Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who loves being an Otaku(anime fan)!!!!
I do, but I'm fairly sure this belongs in the anime section... it *might* fit in this forum if you change it to discuss the negative social results of being an otaku or the fact that it's becoming an annoying preteen fad...
i like anime, but not THAT much to consider myself otaku

anime forum?

Hallowed Elder

9,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Ugh, I suggest you learn a bit about Japanese culture before you start throwing words around that you don't know the real meaning to.

Otaku aren't merely "anime fans." Rather, otaku are people who become so obsessed with something (anything, really, not just anime) that it consumes their life. They don't bathe. They hardly leave the house. The only human contact they have is minimal and usually limited to other otaku who are into the same thing they are. They're usually pretty lonely people. It's really a horrible thing to be, not really something to be proud of.
Ruse Muse
I do, but I'm fairly sure this belongs in the anime section... it *might* fit in this forum if you change it to discuss the negative social results of being an otaku or the fact that it's becoming an annoying preteen fad...

i'm sorry i'm still alittle new.... redface to the anime forums! XD
Nikolai Lizer
i like anime, but not THAT much to consider myself otaku

Lilikka
Ugh, I suggest you learn a bit about Japanese culture before you start throwing words around that you don't know the real meaning to.

Otaku aren't merely "anime fans." Rather, otaku are people who become so obsessed with something (anything, really, not just anime) that it consumes their life. They don't bathe. They hardly leave the house. The only human contact they have is minimal and usually limited to other otaku. It's really a horrible thing to be, not really something to be proud of.
.....you know thats kinda sterotyping lol. and I'm proud to be an Otaku

Hallowed Elder

9,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Raziel_the_fallen_angel
.....you know thats kinda sterotyping lol. and I'm proud to be an Otaku

That's how it is in Japan. It's not a stereotype, it's a very real thing. Adults in Japan do not watch cartoons unless they're losers with no life. It's OK to read a comic from time to time on the train to/from work, but it's not a hobby that's OK for adults.
Lilikka
That's how it is in Japan. It's not a stereotype, it's a very real thing. Adults in Japan do not watch cartoons unless they're losers with no life. It's OK to read a comic from time to time on the train to/from work, but it's not a hobby that's OK for adults.
...in Japan, most of us are not in Japan though. is it impossible for for me to be a sociable functioning member of the human race and still call my self an otaku?

Hallowed Elder

9,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Raziel_the_fallen_angel
...in Japan, most of us are not in Japan though. is it impossible for for me to be a sociable functioning member of the human race and still call my self an otaku?

If you're going to use a Japanese word, don't you think you should use the truer meaning of it (FYI: the word otaku is actually a formal way to say "house" and was then applied to people who never leave the house.)? I mean, why not just call yourself a fan? That way there's none of that negative connotation on the word.
Lilikka

If you're going to use a Japanese word, don't you think you should use the truer meaning of it (FYI: the word otaku is actually a formal way to say "house" and was then applied to people who never leave the house.)? I mean, why not just call yourself a fan? That way there's none of that negative connotation on the word.

lol i know what the word otaku means, and i rather call myself an otaku because its more fun^_^ and since when did people start using the truer meaning of words they prefered using? If you look most people's vocab is made up of words that mean something completly diffrent(btw im really not trying to fight,and i see where your arguments are correct. im just insanely bored.)
Why be proud to be an otaku...? They make me so angry sometimes, and they're different than just an anime fan. Otaku take their fandom to the next level, and it really sickens me.

In my opinion, Lilikka's right. Otaku don't function like how normal human beings should. Most really don't bathe or do anything else productive with their own well being or society.
Lilikka

Otaku aren't merely "anime fans." Rather, otaku are people who become so obsessed with something (anything, really, not just anime) that it consumes their life. They don't bathe. They hardly leave the house. The only human contact they have is minimal and usually limited to other otaku who are into the same thing they are. They're usually pretty lonely people. It's really a horrible thing to be, not really something to be proud of.

Yeah. Like the star trek people who learn Klingon.
Shadow of Yuki
Why be proud to be an otaku...? They make me so angry sometimes, and they're different than just an anime fan. Otaku take their fandom to the next level, and it really sickens me.

In my opinion, Lilikka's right. Otaku don't function like how normal human beings should. Most really don't bathe or do anything else productive with their own well being or society.
lol you said most. Thank you
i like anime, but not so much as to be obsessed. Admitting that you're an otaku is like a death wish. why be obsessed with cartoons when there are real, live people? some people just puzzle me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff