Welcome to Gaia! ::

I definitely have to say that I have learned to become a better person. I have emotional and physical disabilities. But I have learned to become wiser and stronger. I almost feel reborn. It is still a major struggle to overcome my disabilities but I know that my strength will come back stronger than it was before.
Candy Korea
Lil Enslaved Kitten
Candy Korea
grinningjester

Im sorry you have panic attacks. Do you have any coping mechanisms that you use when you have them?
Well I have meds that I take if I feel a panic attack. Usually I recognize when I should take a pill if I feel panicy. But sometimes I do not. My panic attacks can get extremely aggressive. I scream, pull at my hair, and get EXTREMELY TERRIFIED OR ANGRY. If my heart rate gets too high I go into a trance seizure. My sister at one point thought a demon possessed me. sweatdrop I am trying to get into deeper therapy though. Other than medication, I have no real method of coping. This is the first time I have really opened up about this. I hope it does not sound like I am making this up or anything..
youre sound like the ones i have.. i have had them get so bad that i have left scares on my arms and back from scratching, i get really scared and then its like it switches to anger cause i dont know what to do. my husband has helped me alot with mine because other then my birth mom i was adopted) hes the only one who can get me to lay down so he can pretty much just squeeze me as tight as he can and after a few mins i just relax its sounds weird i know but it works.
Yeah sometimes one of my sisters will pin me down. But I do not really feel better when I calm down. I just have a depression episode afterwards. I guess it is better than being emotionally violent though.
sounds like the way i would feel when i first started having them in the hospital and they would restrain me so i wouldn't reopen my surgery wounds i would always come out of it feeling sad and lost. and don't worry about it taking time some people wheither it be due to brain chemistry or heightened emotions take a lil longer to show the signs of improvement that others are.

Friendly Guildsman

porcelain kitty
grinningjester
porcelain kitty

Yay. Glad he's been supportive and I'm happy you're doing well. Why don't you want your parents to know?

Ehh, it's been so long I just see no point in opening up that can of worms. The person has been long gone out of our lives for over 10 years now and I know it will only upset them. Particularly since I know they will blame themselves.

Maybe they'd surprise you and be very supportive. Either way, glad you're out of that situation.

Friendly Guildsman

A lightbulb blew out in my kitchen today, making a loud popping sound. The sound combined with the kitchen sent me straight into a flashback. I was back trapped in that kitchen, gunfire surrounding me, alone and ditched by a partner that ran away. The flashback was strong, stronger than I've had in a long time. I could even smell the gunpowder.

My question to you guys. What are the things that trigger your panic attacks or flashbacks? Do you have them in public? How does that make you feel?

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

I actually thought about this yesterday. I wrote it down and explained it in detail how the triggers make me feel. Writing it down might make it easier to tell my therapist and maybe figure out some coping techniques.
My triggers: Women screaming, being touched or not able to move around freely while I'm trying to sleep. Whenever I'm triggered I always feel uneasy or angry.

I'm sorry that happened to you today.
I hope youre doing alright.

Aged Regular

grinningjester
What are the things that trigger your panic attacks or flashbacks? Do you have them in public? How does that make you feel?
Panic attacks:
thinking about rape, or hearing/reading about eating disorders.
I don't think I've ever had a legitimate "flashback."

Friendly Guildsman

Less Than Beth

That's a good idea, to write them down for your therapist. I have a lot of trouble being touched while sleeping too. Especially my right arm. I elbowed my wife in the face once because she grabbed my wrist. I still feel horrible about that. I am doing moderately okay thanks. Funny, knowing I could share with ya'll was helpful.

Admiral Absurd
Panic attacks:
thinking about rape, or hearing/reading about eating disorders.
I don't think I've ever had a legitimate "flashback."

I'm glad you haven't had flashbacks but I'm sorry you have panic attacks.

Aged Regular

grinningjester

I'm glad you haven't had flashbacks but I'm sorry you have panic attacks.
Eh, I'm not too bothered by them anymore.
Well, after they happen, at least.
They've been happening for ten years now, going on eleven.
I'm just happy this isn't a new thing because of trauma.
lol
grinningjester

My question to you guys. What are the things that trigger your panic attacks or flashbacks? Do you have them in public? How does that make you feel?
very strong wind or storms set me off makes driving out of the question sometimes. and yeah when i do have them in public places i normally come out crying cause people are looking at me like i'm so kinda of psycho. the last really bad one i had in public (note really bad full on panic attack and flashback all at once) was at the county fair not long after my brother had died i had went hoping to get things off my mind when bad storms started moving in. i went into save mode at first making sure everyone was in the main building and getting all the doors closed (use to work there so i new the routine by heart) soon as that was done one of the guys that use to work with me drug me in the office cause i started to black out he said the look on my face was horrifying i don't remember much though till after they had crammed me in the lil concrete room we have and set my brothers lil cousin in my lap and it was like i snapped out of it and went back in to keep someone else safe. after it was over i went home and laid in bed with one of my best friends crying

Friendly Guildsman

Admiral Absurd

How often do you have panic attacks?

Friendly Guildsman

Lil Enslaved Kitten

That sounds like a very strong one. I hate having panic attacks/flashbacks in public. It is the most embarrassing thing. What's with county fairs? I had a terrible one at a county fair too. Fireworks. Can't watch them anymore.

Aged Regular

grinningjester
Admiral Absurd

How often do you have panic attacks?
At least five times a month.

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

grinningjester

Oh goodness.
I feel bad everytime I stay at a friends house and I constently keep telling them to scoot over and give me more room. It shouldn't be a big deal, but it is.
I'm glad sharing is working out for you, and me too. Its always nerve racking when I usually share, but here it's relaxing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff