Welcome to Gaia! ::

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tute Sweet
Alexander J Luthor
Tute Sweet
What would you like to see covered in these parenting classes?

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR BABY IS CRYING?
A. Check its diaper
B. Give it a bottle
C. Throw it against a wall
D. Give it to the nearest competent adult and finish your homework

Edit: In all seriousness, I think another thing that would help is letting any men and women, who have decided that they will NEVER want kids, get spayed/neutered at age 18.

18?! That's very young!
The human brain doesn't even finish maturing until 21! I wouldn't expect an 18 year-old to be able to make that kind of life-long decision. Have you any idea how many teenagers who claim they never want kids go on to change their minds in later life?
That's their problem. Have you heard from all the women here who are pissed that, 4-6 years later, they still can't get fixed because doctors won't take them seriously?

Dainty Doll

Alexander J Luthor
Tute Sweet

A. Check its diaper
B. Give it a bottle

Edit: In all seriousness, I think another thing that would help is letting any men and women, who have decided that they will NEVER want kids, get spayed/neutered at age 18.

18?! That's very young!
The human brain doesn't even finish maturing until 21! I wouldn't expect an 18 year-old to be able to make that kind of life-long decision. Have you any idea how many teenagers who claim they never want kids go on to change their minds in later life?

Desirable Fatcat

….uh…..why did this get moved to the GD again…?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tute Sweet

A. Check its diaper
B. Give it a bottle

Hellraiser

Wigwam the Dodo
condoms are one such technology

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Gay African Mammoth
Hello LD! I'm not a common poster, but there are a few egg heads who frequent this area who I want to call out to help me with this thought string I listened in on/participated a little.

Alright so scene and setting, I was being carried to work by my auntie and a co-worker of hers who work for the animal shelter, they were doing rounds to drop off neutered cats. They're both much older women probably around their 50s.

I forget what triggered it, but my auntie's co-worker starts to rant about how there should be something put into people at birth that prevents them from giving birth and getting pregnant until certain criteria are met. I saw the immediate public backlash in the thought exercise and the enormous infringing on people's rights, but the more I thought about it the more I thought "huh...that would fix a lot of problems...".

The criteria were:

1, have to meet a certain age requirement.
2, have to have been financially stable for x amount of time (Basically meaning that you were holding a job down for a certain amount of time)
3, Have to take and pass parenting classes (thrown in by me)

So uh...the immediate perks that come to mind for me is waaaaay less people having kids that there is no ******** way that they can handle, financially OR psychologically. Which also eases up on the tax payer money going into government aid for women who get paid to basically pop out kids. Which also means that people who don't actually know how to interact with kids popping them out aren't beating and screaming at them to act right, thus reducing the amount of mental cases being released into society.

Those are just some of the upsides that came to mind for me. Thoughts? :V

This doesn't fix the real problem at hand with a corrupt economic system that makes it hard for the majority of people to have a livable wage and especially without workig long a** hours like slaves, emotionally neglecting their kids anyway.

The government probably has as much right to enforce this sort of thing as much as they have the right to tax, though with it involving the body and it being so corruptible as a form of eugenics, this may be too invasive.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

I agree with all of them. There are others i'd throw in to, forcible birth control for certain groups - raging drug addicts etc.

As someone who works with foster children with such difficult behaviour they cannot be adopted, maybe my judgement is clouded by these children and their piss poor upbringings.

And my own personal belief that children are better off not being conceived/born into some of the hellish situations ive read about. Some of that s**t I can't even comprehend in my mind.

I think I set the bar too high, I personally wouldn't have any child unless I owned my own home, we both could drive and can afford two cars, could afford a nice holiday every now and again, both earn well and are stable in our relationship. Its just the way i've been raised, and I always have safety measures in place such as making all our costs land in one salary. Yeah sure life is shitty and sometimes it kicks you up the a** and you end up piss poor, but I tend to see people having kids when they just arn't ready and as a result of having that kid can never to that level of stability.

Spoopy Kitten

Miss Bitey
xChibi Cannibalx
I agree 100% with the first one. Thered be no issues with teen pregnancy which would be good for everyone

As for the financially stable one, i agree with it maybe 50%. Im on disability because i cannot work even if i tried.

You couldn't work a desk job from home? I mean, you're clearly capable of typing...

If they let me work only two hours a day. You dont know why im on disability, so you shouldnt be so quick to judge. Ive got mental and physical disabilities up the whazoo. The judge even told me i wasnt allowed to learn how to drive because of two of my mental disabilities

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
xChibi Cannibalx
I agree 100% with the first one. Thered be no issues with teen pregnancy which would be good for everyone

As for the financially stable one, i agree with it maybe 50%. Im on disability because i cannot work even if i tried.

You couldn't work a desk job from home? I mean, you're clearly capable of typing...

Dainty Doll

Gay African Mammoth
Tute Sweet
Basic child psychology, how they receive and react to information and how it differs from how a functioning adult, teenager, and toddler receives that information. How to defuse tense situations with your kid. Why hitting them does get fast results, but what problems you're possibly creating for yourself later on when they grow up and think hitting is the way to handle things.

Oh, okay. That would be good actually, as long as we're talking about things that are progressive and research-based.

It would also be useful to cover things like infant resuscitation, appropriate ages for weaning, how to minimise risk of cot death/SIDs etc.

Although I wouldn't assume that just because someone passes a test, they'd actually implement the knowledge (IME, there's a lot of stubbornness and insufferable "well MY parents did ____ and I turned out fine!" thinking when it comes to parenting practices, even when there's abundant research and the person should know better), but at least if more people have the knowledge in the first place maybe they'd be less likely to make poor decisions.

Profitable Gekko

Wigwam the Dodo
condoms are one such technology
Thisss guyyyyyy!

Profitable Gekko

Mari Arara
that's a pretty good idea. i definitely agree that people unfit for treating kids should not be legally allowed kids- but a parenting course is probably not the way to go through it. the way society is now the ideal of parenting is ******** up and i have a feeling that a lot of people would be denied kids because they loved them too much, didnt put them in school, didn't yell at them, didn't beat them. i think they just need to make sure that they like kids enough and would love theirs unconditionally, i guess.
Thanks for the opinion, and I also agree and wish that if someone weren't fit to raise kids in a big way, that they wouldn't be allowed to get them.

My idea of parenting classes is simply like: "Hey this is how a kid receives what you tel them vs how another adult receives what you tell them."

"Sure hitting a kid will probably get them to stop doing what's bothering you faster, but here are some of the mental issues you may be giving them further down the line that are much harder to deal with"

"When a child acts this way it's important not to react back in the same way, but control the situation and keep a level head. Don't yell back and show them that they've got power over you"

Stuff like that, and you pass if you show some basic comprehension. Just useful knowledge that all parents should have in their repertoire before they pop a pooping machine.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff