Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you could, how many babies would you have at once?

Just the one! 0.34771573604061 34.8% [ 137 ]
Twins! 0.37055837563452 37.1% [ 146 ]
Triplets! 0.035532994923858 3.6% [ 14 ]
Quadruplets! 0.0025380710659898 0.3% [ 1 ]
5+ 0.015228426395939 1.5% [ 6 ]
Gold please. 0.22842639593909 22.8% [ 90 ]
Total Votes:[ 394 ]

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Shima Shinji
Kitakiy
[Razzberry Kamikaze]
Digital Fiend
Kitakiy

Why do you have to switch hospitals? Doesn't that hospital have more than one doctor that can deliver? I would go to my hospital of choice and dare them to move me.

I second this. Walk into your hospital and demand a female OB. You're the one having a baby.

It's not the hospital that I'm going to for care though - I'm going to an OBGYN at a doctor's office, and when I deliver, I will be meeting HER at the hospital. It actually does say in my paperwork that I might have to go to the other hospital in rare emergencies, just like I might have to go to the other doctor, who is her partner, in rare emergencies, when she is unavailable....
But... I don't wanna...

That's really strange, I can't believe that your hospital doesn't have more than one OBGYN there. I really doubt that's true, if you're uncomfortable with the other hospital, just go to the close one! If you end up having to move, then it's not a big deal and they'll either tell you to just drive there or give you a free ride in an ambulance.

It's not that they DON'T have another obgyn there... I'm sure they do... but the fact is I'm seeing THIS doctor and she has all of my medical stuff and my information and knows me and I know her - and it's HER services I'm paying for, and HER backup is this other doctor. The hospital is just a setting - I'll basically just be paying for a room and the help of the nurses there. It's MY doctor that will be doing the actual work and helping with the decision-making and whatnot.
If HER backup is the only one on call, I can't exactly just call up another random doctor and ask them to do it for me instead. I'm sure that if it really came down to it, the hospital has their own on-call doctor for emergencies - but then I would not have the doctor or the doctor's backup, who both have my files. Then, somebody else would have to inform MY doctor of the situation later on, and then my doctor might not get all of the necessary info to be able to care for me afterwards. And I just don't trust 'somebody' else either - the problem with the strange person looking at and touching my crotch arises yet again.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

Lil Enslaved Kitten

Mightelove

Thank you so much for telling me about your expierences, it's nice to hear what I expierenced isn't normal but I do think i'm pretty much scarred for life from a postcode lottery (which happens to be bad in my area) British NHS medical service and incompetent medical staff. I do think ill have to seriously think about it before I can consider having kids one day. I just worry that all negative expierences and fears potentially coming together will make it a bad expierence, and no one wants that.
Both of you, thank you.

Amorous Nerd

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Citizen 200
The Neon Sailor

From your mention of the NHS, I'm assuming your British?

Most of the ladies in here are American and I can tell you that 100% birth is a completely different experience in England compared to the US, and then again for each and every lady.

I don't know much about the whole strep b positive deliverer's but I personally only had an I.V for my first because I was induced.

Throughout pregnancy you do have to have a lot of blood taken, blood tests and urine tests so unfortunately needles aren't avoidable. ]: But it's worth it to know you and baby are healthy, if I hadn't had the tests something really bad could of happened with my first and I'm glad of them.

In England it's very focused on Midwifes who handle pregnancy and delivery, not Dr's and nurses, it's much more acceptable to have a home birth, birthing centres and of course you can choose hospital, but I know it's not for everyone.

I had both mine in a hospital and the first I had a lot of aid which was needed. Second I was barely touched by anyone, I controlled everything, no needles, no I.V, nadda.

So really it will depend on your pregnancy, how your labour goes, no-one can say YES or NO to the things you fear unfortunately, but please do keep in mind that just because one person had something done doesn't mean you have to. Each country and each hospital/midwife works differently, and your body will be the big determining factor in what you do and don't need.

Shameless Consumer

Kitakiy
It's not that they DON'T have another obgyn there... I'm sure they do... but the fact is I'm seeing THIS doctor and she has all of my medical stuff and my information and knows me and I know her - and it's HER services I'm paying for, and HER backup is this other doctor. The hospital is just a setting - I'll basically just be paying for a room and the help of the nurses there. It's MY doctor that will be doing the actual work and helping with the decision-making and whatnot.
If HER backup is the only one on call, I can't exactly just call up another random doctor and ask them to do it for me instead. I'm sure that if it really came down to it, the hospital has their own on-call doctor for emergencies - but then I would not have the doctor or the doctor's backup, who both have my files. Then, somebody else would have to inform MY doctor of the situation later on, and then my doctor might not get all of the necessary info to be able to care for me afterwards. And I just don't trust 'somebody' else either - the problem with the strange person looking at and touching my crotch arises yet again.

Oh, I see now. That still seems like a strange way of doing it to me, but for all I know I'm the one who had the strange experience! Hopefully you won't go into labor while she's not on call and all your worrying will be for nothing.

Clean Raider

Kitakiy
[Razzberry Kamikaze]
Digital Fiend
Kitakiy

Why do you have to switch hospitals? Doesn't that hospital have more than one doctor that can deliver? I would go to my hospital of choice and dare them to move me.

I second this. Walk into your hospital and demand a female OB. You're the one having a baby.

It's not the hospital that I'm going to for care though - I'm going to an OBGYN at a doctor's office, and when I deliver, I will be meeting HER at the hospital. It actually does say in my paperwork that I might have to go to the other hospital in rare emergencies, just like I might have to go to the other doctor, who is her partner, in rare emergencies, when she is unavailable....
But... I don't wanna...
I hope you get to have your doctor be with you then!
I have two that I go back and forth from every time that I go in for appts and I know that I'd rater have one of the doctors more than the other, too.

Clean Raider

Mightelove

I also got tired of all the female nurses apologizing to me all the time for things that they had to do in the course of their duties. That just downright annoys me.
I hate when people do that!

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kitakiy
[Razzberry Kamikaze]
Digital Fiend
Kitakiy

But... I don't wanna...

I dunno. Sounds weird to have a back up at a different hospital. Hopefully baby is all nice and comfy this weekend though so you don't have to meet the other doctor that you don't know that well.

6,450 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I find this forum very interesting ^^
Congrats to all the mommies and soon to be mommies ! I'm not pregnant but i cant wait until i get to be a mom one day [:

Kitakiy - I hope baby is ok over the weekend and you get to see your doctor instead of the on call doctor.

Wealthy Lunatic

4,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I think we are FINALLY getting the hang on breast feeding. And he now goes about 2-3 hours like he should between eating...
Ahhh... ALSO.

We put the baby swing together. Best invention ever, and it's good because my sister is leaving today, so I can put Travis in the swing after feedings so I can have some time with Ashton smile

Cluttered Cutesmasher

[x~Ripple~x]

Yeah I am. I know the basic ins and outs of giving birth in the UK, and i've already been told that if I have a baby I have to have an IV for antibiotics, no ifs or buts. I can just about cope with needles, but IV's are a totally different story.
Each area of the UK seems to determine a lot too. I've lived in the West Midlands for university and the healthcare standard there is amazing to me. But in the South West, where I was born and bread, it is appauling. The horrible standard of care combined with a lot of things I really dislike seems like it will be a bad expierence. I think ill have to temporarily move to get better healthcare if/when I have a baby, but even then I don't know how much of a difference it will make. I'll guess ill have to work out in my own mind if having a child is worth it, which may seem stupid or selfish to anyone who's expierenced labour, but I think if it goes bad it would cause problems to my mental health.

Thanks for the information and advice.

Kawaii Demigod

20,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Anyone else get that feeling that no matter what you do right you always feel like you're doing something wrong? sad I hate it.

Kawaii Demigod

20,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Anyone else get that feeling that no matter what you do right you always feel like you're doing something wrong? sad I hate it.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Botoxic
I find this forum very interesting ^^
Congrats to all the mommies and soon to be mommies ! I'm not pregnant but i cant wait until i get to be a mom one day [:

Kitakiy - I hope baby is ok over the weekend and you get to see your doctor instead of the on call doctor.

Thanks ^_^

And thanks to everyone else, too - I hope my Luna waits until monday at least lol
Though I REALLY want her now.... XD
SlightlyBurntCupcake
Okay.. so breast feeding on the left n****e is a-okay.
The right. burning_eyes

Dying pain. I think it's because I have to use my left hand to position my n****e for him.. but I did get a perfect latch earlier! heart

This is so stressful.. and makes me feel like s**t because I can't breastfeed easily. Ugh.
However he is gaining all his weight back.. his diapers are already getting a little snug!

Don't feel like s**t. Breastfeeding is something that has to be learned, for both baby and mom. I still had issues with Emma, and I had nursed Lukas for 2+ years. smile
Satil
After experiencing a miscarriage I would never attempt to just lie on a towel and go naked. I know that you deal with your periods like that, and I think that's fine. I use a cup myself. But I think you're underestimating the bleeding. I was only 9 weeks and it was unlike anything I've ever experienced. I can only imagine how heavy it'll be after I have Dexter. I hate pads, but I went out and bought a big giant overnight box last night. I'm not opposed to just wearing underwear and dealing with some staining after it's almost over (I did with the miscarriage near the end) but the beginning is so extreme it's kind of terrifying. My husband is a really logical, level-headed guy, but he was legit afraid I might die and he admitted seeing me bleed like that terrified him. I knew it was pretty extreme and it wasn't just me then.

Has anyone else had totally irrational fears of being deemed an unfit mother and having their child taken from them at the end of their pregnancies? I haven't felt like that at all until just recently. It's illogical and it's stupid but it's driving me insane and it's making me a basketcase.

My bleeding wasn't bad after Emma. It was... not too bad after Lukas, but I don't remember 100% with him. I bled for the first day or so, and then it slowed down a lot... My PP bleeding stopped completely at 4 weeks with Lukas, but it lasted longer with Emma (3 months pp). In my experience, miscarriage bleeding is a lot heavier than birth... not exactly sure why though. The after birth was mostly spotting by the end of the 3rd day with Emma.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff