Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Lil Enslaved Kitten
SelfMadeOrphan
My best friend and roommate has PTSD. I thought I'd come in here and get myself acquainted with some of the regulars. Couldn't hurt anything I don't think.
welcome and no i think its really great that you'd want to come in and have a look. always feel free to ask us question we'll help anyway we can User Image
Thank you. I know I don't have PTSD, but I thought since I live with someone who has the condition that I could come in here.
SelfMadeOrphan
Lil Enslaved Kitten
SelfMadeOrphan
My best friend and roommate has PTSD. I thought I'd come in here and get myself acquainted with some of the regulars. Couldn't hurt anything I don't think.
welcome and no i think its really great that you'd want to come in and have a look. always feel free to ask us question we'll help anyway we can User Image
Thank you. I know I don't have PTSD, but I thought since I live with someone who has the condition that I could come in here.
and you are more then welcome. leaving with someone who suffers from it can be just as hard sometimes. i know some days Daddy has no clue what to do or say.

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

grinningjester
Lil Enslaved Kitten
so here we go yet again. such a pretty day out i mean great day and of course we have to pay for it late tonight and all day tomorrow. least i get a lil bit of a warning and Daddy will be home for most of it

I'm sorry, Kitten. Does the sound of the weather bother you? A lot of sounds bother me and when I know something is going to trigger me I put on my ears, those sound protectors you wear at the gun range. They're cheaper than Bose noise cancelling headphones and they work just as well. That could help cut out the sounds if that is what bothers you. I'm glad your Daddy will be there for most of it. That'll help I'm sure.

Less Than Beth
Ah! About to go to a job interview at Pizza Hutt! I'm so excited.
What's awesome about this is after I got the phone call I was like, "Dang, I can't wait to post in the forum." It's like you guys are my little family now.lol
Well anywho, I hope everyone is having a good day :]

Congratulations Beth! I'm glad you feel like you can rely on us, even for the regular life things. How does your PTSD affect your ability to work?

Thanks.
I don't think my disorder affects my work in any way. At least I don't think so. I can handle stress pretty in a work place it's just when I get home do I really start to feel lost and overwhelmed, but once I establish some coping techniques I should be alright :]

5,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
Lil Enslaved Kitten
B E L L E__E N C R E
Thanks I will look into those links and get a few books from the library.
I just don't want him to know I'm researching it, he worries enough, he's already decided that if I stay in our duty station I'll find another Marine. I think he doesn't believe I can handle this lifestlye. I just plan on being fully prepared, I've heard horror stories from other wives, I plan on being there in anyway I can. Thanks for the tips and the links!
*big hugs* i like you smile sorry i'm always very proud of our troops and the family that stands by them and the fact you want to be ready ahead of time just in case makes me wanna give ya a hug. hope all goes well.

Thank you. :] -glomp
-

Friendly Guildsman

Less Than Beth

Thanks.
I don't think my disorder affects my work in any way. At least I don't think so. I can handle stress pretty in a work place it's just when I get home do I really start to feel lost and overwhelmed, but once I establish some coping techniques I should be alright :]

Good, glad to hear that. I'm really frustrated because I am not capable of working anymore and I'm only 26. I hate that I can't do the things I want to do. Oh, and I got Reign Over Me in the mail today. I'm settling in to watch it.

B E L L E__E N C R E
Thanks I will look into those links and get a few books from the library.
I just don't want him to know I'm researching it, he worries enough, he's already decided that if I stay in our duty station I'll find another Marine. I think he doesn't believe I can handle this lifestlye. I just plan on being fully prepared, I've heard horror stories from other wives, I plan on being there in anyway I can. Thanks for the tips and the links!

Always happy to help. I think it's really fabulous that you are looking into so soon. It really shows how much you want to support him and that is just amazing. Talking to the other wives about how they handle PTSD is also a good idea!

SelfMadeOrphan

PTSD doesn't just affect the person that has it. I also affects their friends and loved ones. You're absolutely welcome here. Your experience supporting your friend can help others who are supporting people with PTSD. How has your friend's PTSD affected your life? Are there things you do to help your friend? Do you act differently when your friend is around? Do you have any questions that we can help answer?

Lil Enslaved Kitten
so far so good i've been tracking the storms from the time i got up this morning. i learned how to read radar maps and look for signs of tornadoes inside the radar. and when it does get bad i have a lil radio i keep going so i can go back and forth. that's how i cope with things i throw myself into tracking it and knowing what's going on around me. we had no warnings the night i got hit. about 2mins before it hit us i knew what it was i had spend all my science time in school studying them.. so i was able to get in our bathroom but when you're in a mobile home it doesn't help. i was drug through the debris of what was left and thrown around 325 yards to where i woke up. i think the worst part was being in that field for as long as i was knowing how bad i was hurt and that i couldn't help any of the others. the storm hit my house at 8:26 pm i finally got to the er at 1:03am so it was a long night in that cow field.

Do you have any problems with fields now? Keeping active is always a good idea. I find that when I am not active I dwell on whatever is triggering me and it just makes it worse.
grinningjester

Lil Enslaved Kitten
so far so good i've been tracking the storms from the time i got up this morning. i learned how to read radar maps and look for signs of tornadoes inside the radar. and when it does get bad i have a lil radio i keep going so i can go back and forth. that's how i cope with things i throw myself into tracking it and knowing what's going on around me. we had no warnings the night i got hit. about 2mins before it hit us i knew what it was i had spend all my science time in school studying them.. so i was able to get in our bathroom but when you're in a mobile home it doesn't help. i was drug through the debris of what was left and thrown around 325 yards to where i woke up. i think the worst part was being in that field for as long as i was knowing how bad i was hurt and that i couldn't help any of the others. the storm hit my house at 8:26 pm i finally got to the er at 1:03am so it was a long night in that cow field.

Do you have any problems with fields now? Keeping active is always a good idea. I find that when I am not active I dwell on whatever is triggering me and it just makes it worse.
oddly no.. i hate closed in places though. i've even went back and walked all through the field where i landed that night and walked a friend through all of it. the only thing that bothered me that day was thinking about being back in that bathroom. i tend to pace and go from window to window when it does storm trying to see all around me. one thing i find kinda funny bout it though. i use to love the movie twister cause i wanted so much to be able to find a way to make warnings better. well now i hate that movie.. one of the firefighters who was out trying to find people in my town that night told a news woman the only was he could tell anyone what it was like there was if you had ever saw the movie twister it was that bad there and it was.

Lonely Lunatic

the worse feeling is knowing no one is going to rescue me from this ******** hell.
it' just too much to take sometimes. my coping skills fall apart and so does my sanity.

Friendly Guildsman

Lil Enslaved Kitten
oddly no.. i hate closed in places though. i've even went back and walked all through the field where i landed that night and walked a friend through all of it. the only thing that bothered me that day was thinking about being back in that bathroom. i tend to pace and go from window to window when it does storm trying to see all around me. one thing i find kinda funny bout it though. i use to love the movie twister cause i wanted so much to be able to find a way to make warnings better. well now i hate that movie.. one of the firefighters who was out trying to find people in my town that night told a news woman the only was he could tell anyone what it was like there was if you had ever saw the movie twister it was that bad there and it was.

Wow! That's pretty bad. Did going back to the field help you at all? I went back to the apartment complex where my shooting happened about a year later. I touched the holes in the wall that they hadn't bothered to cover up. It didn't help. I'm glad I did it, but the terror I felt was terrible.
grinningjester
Lil Enslaved Kitten

Wow! That's pretty bad. Did going back to the field help you at all? I went back to the apartment complex where my shooting happened about a year later. I touched the holes in the wall that they hadn't bothered to cover up. It didn't help. I'm glad I did it, but the terror I felt was terrible.
by the time i went back everything had been cleaned up but i still remembered where things i had seen that night had been. i went through and showed my friend where i had woke up and where i had seen the lil baby we all thought was a doll. i wish it had of helped but no not really. i was in the hospital for so long that i never got to go back and look for my things i got what friends and family would pick up on there way to see me. sometimes i'm glad i didn't see it but others i wonder if it would have helped for me to see that everything really was gone and get a chance to pick through the peaces.

Quotable Consumer

Hi, I just found this thread and I also have PTSD. It's been bad recently. I've started having issues leaving the areas I've decided are safe and it's frightening for me to go to school because all I can see him or remember when I was with him or leaving him...so many memories attached to that building...

I also have flashbacks and hallucinate. Going to mention this to my psychiatrist when I see her on the 6th. I was diagnosed over a year ago but nothing was really done about it. Though I went to group therapy for staying in the moment so that did help...

Also I've been having problems eating because I remember being yelled at and punished for eating too much at one point...so my doctor is worried about my weight because it's a struggle for me to eat twice in one day...Think that's a big enough post for now...thanks for making a place where I can talk.
underdog-kitten
Hi, I just found this thread and I also have PTSD. It's been bad recently. I've started having issues leaving the areas I've decided are safe and it's frightening for me to go to school because all I can see him or remember when I was with him or leaving him...so many memories attached to that building...

I also have flashbacks and hallucinate. Going to mention this to my psychiatrist when I see her on the 6th. I was diagnosed over a year ago but nothing was really done about it. Though I went to group therapy for staying in the moment so that did help...

Also I've been having problems eating because I remember being yelled at and punished for eating too much at one point...so my doctor is worried about my weight because it's a struggle for me to eat twice in one day...Think that's a big enough post for now...thanks for making a place where I can talk.
hello there. sorry its had to be in a thread for something like this but it is nice to meet you.

Friendly Guildsman

wahmbulance There's a gun and a suicide by cop attempt in Reign Over Me. Beware. But other than that, great movie. Good job illustrating what PTSD looks like.

Lil Enslaved Kitten
by the time i went back everything had been cleaned up but i still remembered where things i had seen that night had been. i went through and showed my friend where i had woke up and where i had seen the lil baby we all thought was a doll. i wish it had of helped but no not really. i was in the hospital for so long that i never got to go back and look for my things i got what friends and family would pick up on there way to see me. sometimes i'm glad i didn't see it but others i wonder if it would have helped for me to see that everything really was gone and get a chance to pick through the peaces.

Did the baby survive? Why is it that we are drawn to go back to the place where the trauma occurred? I don't know if seeing everything gone would have helped you. I have all the pictures from the crime scene and I take them out and look at them every now and again. I also have the audio from the shooting and I listen to it too. It hurts more than helps.

underdog-kitten
Hi, I just found this thread and I also have PTSD. It's been bad recently. I've started having issues leaving the areas I've decided are safe and it's frightening for me to go to school because all I can see him or remember when I was with him or leaving him...so many memories attached to that building... I also have flashbacks and hallucinate. Going to mention this to my psychiatrist when I see her on the 6th. I was diagnosed over a year ago but nothing was really done about it. Though I went to group therapy for staying in the moment so that did help... Also I've been having problems eating because I remember being yelled at and punished for eating too much at one point...so my doctor is worried about my weight because it's a struggle for me to eat twice in one day...Think that's a big enough post for now...thanks for making a place where I can talk.

Welcome to the thread! I'm glad you found us. I totally understand not being able to leave your "safezone." I have trouble even going grocery shopping. Anywhere but my house. I wouldn't be able to get out of the house at all if I didn't have my service dog. How long before you graduate? If you're in college you can talk to your doctor about getting a letter saying you need assistance. If you bring that to your school you can get a notetaker and other help. Therapy and medications have really helped me. Are you on any medications?
here we go... storm one of the day. been tracking them sense i got up at 6am hoping i'd be ready when they got here. but well i know what's going on what the threats are with this line and what to do but i still find my heart beating way to fast and my mind on overdrive trying to take all i can in. oh and the having to ask people around me if the lights are flashing like they're trying to go out gets old. so guess you could say i hallucinate when i get stressed bout storms cause my roommate says they haven't flashed at all though i've had to ask two or three times so far sweatdrop
grinningjester

Lil Enslaved Kitten

Did the baby survive? Why is it that we are drawn to go back to the place where the trauma occurred? I don't know if seeing everything gone would have helped you. I have all the pictures from the crime scene and I take them out and look at them every now and again. I also have the audio from the shooting and I listen to it too. It hurts more than helps.

no lil madison didn't make it crying .. i still find myself looking up old news articles and pics from the storm i also still have all the pics of my poor car that was total in it. i'm always sad when i get done looking through everything but i've learned to see it as a reminder that i lived through it

Quotable Consumer

grinningjester
Welcome to the thread! I'm glad you found us. I totally understand not being able to leave your "safezone." I have trouble even going grocery shopping. Anywhere but my house. I wouldn't be able to get out of the house at all if I didn't have my service dog. How long before you graduate? If you're in college you can talk to your doctor about getting a letter saying you need assistance. If you bring that to your school you can get a notetaker and other help. Therapy and medications have really helped me. Are you on any medications?
Currently an extra year of high school and even if I managed to pass all 4 courses this semester (I doubt I will though) I still won't have enough for a diploma so next year, I get to go to an adult school to take more courses. Currently not on any medications but when I see my psychiatrist, I'm going to do something I should have done a while ago. I will be saying how bad things actually are instead of lying and saying I'm fine even when I know I'm not.
Lil Enslaved Kitten
hello there. sorry its had to be in a thread for something like this but it is nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you too. I agree that the circumstances of meeting are a shame but at least we can both get support here from people who understand. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff