Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
The Cookie Whore Pirate
User Image
y'know, maybe there are really people who are otherkin.

i think i'll have to assume there's some truth behind it until i'm given more evidence.

but i think most "otherkin" are just nerds with bad acne and no lives, that feel the need to be like an anime character and be more extraordinary than they really are.

If i had a secret like being an otherkin, i'd keep it mostly to myself... there's no need to go around bragging about it and such.

The ones who think they're anime characters are Otakukin, and they're friggin nuts. domokun I don't think anyone here will argue against that.

I know otherkin who were completely surprised to learn what they were, or didn't want it at all. I remember a Christian who claimed to have the soul of an elf and was trying to figure out how on earth it worked, as he didn't believe in reincarnation. This is via the net community, granted, not in person. How that all worked out for him I have no idea, nor how long he believed or if he gave up after a while.

You'd be surprised how easy it is for most otherkin to fit in and appear quite normal if they wish it. The one I dated belonged to a Jewish family who hadn't figured it out, and probably still haven't. He went off to college, got a job as a job coach and all the rest of it, and did not mention his beliefs in public. He got twitchy when people talked about killing dragons in games though. I always wondered that no one else seemed to guess based on that. But it's easier when you know someone and their belief set to pick up on that all.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Blitzkrieg Beauty
You know what I've noticed about them?

There are never people who claim to be "lame" otherkin. I've never seen anybody claim to be a turtle, or an animal that doesn't have some crazy ability.

Also they are always premade ideas, such as vampires, werewolves, fairies, dragons.

These are all fantasy creatures that somebody else made up. Nothing original.

I've actually got a theory on this. It's pretty simple.

In regards to memory in general, we are more likely to remember interesting and unique experiences. Thus, while we may remember the first day we went to X school or our first car, kiss, what we wore on important days, all of the less important information is quickly forgotten and never makes it into truly long-term memory. I mean ... what did you eat for dinner on September 27th, 2003? If you do remember, you're strange.

In the same way, if you believe that people may be able to remember past lives or details from them, it is more likely that they'll remember interesting or high-impact events rather than mundane ones. Being a piece of lichen is probably mind-numbingly boring and anyone who found it remarkable enough to recall has to be quite odd. Even if they did recall it, chances are vague sensations with no sensory input or intelligence behind them would not leave a strong impression and may not even be thought of as significant by the person who has them. I mean, when I feel the need to move into the sunlight, I attribute it to the fact that I like being warm, not that I once needed it because I was a sapling. (Absolutely random example, myself as the example person because it's easily understood). I'd imagine repetition would wear into it too. Though ... I'm not really sure how much I believe that non-sentient life forms ever have a soul connected to them. But that's another issue.

Oh, and some people do claim creatures or origins that have nothing to do with pre-established fantasy creatures. I think it's easier to say that you're like X or Y though than to say that you're some nameless thing that no one ever heard of before.
I just find it funny that the people claiming to be these sparkly creatures aren't respected people in a community but rather kids who want to feel accepted by a group of society. You never hear a doctor or teacher claim they're Santa's elves. And if they did, you know they'd loose friendships over it.

All these kids do is take their psychical 'abnormalities' and exaggerate it in hopes that they can finally get noticed by someone. Hell, I know someone with spinal bifida and you don't see the kid claiming to be a keychain. He has a serious medical condition and won't survive past the age of 15. Just because he has an abnormality on his spine doesn't mean he's a dragon.

Honestly, it's just a load of BS, like the "emo" trend, but geekier.
I just question myself:
If you drink blood, And i mean like milk, Doesn't it make you cannibal? Or a little sadistic?
"Suuuure do like my glass 'o blood!"

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Doctors and teachers have jobs and respectability to worry about.

My major was elementary education. I have my certs for both regular and special education. I am a practicing neopagan. I told no one when I was student teaching. Most of the education department didn't know and obviously never will. I've since moved to Japan and teach English over here. (Japan's a lot less freaked out about religion. It's just not taken nearly as seriously as it was in the states). A few people know what I am but I don't broadcast it. Most people who are a part of something that's less than accepted by society don't.

One of my gay friends who worked at fast food kept his sexuality very much hidden. That was just fast food, just being gay. Otherkin carries the expectation of insanity. I know few kin, but the ones I do know don't spout off about what they are in public unless they're in company where they know it would be accepted.

My sympathies for your friend. Spina Bifida is no fun.

Otherkin don't necessarily have abnormalities. xD Certainly no wings or tails. Some claim to be more sensitive to sunlight, or get allergic reactions to strange things. They'll tell you it's a carryover or a sign of what they were. It's not something that all of them claim though. I mean ... if you're 100% human but just remember being something else, it's not like you'd expect to be any different than others, really.
Vampirism is a non-contagious disease. It can't be spread by anything; not sex, not blood. I believe it's called Renfield's syndrome. You can look it up. I have the disease. Some people think it's cool and say they wish they had it. It's not exactly good fun. It's creepy. Vampires do not sleep in coffins. The sun does not turn them to dust, though we are affected by it. We do not usually have fangs, but I do. Actually, my fangs are quite sad exuses for fangs. More like unusually sharp teeth. There are millions with this syndrome. There are probably vampires all around you- at school, at work, at the store. They just don't walk up to people and announce they are a vampire. Some vampires, though, have characteristics that just scream it. That's all I want to type. Look up Renfied's if you're interested.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
maggie_the_vampire
Vampirism is a non-contagious disease. It can't be spread by anything; not sex, not blood. I believe it's called Renfield's syndrome. You can look it up. I have the disease. Some people think it's cool and say they wish they had it. It's not exactly good fun. It's creepy. Vampires do not sleep in coffins. The sun does not turn them to dust, though we are affected by it. We do not usually have fangs, but I do. Actually, my fangs are quite sad exuses for fangs. More like unusually sharp teeth. There are millions with this syndrome. There are probably vampires all around you- at school, at work, at the store. They just don't walk up to people and announce they are a vampire. Some vampires, though, have characteristics that just scream it. That's all I want to type. Look up Renfied's if you're interested.

Renfield's is listed as a disorder, though not officially recognized by DSM-IV yet, rather than a medical condition, from what I found on a quick check online.

Porphyria, which is ugly stuff which no one should want is the one I always think when I hear people talking about real life vampirism, as urban legend has it that it's the origin of vampire mythology. Info on that is available on wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria

If you ask a medical professional what medical condition is closest to like ... Dracula-style vampirism, they'll probably say Porphyria. Ultrasensitivity to sunlight and the occasional use of blood as part of a medical treatment pretty much clinches it.

Dapper Humorist

maggie_the_vampire

Ah yes. Renfeild's... As in a non DSM "mental disorder" which is still questioned as to whether or not it exists.
Also I'd like to point out that all humans have sharp canines and incisors. Theyre used to eat meat and are not fangs.
Quote:
Also I'd like to point out that all humans have sharp canines and incisors. Theyre used to eat meat and are not fangs.

I didn't say they were fangs. I said unusually sharp teeth. As in sharper than normal.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
as someone who studies the paranormal i think it is just kids wanting to be special. i have had people try to prove it to me, but all they do is growl and tell me about crazy dreams. dreams are symbolic, not literal
maggie_the_vampire
Quote:

I didn't say they were fangs. I said unusually sharp teeth. As in sharper than normal.

My little brother has those. They're pointy, almost fang-like, but not quite. Doesn't mean a damn thing.
[MoonxChild]
maggie_the_vampire
Quote:

My little brother has those. They're pointy, almost fang-like, but not quite. Doesn't mean a damn thing.

I never said it did.

8,265 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
I'm a otherkin. My nails doesn't break and all people told me that when they look in my eyes they see somethink strange and they afraid of me. My cousin told me that I'm probably demonkin. I remember when I was 8 I was really angry when my teacher wouldn't tell me nothink about Hell, demons etc. It's really weird. eek
OK seriously, some people have problems and believe that they are not human, but what if someone says, living a lifestyle...thats not being a creature, thats living the way it would...people are so blind and think anyone who says "vampire" in a daily lifestyle think they are vampires....you are immature and cant tolerate a life choice, grow up.
http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article/513

Here is some recent research that has been done on the theory of the energy feeding usually linked with psychic Vampirism.

I am an otherkin, not a vampire but an otherkin none the less. I think the reason that vampirism and otherkin are so misunderstood is because most don't understand that these terms we use (though loosely related to the original origin) are modern interpritations for a spiritual, psychological, supernatural (whatever you want to call it, it varies) beleif. The only kin who can really claim any physical attributes are vampire, and I say this loosely.

True there are alot of bullshitters out there when it comes to otherkin- we call them fluff and posers. Those who wish to be special practicing escapism and trying to validate themselves. You can usually tell these type of people because, where otherkin claim to be simply other than our kin in some way, fluff tends to claim to be more than human.

However, if you weed out the fluff and all the rpg crap then we wouldn't have such a bad rep. We're still controversial because it's a modern spin on an old tradition (yes otherkin has old origins) which has only sprouting up in the past few 20ish years in this way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff