anthro art tends to look out for "The Cute" as a form of universal aesthetic. This includes the fetish art and various other occasionally eyeball melting works.

2. I believe most furries are furries because they identify with other artists with the same interest. Most are however much more dynamic than people realize.

3. This is hilarious because quite honestly most 'grow out of it' so to speak. The only really hardcore people stick around in spirit because they are either polarizing community organizers or they find they sub-group of friends within the fandom and just stick with those people. OR they stick around because they become professionals in their given art.

Sexuality in the fandom is overblown. Unless you take offense to awkward fetish art. Which quite honestly is rather otherworldly and disturbing when you realize that people really do get.. aroused by it. Then again, worse things are posted on 4chan daily so.. yeah. I don't know why people ever complained about it.

EDIT: Also beastiality in the fandom is very rare, so much in fact that it is a non-issue nowadays given they are pretty much kicked out of the fandom if they do it openly.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
There is a level of this that I can handle. Being cute in some fur s**t is okay(cat ears and other cutesy stuff.
But believing you are a dog and barking at me is going to make me want to punch you.

I don't like crazy furfantic people. They give me the creeps.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff