Welcome to Gaia! ::

Idk I just think there's something wrong with you if you think it's OK to eat yourself in to a wheelchair.

Discuss:
That.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
well yea
thas proably why they call it a disease
healthy folks dont do that

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Straight to the point. Nice, but not entirely fully expanded viewpoint of your own.

Regardless, I think unless you are mentally/physically unable to prevent resembling a gastropod, and if the obesity is a result of sloth or choice or another variable of the nature where obesity could have been prevented, I don't believe these people should count as disabled or receive disability benefits.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
My understanding is that certain health conditions make it surprisingly difficult to avoid doing so.
so what's up with those fat activists then?
Raven Winter
My understanding is that certain health conditions make it surprisingly difficult to avoid doing so.

why do we see them in wheelchairs or rascals chowing down on a supersized mcdonalds then? Is their health condition making them do that?

Friendly Browser

I'd only consider it a disability if said person has a condition which makes losing weight difficult/nigh impossible.

But if their weight is a result of poor decision making, then no. No, that's not a disability.

Timid Lunatic

User Image

Obesity is not a disability, and it should not be treated as such. However, it is very easy to become fat and very difficult to lose weight. I also think it's easy for people who have always been thin to take their size for granted.

Weight loss is a long, painstaking process that takes months or even years to complete. It involves an entire lifestyle overhaul, and those types of changes are not easy for everyone to adjust to. A lot of people find they can't do it, and honestly, that's understandable.

It's also very true that metabolism comes into play here. And I say this as a former fat person. I have friends who can't gain weight, no matter what they eat. They eat all the foods I used to eat and sit around and do nothing and never gain a pound. Whereas I know if I go back to that sort of lifestyle, I will gain weight in no time at all. In a lot of cases, it's not that fat people "let themselves" get fat; its that their bodies just don't burn calories the way a skinny person's does.

And as far as fat positivity goes, some people are honestly happy in the bodies they have, regardless of weight. It's perfectly understandable to want to project that, instead of falling victim to society's view of fat people, which is generally negative.

User Image

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I don't disagree. I know one or two that are happy to just mooch off the government because of their weight.

But I also know people with lung issues that are on disability because they chose to smoke all their lives.

We all make poor choices at times. We have to live with the consequences, even if it means not being able to do what we want or to have certain levels of freedom.

Invisible Gekko

9,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Nah, it's just a choice. Granted, people use that excuse and it pisses me off, but in the end it is a choice.

Magical Poster

I am overweight but I work two jobs. I am changing my eating habits. I don't mooch off the government. Once I pay off some bills I am getting myself a gym membership. 3nodding

Magnetic Sex Symbol

I don't have the ability to read peoples' minds, so I don't know if someone is disabled due to a health condition or not. My mom is overweight (after being skinny her entire life) because she has a degenerative muscular condition. She is overweight because the condition limits her ability to exercise, she doesn't have the condition because she is overweight. Therefore, I try not to judge too much.

I'm sure there are people who eat themselves into disability but I think people like to exaggerate a lot.

Golden Explorer

12,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Sound and Light
I'd only consider it a disability if said person has a condition which makes losing weight difficult/nigh impossible.

But if their weight is a result of poor decision making, then no. No, that's not a disability.

Mega Ladykiller

what? you can mooch off the government if youre fat? the hell is this?!?

Sparkly Duck

A disability is "a disadvantage or handicap, especially one imposed or recognized by the law." Whether it is brought upon by a choice or not, being morbidly obese is definitely a disability.

Not to say I think they should get benefits from it, unless it's a free gym membership and weight loss brochures. Then again, you are just lumping all fat people in with each other. Some people have legitimate issues that caused the weight gain/prevent the weight loss. Medications can cause weight gain, and genetics can even just... make you fat(although this is a serious medical condition, it affects a very low percentage of our population). Most obese people are just that due to bad choices though, perhaps even some they were forced into(poverty) or how they were brought up(perhaps not the most attentive, strict, or caring parents when it comes to diet).

Then again YOLO eat that s**t up and sit down fatties everywhere, the world is your oyster.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff