Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm actually Dragonkin myself, but there really are very few actual, honest Otherkin out there. And no, I don't believe that I can fly or breathe fire or anything abnormal like that. I won't bother explaining in detail because that takes too much higher order thinking for me to do on a whim this morning, but if you're honestly interested in how I define myself as an Otherkin, just send me a message.
I believe in past lives, I was some sort of animal in one of them and in other, some sort of Fae. Of course right now I'm a human, but I think I carry some aspects of all of my lives with me.
xBlue07
I'm actually Dragonkin myself, but there really are very few actual, honest Otherkin out there. And no, I don't believe that I can fly or breathe fire or anything abnormal like that. I won't bother explaining in detail because that takes too much higher order thinking for me to do on a whim this morning, but if you're honestly interested in how I define myself as an Otherkin, just send me a message.

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA rofl rofl rofl

Just because you THINK you're a dragon or just because you like dragons or s**t that doesnt make you one... get the ******** over it and grow up.
Takumi tenshi
xBlue07

Just because you THINK you're a dragon or just because you like dragons or s**t that doesnt make you one... get the ******** over it and grow up.

Did I say I THINK I'm a dragon or even that I like them? Actually I'm very fond of owls. Go educate yourself in the fact that people have beliefs that differ from yours, and just so you know I am a grown up. mrgreen
xBlue07
Takumi tenshi
xBlue07

Did I say I THINK I'm a dragon or even that I like them? Actually I'm very fond of owls. Go educate yourself in the fact that people have beliefs that differ from yours, and just so you know I am a grown up. mrgreen

Mhm, some people need to get it straight that everyone isn't like them, that they think like them, or share their beliefs, etc.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
People believe in strange things. Like that this divine being created the world in seven days, and took a bone out of the ribcage of the first man to make the first woman out of clay and the like. And that someone whose been stabbed, crucified and left to die could come back and one day save the world. And I'm not even going to discuss the supposed afterlife.

I find that how credible a belief is often is based upon who is making the call, and how popular the belief is amongst others.

Let's face it, Christianity, if you take the bible literally, contains some really weird stuff. Most faiths do. Being otherkin is a belief. It's worth finding out about the people who believe it before just blindly assuming things and deciding on the worst interpretation.

Dapper Humorist

x-Machine-x-Washable-x
Well, I'm pretty skeptical about this.. of course...
But I saw that thread about vampires and people claiming to suck blood. I already messaged people and asked them for proof, but they ignored me. >:U Sooo, I'm making a thread about it.
How come this isn't in any records or on the news or anything??
I've never heard anything about this besides here on Gaia.
I think it's just kids pretending to be more special than they really are. But hey if you can prove to me that you're actually a fairy, dragon, or vampire, I will believe you. : l
So get ready, go!

Otherkin are just kids with schizotypal personality disorder that havn't been diagnosed yet.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Ivan Isaacss

Otherkin are just kids with schizotypal personality disorder that havn't been diagnosed yet.

While some otherkin traits are commonly associated with being schizotypal, otherkin are not by definition insane anymore than any religious person is, by definition insane.

I can pull up the DSM-IV chart if you wish and point out which traits an otherkin is not, by definition if you'd like to discuss this in detail.

Dapper Humorist

terradi
Ivan Isaacss

While some otherkin traits are commonly associated with being schizotypal, otherkin are not by definition insane anymore than any religious person is, by definition insane.

I can pull up the DSM-IV chart if you wish and point out which traits an otherkin is not, by definition if you'd like to discuss this in detail.

No real need, Im looking at it right now. And I would say that supposed Otherkin fit in with most of these. Explicitly a tendancy towards 2&3 and usually some degree of everything else.
While Ill accept that not all are schizotypal I believe that most of the ones who arn't are just teenagers lieing for attention.

Also try not to mix abnormality and insanity, most of these people function just aswell as everyone else despite their beliefs.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
(Apologies if I come off as sounding rude. I've spent a lot of time with the otherkin community and this is something that I do take seriously and have thought a lot about).

Let's review: Otherkin come in a pretty wide range of flavors. Some people who think they're otherkin are insane. Some are completely functional and, aside from an odd belief system, would pass for normal.

The definition of otherkin is someone who believes that their soul is not human. The belief that they have special powers, hear voices, or are, in any way, abnormal, as well as any social issues they might have are not requirements for calling one's self Otherkin.

Quote:
Generic Criteria for Personality Disorders

* A lasting pattern of behavior and inner experience that markedly deviates from norms of the patient's culture. The pattern is manifested in at least 2 of these areas:
-Affect (appropriateness, intensity, lability and range of emotions)
-Cognition (how the patient perceives and interprets self, others and events)
-Impulse control
-Interpersonal functioning

* This pattern is fixed and affects many personal and social situations.

* These symptoms cause clinically important distress or impair work, social or personal functioning.

* This stable pattern has lasted a long time, with roots in adolescence or young adulthood.

* The symptoms aren't better explained by another mental disorder.

* They aren't directly caused by a general medical condition or substance use, including medications and drugs of abuse.

I've bolded the ones I I can say for certain do not fit, leaving the ones. Otherkin are not necessarily impulsive, do not necessarily act any different than anyone else. Also, their beliefs do not necessarily impair social or personal functioning any more than being Buddhist or wiccan impairs personal functioning.

Some 'kin remain in the closet, so to speak, because they do not wish to deal with social stigma, and thus are indistinguishable from any other person. Thus, while they may not be happy about keeping that part of themselves private. There is no distress or impairment of work, social or personal functioning. (You may argue the personal one, depending on how honest you think someone needs to be to be personally fine). You can believe something weird and still function perfectly fine.

Not all otherkin have been so for a long time and not all have roots in adolescence or young adulthood.

Quote:
Beginning by early adult life, these patients experience isolation and discomfort with social relationships as well as cognitive or perceptual distortions and peculiar behavior. These qualities are present in a variety of situations and shown by at least 5 of:
-Ideas of reference (not delusional)
-Behavior is influenced by odd beliefs or magical thinking inconsistent with cultural norms (includes marked superstitions, belief in telepathy)
-Unusual perceptions or bodily illusions
-Odd speech (vague, excessively abstract, impoverished)
-Paranoid or suspicious ideas
-Affect that is constricted in range or inappropriate to the topic
-Odd behavior or appearance
-Other than close relatives, no close friends or confidants
-In social situations, marked anxiety that is not reduced by familiarity. This is associated with paranoid fears rather than negative self-judgments.

I'm not positive enough on what exactly ideas of reference is anymore ... it's been a while since Abnormal psych. If you could remind me, I'd appreciate it.

Behavior may be influenced by odd beliefs. But the belief by itself is not necessarily a sign of schizotypal personalities. Some unusual perceptions may be present. Some otherkin believe they can sense phantom limbs. Then again, some Born Agains hear the voice of their creator telling them to convert. wink

It's important to mark the difference between a belief and a delusion. Faith, if you look hard enough at it, can be classified as a delusion. But you'd be committing an awful lot of people if the only criteria you went on was odd beliefs and strange ideas.
I don't believe in any of that hoo hah >_>

I like dragons and all and vampires but thats all in the movies. Its all fantasy made and some people take it too seriously and make it sound like its real. Its NOT real and never will be razz

Those are the kinds of people you see in online games and other chat sites speaking some made up language claiming it to be "Draconian" or "Vampiric" or something like that. Its a bunch of Dungeons and Dragons nerds who actually started the whole thing sweatdrop

But no its not real. Its just people having fun blaugh

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Rats. I desperately need sleep. I'll come back to check this out tomorrow though! G'night!
I love you terradi! ^w^ I was trying to tell some of the people here what you had already said but I'm bad at explaining things...so yeah, that's awesome. Do you think it's possible to have the blood of different species in you? Like animal and Fae? I know my soul is human right now.
Posuers.
Real vampires woukld never reveal their secret identities. Especially online. How LAME!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff