Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey guys. So I am taking an online class. The final is tomorrow. A girl in our class messaged all students saying we should meet up and take the final as a group. I joined in. I didn't see anything in the syllabus saying we couldn't do this. But is it legal? Like if we are caught, will I fail the class? I have never done this before, so I don't know.
I've done it for a few classes. If it doesn't say anything on the final and the professor didn't send a notice saying you can't do it, I'm pretty sure it isn't against the rules.
Robotic lalanono
I've done it for a few classes. If it doesn't say anything on the final and the professor didn't send a notice saying you can't do it, I'm pretty sure it isn't against the rules.

Ok, so if nothing was said, it's fine then?
it's gonna look fishy when the professor sees you all have the same fkin answers
Skataforeva
Robotic lalanono

Ok, so if nothing was said, it's fine then?

Pretty much. Keep in mind, though, there might be a chance your professor doesn't approve of it, but didn't bother to say anything, so if you're caught, you could still be penalized. I highly doubt this is the case, though. Most professors are very clear in their rules and regulations (in my experience). You're probably fine.
In my experience, unless they said that you can do it as a group, they will not approve of doing those tests as a group. My professors usually assume we all know that a test is something you do on your own unless otherwise stated.
How does that work?

Tipsy Capitalist

9,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Does your syllabus have any information on the school's academic integrity and plagiarism policy before or after the teacher's rules and the course content? If not, what does the student handbook say?
Well, it's legal in that academic dishonesty isn't a felony or misdemeanor and the police aren't going to come and arrest you.

It is probably a breach of your universities plagiarism and academic honesty code, which yes, you did sign when you enrolled at their school. You can go for it, but if one person blabs you're all going down.

Aged Girl

Skataforeva
A girl in our class messaged all students saying we should meet up and take the final as a group..

Almost everyone does that.
EVERYONE.

Sometimes professors will give us take-home finals and say 'this is not group work. i'll compare your answers to make sure you're not cheating'. But, at the end of the classes, everyone pairs up and does the exam together, making sure to not have identical answers, obviously.
I don't have any experience with online classes but if it's an exam I would think doing it as a group would be considered cheating. That's the whole point of exams, after all, to see what each student has learned.

Personally I wouldn't do it.
I cheat in school every chance I get.

If there is any written parts just make sure to phrase yours uniquely.

Academic dishonesty is against school rules. Rules aren't laws.

Adorable Fisher

Uh, I think its best to ask the professor if you can do that. Otherwise if you're all caught there could be major consequences.
It's usually against the academic policy. Depending on how your final is, you can get away with at least working on it together to make sure you understand the questions.

One of my classes had a final project of applying all our fun business stat knowledge and he said it's meant to be done alone...lolno, we all got into groups to help each other make sure we were doing the right procedures. Our assignments had different numbers used, but they were all the same procedure.

Frozen Fairy

There won't be any legal consequences.
Academic consequences is a whole other story.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff