Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

What religion are you? (Listing some of the more popular major and small ones)

Christian (Any sect) 0.22033898305085 22.0% [ 26 ]
Islam 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Hindu 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Buddhism 0.067796610169492 6.8% [ 8 ]
Judaism 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Pagan 0.084745762711864 8.5% [ 10 ]
Chinese Traditional 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Satanism (Theistic or atheistic) 0.050847457627119 5.1% [ 6 ]
Agnostic/Atheist 0.45762711864407 45.8% [ 54 ]
Other 0.11864406779661 11.9% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 118 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
The Ice Dervish

You all entertain me so well, who even comes up with this stuff? Over my time on the internet I've seen quite a few videos like this either shouting on street corners saying stupid s**t or trying to make everything look satanic. One half of me is really fed up with every major religion on this planet for brainwashing people and the other half is laughing at the stupid things they do. People like this are almost worth listening to just for their entertainment value. Keep in mind I'm talking about radicals, not just christian ones either. I also never really see anyone like this coming out of small religions, always out of the big ones. Like, you'll never see a wiccan dissecting the meaning of a product's symbols on a street corner for instance.

Discuss:

Normal Christian lifestyle vs Radical crazy Christian lifestyle (Adding this whole lifestyle thing in for you mods! emotion_donotwant )

Who produces the most crazies out of the Abrahamic religions? Where do people like this woman even come from? breeding farms?

Do you think religion is necessary?

Do you think religion will phase out after a few hundred years? Or the opposite?
Thats great....except that after a further deeper translation it seems to number of the beast is 616.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Stephnananana

To be perfectly honest she makes excellent points.
                That's too many coincidences for one company to have just for the labeling and marketing of their product.
                Although I don't think they're promoting devil worship, I'm sure they've had someone talk to them about one or more of the things going on in the video and decided to purposefully continue on along that style/reference.

I think religion is for people who demand an quick and simple answer to their questions and refuse to thoroughly explore the possible answers.
                Example: Someone falls ill, blames it on gods will, says it's a test, etcetc.
                Realistically it's because they've come into contact with toxins or something and their body is having a reaction to it.
                And then if you give them the rational explanation, they'll still say it was gods will for them to be exposed to those toxins because they've already succumb to religion.
except...it is not correct. The number has been translated to actually being 616 Not 666.
The Ice Dervish

Normal Christian lifestyle vs Radical crazy Christian lifestyle (Adding this whole lifestyle thing in for you mods! emotion_donotwant )
Radicals are narrow minded and shallow people. Normal Christians at least are more open minded and very much more respectful imo.

Who produces the most crazies out of the Abrahamic religions? Where do people like this woman even come from? breeding farms?
Crazy people exists everywhere, it has nothing to do with religion.

Yes, it teaches us humility and peace. Sadly, some people have misled others using religion into violence or social manipulation for false justice or simply money.

Do you think religion will phase out after a few hundred years? Or the opposite?

Religion will always continue to survive. Spirituality is an important aspect of human health and emotion. If you consider some good values from each religion, you'll be able to become the person you want to be, the better version of you. Also, there is obscurity of death that will always entice people to probe into religion.

Bashful Bookworm

Marquessa_De_Sade
except...it is not correct. The number has been translated to actually being 616 Not 666.

Except I've never heard of that?
                Neither has many others.
                Popular society isn't about to change what the number of the beast is after all these years.
                It's too much of a hassle and 666 is already associated with devil worship.
                616 doesn't sound nearly as interesting, nor have you provided any sources to help your claim, so no one is going to jump aboard trying to get everyone else to know about this slight change.
                They just don't care enough and are too preoccupied with other things.

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
This is like when you play a song backwards and you hear s**t that sound like it woshiping the devil.

Or like how there are three sixes in the cursive writing of Disney (on top of the "i" the "s" and the bottom of the "y" wink

Appearently, from what I learned at my church way back when I still went, a lot of things in our everyday life have subliminal messages just like these Monster energy drinks. But I don't go looking for these things because there's no way I could live my life in peace.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Stephnananana
Marquessa_De_Sade

Except I've never heard of that?
                Neither has many others.
                Popular society isn't about to change what the number of the beast is after all these years.
                It's too much of a hassle and 666 is already associated with devil worship.
                616 doesn't sound nearly as interesting, nor have you provided any sources to help your claim, so no one is going to jump aboard trying to get everyone else to know about this slight change.
                They just don't care enough and are too preoccupied with other things.
FFS I hate people that cant keep up with news over the past years...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_beast
Note about the Novum Testamentum Graece.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/revelation-666-is-not-the-number-of-the-beast-its-a-devilish-616-526779.html

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/11134/beasts-real-mark-devalued-to-616
Quote:
A fragment from the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament, dating to the Third century, gives the more mundane 616 as the mark of the Antichrist.

http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/08/12/the-devils-number-is-not-666/

http://theologica.ning.com/profiles/blogs/666-is-not-the-number-of-the

Need more????
Does no one actually read anything past the net? Say....newspapers? religion publications? or what, the news?

It may not be "as interesting" (because we all know that is the important ******** accuracy)
"slight change"...again...it is not slight. But HEY who cares...far more "rock and roll" to say 666.
rolleyes stressed

rolleyes rolleyes

Shirtless Detective

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
I knew there was something ******** up about that Monster energy drink.
Bleh.

Runway Icon

18,250 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Fearsome 100
The Ice Dervish

You all entertain me so well, who even comes up with this stuff? Over my time on the internet I've seen quite a few videos like this either shouting on street corners saying stupid s**t or trying to make everything look satanic. One half of me is really fed up with every major religion on this planet for brainwashing people and the other half is laughing at the stupid things they do. People like this are almost worth listening to just for their entertainment value. Keep in mind I'm talking about radicals, not just christian ones either. I also never really see anyone like this coming out of small religions, always out of the big ones. Like, you'll never see a wiccan dissecting the meaning of a product's symbols on a street corner for instance.

Discuss:

I am not like a normal Christian. In fact I'm Christian. I sured that you know, that some things are nasty. I never dissecting symbols. Well I know that peace signs,stars,and diamonds were good. I think the religion is some understanding to it.

Bashful Bookworm

Marquessa_De_Sade
FFS I hate people that cant keep up with news over the past years...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_beast

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/revelation-666-is-not-the-number-of-the-beast-its-a-devilish-616-526779.html

Quote:
A fragment from the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament, dating to the Third century, gives the more mundane 616 as the mark of the Antichrist.

Need more????
Does no one actually read anything past the net? Say....newspapers? religion publications? or what, the news?

It may not be "as interesting" (because we all know that is the important ******** accuracy)
"slight change"...again...it is not slight. But HEY who cares...far more "rock and roll" to say 666.
rolleyes stressed

rolleyes rolleyes

Quote:
                In most manuscripts of the New Testament and in English translations of the Bible, the number of the Beast is 666. In critical editions of the Greek text, such as the Novum Testamentum Graece, it is noted that 616 is a variant.

Variant meaning another option, depending on how you interpret different translations.
                Doesn't make it more correct, just the latest translation.

I don't know why you're getting so worked up about people not giving a ******** about religious news.
                There's much more going on out there than what affects your personal little world, and you're over reacting at someone, and probably everyone else, who really doesn't care about it.
                Calm the ******** down.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Stephnananana
Marquessa_De_Sade

Quote:

Need more????

rolleyes stressed

rolleyes rolleyes

Quote:
                In most manuscripts of the New Testament and in English translations of the Bible, the number of the Beast is 666. In critical editions of the Greek text, such as the Novum Testamentum Graece, it is noted that 616 is a variant.

Variant meaning another option, depending on how you interpret different translations.
                Doesn't make it more correct, just the latest translation.

I don't know why you're getting so worked up about people not giving a ******** about religious news.
                There's much more going on out there than what affects your personal little world, and you're over reacting at someone, and probably everyone else, who really doesn't care about it.
                Calm the ******** down.
Yes apathy is far more endearing.
Listen sweetheart, the world doesnt revolve around one direction and which boy from twilight is hottest. Which anime craze is current and forthcoming.
There is very relevant things happening.
Religions, science, current events...ALL very relevant to those that have a mind open to them.
The reason it is important is because it changes a whole perception of a religion...of a good part of the world.
it changes the very meaning of what was taken as common knowledge.
THAT is important.
NEVER MIND it comes from the oldest known existing part of the testament..no no..that is completely silly stuff.
I shall endeavor instead to get caught up on which video game is the top of the list, who is dating whom in celebrity new and what the latest hair style is on the runway. FAR more important than being current on the latest findings of religion or science...far more...

Yes you have shown me the error of my ways

Bashful Bookworm

Marquessa_De_Sade
Listen sweetheart, the world doesnt revolve around one direction and which boy from twilight is hottest. Which anime craze is current and forthcoming.
Religions, science, current events...ALL very relevant to those that have a mind open to them.
The reason it is important is because it changes a whole perception of a religion...of a good part of the world.
THAT is important.
NEVER MIND it comes from the oldest known existing part of the testament..no no..that is completely silly stuff.
I shall endeavor instead to get caught up on which video game is the top of the list, who is dating whom in celebrity new and what the latest hair style is on the runway. FAR more important than being current on the latest findings of religion or science...far more...

Taking it to Pm to stop spamming this thread. wink
Can't really lump all Christians together - I think if you threw members of some sects in a room together it would erupt into violence. There's crazies in every religion and unfortunately most of the time the most off the wall repugnant of them tend to be 'the vocal minority' and get the most screentime.

Personally I am christian, Swedenborgian like my grandmother, my father's Methodist, and my mum and other grandparents are Presbyterian, and my other grandfather was Episcopalian.

I go to church when I can, when I can't I tend to read religious literature and sometimes the 'daily bread' newsletter the church puts out. But we tend to be rather laid back when it comes to faith in my family, and figure out our own beliefs ourselves, sometimes we discuss them, but we don't tend to get too deep into it.

Personally I find my own religion to be an uplifting positive experience, but I know that it's not the same for everyone else.

I don't believe however that religion will phase out. Mankind has always searched for something to believe, and fought bitterly for it once it was found, unsupported or not. And unfortunately many use religion to their own ends and to force their own opinions on people. I think the world would be a better place if folks were less reactionary about it - and took time to think what they believe, what their scripture says, how it's interpreted, and is it in agreement or blatantly conflicting with what their leaders or whoever is yelling the loudest in the attempt to lead the crowd is saying.

But then that would require people in large groups to be individually rational, and there's been plenty of studies on that showing that that is rarely if ever the case.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Stephnananana
Marquessa_De_Sade
THAT is important.

Taking it to Pm to stop spamming this thread. wink
I...I marvel at your pm...really...I do.....
#sarcasm

Its not spam as it is related to the topic of the thread...another thing you cant grasp?

Here is a clue.
Religion, right, wrong, up or down....is significant due to the fact whole cultures are built on it. Historically and currently.
It is significant for THAT reason.Not because it is right...but because people believe in their religion(which ever one it is). But because it effects the world. Even those that do not believe in religions get effected by it.
That makes it pretty significant.
The fact it is not 666 and that is a long held false hood, -=is=- significant. Even if you stamp your feet and say its not.
The fact they are able to translate the oldest part of the testament known to man...is significant due to the large portion of history it is tied too, the tie to religion, the tie to the world, those small things ya know?

Now go find celeb magazine and stop inboxing me.
I have far better stalkers then you to deal with

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
i believe there is something more to our universe than what meets the eye, but i don't know if its god, gods, spirits or what. what would that be considered?

The Agnostic's Partner

Blessed Friend

Just responding to the questions posited. For the record, I'm answering in my capacity as a Roman Catholic.

The Ice Dervish

Healthy Christianity (and honestly, observance of all religions in my mind) is really about three things in my mind:

First, co-existence with other faiths and a willingness to be open-hearted toward them. That means respecting the choice of the adherents of those religions and also trying to understand why it's important to those adherents. There is always something to be gained by trying to understand something that people draw hope and inspiration from (for instance, one of my good friends is a Hindu and learning about his relationship to his religion and his festivals is very uplifting and mind-opening). It also entails defending them (to the extent of inconsistency -- secular areas should be kept secular areas).

To add to the above point, I don't really like proselytizing and I don't believe in it. Someone explained it to me well the other day: telling someone why you believe something is productive and good. Telling them that they should believe something is intrusive and wrong.

Second, balance. The ability to see things in perspective and be able to step back from your beliefs and behave secularly in secular contexts. That means that if you are a decision maker in a position of power who will be making decisions that affect people who don't share your faith, you have to be able to step back from it and make your decision as impartially as possible. I have an enormous rant about this relating to the church and abortion, but this isn't the place for it.

Third, and one that I feel strongly about: not ******** ignoring the basic, important tenets of morality in your faith. I'm sick to death of Christians who eschew their duty of charity and give literally nothing back and just take take take and think that they're good people (and morally better than others!) just because they sit in a pew on a Sunday.

The Ice Dervish

Re: Breeding farms: in some cases, yes, totally. Mormonism has a bit of a thing about that and if you want a more extreme version, check out Quiverfull Christians. Yikes.

Anyway, the "crazies" you see like the lady in the video are almost always, 90% of the time, produced by weird specifically American denominations of Christianity. Evangelicals, Jehova's Witnesses and similar branches. You know, the ones that depict Jesus as a blue-eyed blonde-haired Caucasian hugging lambs that would vote Republican rather than the surly dark-featured, anti-establishment Jew he actually was. I don't know what drives them to be so obsessed to the point that they absolutely must relate everything in their life back to their religion -- hell, my name is The Devout and I don't do that.

The Ice Dervish

I don't know. I'm going to say "no, but it is for me".

The Ice Dervish

I don't know which way we'll trend, but I definitely do not think the world as a whole is ever going to be entirely atheistic/faithless or entirely theistic (or spiritual, to provide an alternative). At time of writing, only 14~16% of the earth's population is entirely non-religious and/or non-spiritual.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff